U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 AM

175 posts, read 350,300 times

Advertisements

If there is a better place to put this, please do so...
Until recently, SAWS was giving free low flow toilets to any homeowner. Free.
I got one. I want my old one back!!
The brand they gave is 'Caroma' . I had to take the first one they gave me back because the quality control was poor-the bolt holes were not aligned. The new 'water saving toilet', has a 'low' flush for urine and 'high' for stool. I have found out that the low flow does NOT FLUSH TOILET PAPER OR ALL THE URINE!! Yuck!
So I only use the high flush......which does not flush stoll all the way down-you can usually still see toilet paper/stool...yuck again! Sooo, I have to either flush twice routinely, or hold the flush button down so it will flush longer, with more water! Great way to save water, eh?!
SAWS-YOU HAVE NOT MADE A DIFFERENCE IN LOWERING WATER CONSUMPTION-IN FACT WHEN I TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE, WE ALL HAVE TO FLUSH MORE.....USING MORE WATER THAN WE DID WITH OUR OLDER TOILETS! Also, the toilet gets dirty much, much quicker! There is a gray tinge where the water sits, in the bowl. It means more frequent cleaning-once a week isn't enough now.

Bad decision SAWS

If they are still giving away, or restart the program, do not get one!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:27 AM

12,557 posts, read 48,769,342 times
San Antonio Water System- SAWS is no longer offering the water saving toilets. They ran the program for 19yrs.

And like any other government entity, the contract goes to the lowest bidder. Probably a commercial plumbing supply company right in SA that dealt directly with a Chinese manufacturer.

...yes, this thread should probably be in the SA Forum. Definitely NOT in the Decorating Forum.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,177,951 times
Is there the possibility that it can be adjusted? I bought some replacement dual flush kits to convert my toilets to dual flush and once I made sure they were adjusted right they work great.

Maybe do some googling and see if there is a solution?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,014,408 times
I have always been against the SAWS program with their low flow commodes. There's a lot of issues here than just the commode itself. WE got saddled with this "technology" back in the 90's and we had far too many that not only wouldn't flush all of the waste, but the buildup of paper in the sewer lines got to be an issue especially if there was a lot of females in the house. The issue was the standard 4" sewer we used in this area just didn't have enough water volume to keep the water level in the pipe high enough to keep the paper moving. It eventually would clog the system. Everybody finally made the transition to a 3" sewer line and a lot of that went away. But what about houses already built? You obviously are not going to retrofit smaller sewer lines into our slab foundations. The only commode I've seen that has zero issues with the larger sewer pipe is the American Standard Champion 4 at 1.28 gallon flush. When they say flush, it takes less than a second. The flapper valve in the commode tank is something like 4" round or maybe even larger. So the volume of water is extreme to float the solid waste away or at least past the point where the clothes washer discharge volume pushes the solids to the street. If you think you want one of these AS Champion 4 commodes, Home Depot sells them about 100 bucks less than plumbers can buy them at supply houses. I assume they have a contract with AS and that's how they sell them so cheap. But it's still a 200 dollar date plus installation.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

5,629 posts, read 6,438,549 times
I think any of those new toilets with the two button flush option are terrible. When I remodeled my bathroom, I bought two of these toilets and I hate them. I have a hard time even working on them because they do not use the traditional floater ball thingy inside. If the water is too hard then the build up causes them to constantly run. I can't say enough bad things about them honestly.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM

816 posts, read 1,478,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
San Antonio Water System- SAWS is no longer offering the water saving toilets. They ran the program for 19yrs.

And like any other government entity, the contract goes to the lowest bidder. Probably a commercial plumbing supply company right in SA that dealt directly with a Chinese manufacturer.

...yes, this thread should probably be in the SA Forum. Definitely NOT in the Decorating Forum.
From what I have heard, SAWS did NOT select the lowest bidder. Caroma is a well-known manufacturer who actually supplied toilets for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

In reference to the OP, I have not had this experience with Caroma toilets. We have used them on commercial projects without any complaint from the users. In fact, before specifying them, a client and I visited a large downtown hotel that was halfway through a changeout program. We spoke with the hotel manager and maintenance staff, and they did not report any problems. BUT, I will say that the comments posted will make me do some additional research (the ones at our church never seem to have a problem, though).

Do I have them in my own house? No. SAWS had already replaced our original toilets with a first generation low flow model over a decade ago. Now THOSE toilets didn't work well at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM

816 posts, read 1,478,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The only commode I've seen that has zero issues with the larger sewer pipe is the American Standard Champion 4 at 1.28 gallon flush. When they say flush, it takes less than a second. The flapper valve in the commode tank is something like 4" round or maybe even larger. So the volume of water is extreme to float the solid waste away or at least past the point where the clothes washer discharge volume pushes the solids to the street.
I completely agree with this statement. This is the model toilet we replaced the older "low flow" toilets with in our house.

Interesting observations. I know that the waterless urinals have had reported problems, but I had not thought about the low flow toilets not having enough water to properly carry the waste away in larger pipes.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,866,895 times
I hate them too!

The way the water sits the easily get dirty when going number 2.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM

7,660 posts, read 8,130,383 times
I didnt so much have a problem with the Caromas except when the mechanism failed and it was time to replace it, no one carried it. It had to be ordered at some stupid amount like $39.95. I replaced them with American Standard water savers and have been extremely happy with them.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,027,516 times
I highly recommend the American Standard Champion 4. I changed out my 1951 model commode that used seven gallons per flush and frequently would clog. The 1.6 gallon per flush Champion 4 has not clogged in the three years I have owned it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio