Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good salon to take my daughter. She is biracial and has fine curly hair. I have tried different products per other's suggestions. Everything seems to either weigh her hair down or not moisturize it enough (leaving it looking frizzy). I know better than to wash her hair too often. I make sure to moisturize it really well, especially after a bath. Most nights I apply a little moisturizer and braid it to help lock it in and prevent bad tangles.

She has pretty hair and I want her to be able to embrace her natural hair as she gets older. I would like to find a salon where I can get a professional opinion/guidance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I don't have any salon recommendations and I'm not biracial, but I have natural, curly hair. Kinky Curly is okay, but I use Shea Moisture products. It cost me about $80 to purchase the whole line, but most of the stuff should last 6 months to a year. The only thing I have to buy every couple of months is the gel souffle. Their oil spray keeps my hair moisturized. You can find these at the Walmart and Target on Austin Hwy.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 AM

26 posts, read 93,690 times
I'm not biracial either, but I also have curly hair and am currently looking for a new stylist. I was going to Elva at TR3S Salon, but they've apparently closed and no one's been able to contact Elva (or the other stylists, I guess; not sure on that, but no contact for Elva). It's unfortunate because I really liked the cuts I was getting from her. I tried another place but it didn't work for me, so I think my next will probably be Harmoni Salon: Welcome to Harmoni Salon

They have lots of good reviews, so it looks promising:
Harmoni Salon in San Antonio, TX - Reviews, Photos, and Directions

Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM

46 posts, read 114,253 times
I am not biracial either, but I highly recommend the curly girl method. I straight ironed my hair for years until I started learning how to properly care for my hair. The Naturally Curly website has a message board forum called curl talk ... one of the categories is Parents of Curlys. I have found lots of great info on those boards and highly recommend it: CurlTalk - Powered by vBulletin

They also have a list of salons that practice the curly girl method ... might be a great place to check.

Oh and I buy most of my products at Sally's ... shea moisture, eco styler, BTZ Noodle Head curl cream, GVP Conditioning balm, and aphogee protein treatment are some of my favorite products.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I posted this website a couple of years ago.
Natural Hair Care Salons & Black Hair Care Salons

Natural Hair Care Salons in San Antonio
studio 55 hair salon
1826 north loop 1604 west ste#100
san antonio, TX 78248
210-889-3506

Hollywood Braids
6060 Montgomery Road
Suite 114
San Antonio, TX 78238
(210) 415-7330

Neema's Salon
5100 Fredricksburg Road
Suite 102
San Antonio, TX 78229
1-210-290-9966

sistersabrina
2235 colorado bend
San Antonio, TX 78245

Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyscorpio View Post
I'm not biracial either, but I also have curly hair and am currently looking for a new stylist. I was going to Elva at TR3S Salon, but they've apparently closed and no one's been able to contact Elva (or the other stylists, I guess; not sure on that, but no contact for Elva). It's unfortunate because I really liked the cuts I was getting from her.
I showed this post to my wife, who has been a happy customer of Elva for several years, and she doubts your information. She just had a cut from Elva 2 weeks ago and there was no mention of the salon closing.

She has Elva's direct number. If you'd like to call it, I'll get it from her and send you a PM.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,638 times
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. Right now, we are using the Shea moisture products. I've had the best results with those. I'll definitely look into those websites and salons. My daughter is still very young but I don't want to be that mom that screws her hair up.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,328 times
Default Can you give me Elva's Info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I showed this post to my wife, who has been a happy customer of Elva for several years, and she doubts your information. She just had a cut from Elva 2 weeks ago and there was no mention of the salon closing.

She has Elva's direct number. If you'd like to call it, I'll get it from her and send you a PM.

Hello, I am new to San Antonio. I would like to go to Elva. What salon is she located at and how can I get a hold of her? Thanks so much!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyBrain View Post
Hello, I am new to San Antonio. I would like to go to Elva. What salon is she located at and how can I get a hold of her? Thanks so much!!!
Direct Message sent

Old 12-15-2015, 12:33 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Well dang!
I hope she got her hair did by now!
Been over a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio