Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
How does one explain Starbucks then?
Starbucks back then probably isn't anything like Starbucks now. It is just a name.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM

501 posts, read 776,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
How does one explain Starbucks then?
Everyplace has always had it's city or regional burger favorites (plural), whereas (as much as I'm not a fan) Starbucks pioneered the "gourmet coffee" trend.
I keep hearing that the Cali-transplants (thanks gov!) are driving the I&O craze. Couldn't see myself clamoring for Taco Cabana if we relocated to Michigan...but then I've never had tex-mex there.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
You can't tell the difference? The french fries at In and out were still a potato when you walked in the store. The meat is fresh and never frozen.

If you like the frozen, reheated and processed food at Whataburger, more power to you.

I'll take fresh any day.

Food Quality - In-N-Out Burger

There have been many insinuations, like yours, specifically related to the introduction of In-N-Out franchises in Texas that Whataburger uses frozen beef. Whataburger only uses 100 percent UDSA inspected, fresh, never frozen beef.

Also, I seriously doubt that the fries served with my order were still a potato when "I walked in the store." Yes, I am sure they were cut that day at some point, but I doubt that they actually waited to cut my fries until I ordered them.

So that just leaves the vague reference to processed foods. Which would those be? Are you claiming that they make the In-N-Out sauce fresh in the store every day? Do they package the take out packets in the store too? Is the cheese made in the store? The buns? Ketchup? Mustard? Soft drinks? Do they graze dairy cows on the patch of grass between In-N-Out and Ikea for the milkshakes? Bottom line, the only relevant difference between the the two franchises, from a preparation standpoint, are the fries. In-N-Out cuts theirs fresh, Whataburger uses frozen. Given the taste of the two, I prefer Whataburger's fries.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
When I get the chance to try out in-and-out, I am willing to bet Culver's butterburgers will still be on top for me in the fast food burger department.

What I am predicting is that my personal favorites will be after I try in-and-out, for fast food burger joints will be:

1. Culvers
2. In-and-out
3. Burger King (only certain locations)

Last edited by Azure110; 03-17-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM

169 posts, read 391,809 times
As a recent California transplant and lifelong casual consumer of In-n-Out, I have to say my wife, daughter and I all feel Whataburger is a superior product. First off, my wife can't stand the fries at In-n-Out (I like them just fine, but they are unique). Secondly, the In-n-Out bun always seems greasy and the burger over-salted, by comparison. Y'all will have to draw your own comparisons and opinions, but I figured I would chime in as the exception to the rule: a California transplant who prefers (actually LOVES) Whataburger.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
It's not like it matters. No rational person is going to be able to get In or Out of that place when it opens for several months. All the fat, unemployed people in town are going to start lining up outside a week or so before it opens and the lines, drive-thru and dine in, will come with 2 hour waits. Think back to when Krystals opened in this town for the first time, or even worse still, Krispy Kreme. When a new fast food place opens in San Antonio, it makes the iPhone lines look like a joke.

Sad what people in San Antonio will do to get fatter than they already are...

Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit aren't you?
It's not like healthy people never eat fast food, right?

All this hating on fast food places and heavy people is downright annoying. You all make it sound like it's a simple task to be healthy, all we need to do is get rid of all the chains and fast food places and everyone will be skinny!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
It's not like it matters. No rational person is going to be able to get In or Out of that place when it opens for several months. All the fat, unemployed people in town are going to start lining up outside a week or so before it opens and the lines, drive-thru and dine in, will come with 2 hour waits. Think back to when Krystals opened in this town for the first time, or even worse still, Krispy Kreme. When a new fast food place opens in San Antonio, it makes the iPhone lines look like a joke.

Lol hey brentwood, go eat a burger and relax!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 PM

336 posts, read 483,902 times
I am amazed at how seriously folks take a hamburger in this city

Whether they do well or not, they have mystique going for them and that's going to keep them busy for awhile as they open in San Antonio. People will want to see what the fuss is about. That's gold to any new business, but also an ultimate achilles heel if they don't respect local tastes. Many chains have opened to acclaim in this city, only to close early or close several locations (Krystal, Krispy Kreme, etc).

We can only wait and see

Old 03-17-2014, 07:27 PM

424 posts, read 609,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

Jesus guy, what's your problem? Do you like to be insulting for the sake of being insulting? Back when Krispy Kreme opened here, they were such a national fad that those lines were happening at every krispy kreme. San Antonians forming lines for the opening wasn't unique then and when it happens for I&O, it won't be unique then either. Just look at the videos online of when.they opened in.Dallas you'd have thought they were giving a way bags filled with millions of dollars.

Bottom line, this forum can do without the immature, mean and insulting garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio