U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM

4,275 posts, read 6,661,772 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling kinda unwell so I've just been laying in bed all day. But I know that it's below freezing outdoors. So I'm laying here with my head atop a comfy pillow & it seems to be that there's a lot more airliner noise than usual. Do they have to increase the throttle due to the cold air temperatures? Or is it something else?

Or is it just my crazy imagination? Anyone else notice what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,830,718 times
Atmospheric conditions can amplify the effects of the noise, and depending on weather conditions, they do alter the approaches/departures. When it is foggy, or there is a low ceiling, the planes approaching SAT come in from the NW right over the Fair Oaks area, and drop out of the clouds right over my neighborhood. You can almost count rivets some times.

In other news, hope you're back to feeling well soon.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,524,869 times
I believe that SAT is required to route as many flight to the north as possible now due to noise issue complaints from neighborhoods from the south.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,330,271 times
Probably a combo of some reroutes due to weather, and the cloud cover bouncing the sound downwards.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

3,157 posts, read 5,196,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I believe that SAT is required to route as many flight to the north as possible now due to noise issue complaints from neighborhoods from the south.
I don't think that has anything to do with it. The FAA determines which runway would be most appropriate, based on a number of factors, and one of the primary determining factors is wind direction. Winds have been out of the north today, and airplanes ideally take off into the wind.

I thought I saw them using Runway 4 for departures earlier today, which would mean they are taking off in a NE direction. Also, we have a cloud deck, which helps to deflect the noise back down toward the ground. Runway 4-22 had been closed for several months until recently, for construction projects.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM

4,275 posts, read 6,661,772 times
Interesting stuff. Thanks, everyone!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 PM

500 posts, read 801,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with it. The FAA determines which runway would be most appropriate, based on a number of factors, and one of the primary determining factors is wind direction.
Absolutely THE primary determining factor.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,764,873 times
Quote:
I don't think that has anything to do with it. The FAA determines which runway would be most appropriate, based on a number of factors, and one of the primary determining factors is wind direction. Winds have been out of the north today, and airplanes ideally take off into the wind.

I thought I saw them using Runway 4 for departures earlier today, which would mean they are taking off in a NE direction. Also, we have a cloud deck, which helps to deflect the noise back down toward the ground. Runway 4-22 had been closed for several months until recently, for construction projects.
To be totally correct, the pilot usually has a choice in which runway to utilize and according to his operating parameters make the final decision. For instance, there are times I will use runway 4, even with a slight tailwind, since it is closest and points me in the direction I want to go.

With a cloud deck and cold air, sound is intensified and travels farther.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM

874 posts, read 1,165,833 times
SAT has been routing traffic for past several days onto runway 4-22 for inbound. They often do this when winds are favorable (winter) and allows them to do maintenance on 12R-30L. And since 4-22 was closed for construction for a while, they no doubt have plenty of maintenance to do. Maintenance actions may include things like rubber removal, which is critical to keeping it safe for landing during wet conditions. If you live south of the airport you will get plenty of traffic on approach coming in low over the city when they make this change.
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1402/00369AD.PDF

Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
Quote:

True, but noise abatement is a big consideration and is factered into the direction of a plane's climb rate and direction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio