U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 AM

874 posts, read 1,396,249 times

Advertisements

I lived in San Antonio for many years and it isn't culturally diverse, like everyone else is saying in this thread. It's pretty much Mexico (they reclaimed it by emigration, lol). It's mostly hispanic/latino and the culture is Mexican style. You'll see this in architecture, restaurants, religion (mainly Catholicism), etc. Relating to climate, it is almost always warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisforumistrash View Post
She was referring to Texas politics, not San Antonio. San Antonio is very much blue. Right leaning radio is in every major city. There's a reason liberal/progressive radio stations like AirAmerica failed nationwide, it's because liberal and progressives are a completely different animal to converatives/republicans. Not only are they incredibly younger (Fox News average viewer being over 65 years old) they also tend/tended not to be radio listeners. They listen to internet radio stations, have a paid monthly subscription to a music service, listen to podcasts, or just feel their phone with music from itunes or google play or whatever.

It's like a Tiger needing hundreds of pounds of meat to survive and a blue sperm whale eating millions of pounds of krill a day. Different animals with different tastes.
So misguided.

Not only does Fox News beat the others they win in the coveted demo.

What you failed to say is yes Fox News viewers are old but so are the rest watching CNN and MSNBC.

Good luck living in a hole.

The average age of Fox News viewers is 68 and a majority of them are politically conservative and white | Mail Online

Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,016 times
Diverse means a great deal of variety..San Antonio has 2 predominant ethnicities, so I wouldn't consider it truly diverse. It;s what one would expect for an area so close to the Mexican border. I grew up in an area that was very culturally diverse (race,ethnicity,and religion), so I wouldn't consider SA truly diverse.

I would, however, consider it a friendly, welcoming area. You will just never know if you like it until you try it.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,064,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
So misguided.

What you failed to say is yes Fox News viewers are old but so are the rest watching CNN and MSNBC.

The average age of Fox News viewers is 68 and a majority of them are politically conservative and white | Mail Online
My! So defensive about Fox news!

I get my news from a variety of sources. You have to these days. Everyone has an agenda.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM

175 posts, read 349,353 times
Angel
What you are asking is not a simple answer. There is a vast amount of data that makes a city what it is! Are you latino, hispanic, mexican? San Antonio is 75% this category. Or more. ..

The bad first:
Scmidty223 is probably the closest. This is mexican, not spanish, there being a big difference. The liberalism here is suffocating... And Obamacare is so adored because the attitude here is 'gimme gimme gimme-I want it free!
I have many hispanic friends, who are very offended if they are considered 'mexican', because they are not from Mexico and want no relationship with Mexico. They are from Spain, Costa Rica, Venazula. I also have a few mexican friends who are great. A couple have family from Mexico a few generations back, but their families culture frowns on the mexican people sneaking over the border, bringing drugs and the general illegal activity of mexicans coming to USA to get something on the sly. Their families came here did the legal thing and are proud of what they did. Coming from the northern midwest/northeast, San Antonio is very behind-the 'family's black sheep'. It is not a formal city like you tend to find in the midwest/northeastern areas. No getting cleaned up and makeup to run to the grocery store here! You will see people at the grocery stores in pajamas/slippers!
There was never any forethought to the building of the city. Obviously this is not the only city with this problem-but with such a huge population I think it impacts the city more. There was no well thought out planning for future (that being now) increasing traffic. Drivers are rude here. And dangerous. No such thing as having one car length for every 10 miles per hour between you and the car ahead-as soon as you make a safety space some fool cuts in. Very rude. There is constant building of roads without an end result being better traffic flow or safety. It is a city where there are at least one, if not more murders/drive by shootings/stabbings per day. Drunk driving is a severe problem here-the police dept is trying to do something about it but that is an uphill battle. The drug trade is out of this world just as any border town. I have a couple Philippine friends who are retired and ended up here from being retired military. None of these people I know would consider speaking Spanish, Italian, etc in public-they came to the United States to live a better life, proud to serve the USA and consider it very rude not to speak english while in public.. San Antonio city would be considered mexican, not Spanish. The census shows 75% mexican, 25% anglo. With all the illegals sneaking across the border I think the 75% is very low. Out of town are old german communities/towns-many Pfeifer, Schmidt, Baker, etc. strict hard working. Hardworking, clean towns that do not want to be involved in the city. Very nice. Yes, you will have culture shock! I am also from the midwest-Ann Arbor, Mi is home. I grew up mostly in Mi, went to college in AA and have worked in govt health dept all over the country.. I have lived in several mixed cultures and loved it. I consider myself well lived .San Antonio was/is a terrible shock. I have been ripped off by almost every tradesman here, until I got to know some retired military friends who know of good honorable people to work with. All the houses look the same-ugly, stucco. Every builder builds the same Tudor/Supposedly Spanish (which is not Spanish at all)- it is heavy, ornate, arched doorways. Every kitchen is the same boring style. (I love modern, simplistic), just the "same ole', same ole' "... Being in a huge city you will notice how filthy it is here-garbage all over-people seem to think that when done drinking their coffee it is appropriate to open your car window and toss out your trash. I guess they think the ground is the trash can. The people don't seem to take care of their vehicles-look at the parking lots and see the huge areas on the ground that has filthy oil all over the ground! Gross. I am used to better manners- when two people approach a doorway, the first person holds the door for the second person. A male ALWAYS holds doors for females. When driving, you don't cut other cars off. When at a grocery store you say "excuse me" when you walk in front of someone who is looking for something. When you come into a building, especially a home, you take your hat off. You do not crowd another person in any circumstance-yes, some people have less/more "personal" space, but under no circumstance do you stand on someone's heels! I see people walking their dogs in neighborhoods-the dogs are allowed to lift their leg on the plants/flowers, then the dog sh*#*! On the other persons property/public place and the owner stands there like they 'have no idea the animal just #*^!! And they walk away without picking it up....sick.
The fresh foods are mostly from Mexico/South America, where they do not have laws regarding pesticides, fertilizers, people are not educated on the need for careful handling, which spreads food-borne illnesses.
Almost 100% of building contractors use illegals for building their homes. They can't read or have building skills, therefore your home is really poorly built, even if it looks like a dream from the outside. Getting somebody from the corner downtown without true training by a good builder is asking for trouble in the long run. Everybody does it. The worker might be legal but still does not have the education for building-the laborer is a very important part of building your house...

The good:
There are several good, smaller stores where you can buy harder than usual to find items-in smaller amounts.
Lots of things to do in Boerne, Fredricksburg, Austin (outlet malls in San Marcos, if you like to shio ).
Lots of hospital choices.
You can buy certified organic foods more easily here.
Because there are so many doctors/colleges, you can get great healthcare-beware-just like anywhere, there are not so good doctors....Houston has some of the best in the US specialty docs.
You can participate in healthcare trials if you wish.
Lots of art shows both inside and out.
Many clubs to join in what you like to do.
Property tax relief for >65 year olds! Do not know about other cities in Texas...
Many restaurants!
You can take any college course you want because there are good colleges. (Not considering proprietary colleges)

There will be more/less good, depending on what you are involved in... But to go back to your question on whether you will have culture shock, I would say "yes-very definitely".
Part of it will depend on how educated you are, what kind of environment you are used to, how tolerant you are of illegal activities, if you are used to a clean lifestyle/city.
If you come from inner city Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Tampa, St Louis kind of life/city, you will fit in fine, as you are already used to crime, filth. If you are used to a smaller, clean, well mannered place where clean, manners, higher education is stressed, live in a low crime area now, there will be a lot of stress moving to this kind of city.
Many people who live in bigger, not so nice cities in a general way will be appalled that their city is viewed as 'not so nice', but when you live in it for a long time or all your life you become very accustomed to it and know nothing else, so it seems 'nice/normal to you!

Hope whatever you do, you enjoy and are safe!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default Nutty Post,Aghast at the B.S.,

Am here after having lived in Detroit Metro area for years, and this is one whacko post.Some truth somewhere in it I will not indulge, but to me... stating that if you lived in or are used to Detroit you will be fine in San Antonio, comparing San Antonio and Detroit tells me how out of touch you were with the City of Detroit, Michigan. This destroys the credibility of the entire post. I am intimately acquainted with Detroit,mi
and San Antonio is nothing like it.
Ann ARBOR is far more removed from Detroit than 30 miles of distance.
Too many discrepancies to mention in this post.
San Antonio is not a part of Mexico and has not been reclaimed by Mexico.Nor is it like Detroit.
One of the top five most whacko entries I have ever read here at the forum.
I would accept ,Angel ...about 10% of this entry seriously.
So mixed up is this interpretation of this city that I, personally, would not accept any of it as serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Angel
What you are asking is not a simple answer. There is a vast amount of data that makes a city what it is! Are you latino, hispanic, mexican? San Antonio is 75% this category. Or more. ..

The bad first:
Scmidty223 is probably the closest. This is mexican, not spanish, there being a big difference. The liberalism here is suffocating... And Obamacare is so adored because the attitude here is 'gimme gimme gimme-I want it free!
I have many hispanic friends, who are very offended if they are considered 'mexican', because they are not from Mexico and want no relationship with Mexico. They are from Spain, Costa Rica, Venazula. I also have a few mexican friends who are great. A couple have family from Mexico a few generations back, but their families culture frowns on the mexican people sneaking over the border, bringing drugs and the general illegal activity of mexicans coming to USA to get something on the sly. Their families came here did the legal thing and are proud of what they did. Coming from the northern midwest/northeast, San Antonio is very behind-the 'family's black sheep'. It is not a formal city like you tend to find in the midwest/northeastern areas. No getting cleaned up and makeup to run to the grocery store here! You will see people at the grocery stores in pajamas/slippers!
There was never any forethought to the building of the city. Obviously this is not the only city with this problem-but with such a huge population I think it impacts the city more. There was no well thought out planning for future (that being now) increasing traffic. Drivers are rude here. And dangerous. No such thing as having one car length for every 10 miles per hour between you and the car ahead-as soon as you make a safety space some fool cuts in. Very rude. There is constant building of roads without an end result being better traffic flow or safety. It is a city where there are at least one, if not more murders/drive by shootings/stabbings per day. Drunk driving is a severe problem here-the police dept is trying to do something about it but that is an uphill battle. The drug trade is out of this world just as any border town. I have a couple Philippine friends who are retired and ended up here from being retired military. None of these people I know would consider speaking Spanish, Italian, etc in public-they came to the United States to live a better life, proud to serve the USA and consider it very rude not to speak english while in public.. San Antonio city would be considered mexican, not Spanish. The census shows 75% mexican, 25% anglo. With all the illegals sneaking across the border I think the 75% is very low. Out of town are old german communities/towns-many Pfeifer, Schmidt, Baker, etc. strict hard working. Hardworking, clean towns that do not want to be involved in the city. Very nice. Yes, you will have culture shock! I am also from the midwest-Ann Arbor, Mi is home. I grew up mostly in Mi, went to college in AA and have worked in govt health dept all over the country.. I have lived in several mixed cultures and loved it. I consider myself well lived .San Antonio was/is a terrible shock. I have been ripped off by almost every tradesman here, until I got to know some retired military friends who know of good honorable people to work with. All the houses look the same-ugly, stucco. Every builder builds the same Tudor/Supposedly Spanish (which is not Spanish at all)- it is heavy, ornate, arched doorways. Every kitchen is the same boring style. (I love modern, simplistic), just the "same ole', same ole' "... Being in a huge city you will notice how filthy it is here-garbage all over-people seem to think that when done drinking their coffee it is appropriate to open your car window and toss out your trash. I guess they think the ground is the trash can. The people don't seem to take care of their vehicles-look at the parking lots and see the huge areas on the ground that has filthy oil all over the ground! Gross. I am used to better manners- when two people approach a doorway, the first person holds the door for the second person. A male ALWAYS holds doors for females. When driving, you don't cut other cars off. When at a grocery store you say "excuse me" when you walk in front of someone who is looking for something. When you come into a building, especially a home, you take your hat off. You do not crowd another person in any circumstance-yes, some people have less/more "personal" space, but under no circumstance do you stand on someone's heels! I see people walking their dogs in neighborhoods-the dogs are allowed to lift their leg on the plants/flowers, then the dog sh*#*! On the other persons property/public place and the owner stands there like they 'have no idea the animal just #*^!! And they walk away without picking it up....sick.
The fresh foods are mostly from Mexico/South America, where they do not have laws regarding pesticides, fertilizers, people are not educated on the need for careful handling, which spreads food-borne illnesses.
Almost 100% of building contractors use illegals for building their homes. They can't read or have building skills, therefore your home is really poorly built, even if it looks like a dream from the outside. Getting somebody from the corner downtown without true training by a good builder is asking for trouble in the long run. Everybody does it. The worker might be legal but still does not have the education for building-the laborer is a very important part of building your house...

The good:
There are several good, smaller stores where you can buy harder than usual to find items-in smaller amounts.
Lots of things to do in Boerne, Fredricksburg, Austin (outlet malls in San Marcos, if you like to shio ).
Because there are so many doctors/colleges, you can get great healthcare-beware-just like anywhere, there are not so good doctors....Houston has some of the best in the US specialty docs.
Property tax relief for >65 year olds! Do not know about other cities in Texas...
Many restaurants!
You can take any college course you want because there are good colleges. (Not considering proprietary colleges)

There will be more/less good, depending on what you are involved in... But to go back to your question on whether you will have culture shock, I would say "yes-very definitely".
Part of it will depend on how educated you are, what kind of environment you are used to, how tolerant you are of illegal activities, if you are used to a clean lifestyle/city.
If you come from inner city Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Tampa, St Louis kind of life/city, you will fit in fine, as you are already used to crime, filth. If you are used to a smaller, clean, well mannered place where clean, manners, higher education is stressed, live in a low crime area now, there will be a lot of stress moving to this kind of city.
Many people who live in bigger, not so nice cities in a general way will be appalled that their city is viewed as 'not so nice', but when you live in it for a long time or all your life you become very accustomed to it and know nothing else, so it seems 'nice/normal to you!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,235,462 times
Quote:
Angel

The bad first:

The good:
Many restaurants!

Your stats are off.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Am here after having lived in Detroit Metro area for years, and this is one whacko post.Some truth somewhere in it I will not indulge, but to me... stating that if you lived in or are used to Detroit you will be fine in San Antonio, comparing San Antonio and Detroit tells me how out of touch you were with the City of Detroit, Michigan. This destroys the credibility of the entire post. I am intimately acquainted with Detroit,mi
and San Antonio is nothing like it.
Ann ARBOR is far more removed from Detroit than 30 miles of distance.
Too many discrepancies to mention in this post.
San Antonio is not a part of Mexico and has not been reclaimed by Mexico.Nor is it like Detroit.
One of the top five most whacko entries I have ever read here at the forum.
I would accept ,Angel ...about 10% of this entry seriously.
So mixed up is this interpretation of this city that I, personally, would not accept any of it as serious.
I'm glad you said something! I didn't even know where to start with this. I too give that post major side eye.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 AM

424 posts, read 508,492 times
Quote:
Angel

The bad first:

The good:
Many restaurants!

I tend to not take seriously the things said by those who are unable to write a proper post with sentence breaks, paragraph spaces, etc.

Also, another thing that is a no-no, throwing out statistics without any cited sources. It's even worse when those statistics are completely bogus and for all intents and purposes, made up from thin air.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,408,798 times
Default Fos News,

Fox News is not news, It is opinion.
Useless. Watch ther Rev. Roberts it is more factual at least. The radio stations here are truly unbelievable, I listen to them for humor. So skewed are they that the entire rest of the
nation would also be bemused by the utterances.
To be politically correct, this is not hillbillyspeak- these are Texan-Americans. I use this term loosely,
very loosely too. Not for much longer will these unrealsitic musings go on forever , such b.s. cannot be purported to be truth and not be questioned.
Never have I encountered such propaganda anywhere .
" There is a "war" on traditional values
on Texas and Obama wants to take our guns away!" a radio ad claims incessantly all day. This is called brainwashing.
Fox "News" wins the dunce award, as does KTSA and WOAI.
I have never heard such prevarications in my life, uttered loudly and proudly as though
it were all facts, particularly the political adds that are being broadcast over the airwaves for the next election.
"Obama's America is not our America,(racist rant) elect someone who will standup to Obama's imperial presidency, and will stop the flow of illegal immigrants."

"Who creates more jobs than anywhere else? Texas. Obama should come to Texas and learn something." Elect so and so!

"Obama has changed the very fabric of America !" (to the sound of an eagle shrieking in the background)

Conservative backers keep money flowing into these radio stations, this stuff is hilarious
because it is so far to the right. Completely false , this is what some want to hear.

" Elect so and so , because he stands up to Obama ever day. He stands up for Texas."

"Guns and freedom are our heritage, don't let Obama take this away."

" A stance on gay marriage,no, elect so and so." This goes on all day.
Amusing as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
So misguided.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio