U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 PM

15 posts, read 75,423 times

Advertisements

Hi all-
I used to be a teacher in San Antonio back in the 1970's. I went overseas to teach in international schools. I taught in San Antonio for about 6 years and overseas teaching in American/international for about 30 years. I'm contemplating returning to San Antonio at 61 years of age and about to slow down my full time teaching to part-time teaching.

I still plan on venturing overseas to teach a little perhaps and travel around the US, but having a homebase is important, and I think of that homebase as being San Antonio.

These are some of my beliefs and questions. Please correct me if I am wrong. First, San Antonio has a relatively low cost of living, so it's a great place to have as a homebase and travel from. Correct?

Second, since I prefer to not have a yard to tend, I am really only after a little townhouse or condo for single retirees like myself. I've heard the prices range from $100,000 to 150,000? Is that correct?

Third, since I have basically lived outside the USA for a long time, I have no credit rating in the US, although I do have several credit cards from outside the US. Although I have a very comfortable retirement and hefty bank account, I'm sure my FICO score is low. However, if I put a 40%-50%downpayment on a townhouse, can I still get a loan, or a mortgage? Is that becoming very difficult to do?

Fourth, are there a lot of part-time teaching opportunities in the local public schools. In other words, I prefer not to teach full time anymore but rather two or three hours a day. Do schools hire permanent part-time teachers?

If anyone can address these concerns, I'd appreciate it. Take care.

Regards,
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 PM

925 posts, read 892,987 times
I can answer one, two and four.

Yes, SA does offer a low cost of living which should compliment your traveling. Since you ideal residence would a townhouse at the 100k-150k price, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a place.

Some examples:

3 bedrooms - 2 bath for $140,000

2 bedrooms - 2.5 baths for $115,000

As for your final question, it's always seems the local school districts are looking for teachers both full and part time.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
Might also want to look into online teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio