U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,061 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the great suggestions, i will be maintaining my current job and salary no matter where I decide to live. Just really want to spend less and get more than I do in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM

520 posts, read 601,566 times
I'm paying less than $1700 for 2 acres and 3/3/2 80's custom at the west edge of town. As others have said, you'll do fine in that range.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM

424 posts, read 509,071 times
I've encountered many California transplants and they all love it here. They all pretty much agree that summer could be less hot but otherwise, they love it here. I think you would too.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,548,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to leave LA View Post
Thank you all for the great suggestions, i will be maintaining my current job and salary no matter where I decide to live. Just really want to spend less and get more than I do in LA.

You could go almost anywhere in the country to do that.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM

179 posts, read 196,004 times
river rd area off st.marys.......

Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,061 times
Thanks! I will maintain my current job and salary, the airport is a concern though that I hadn't really thought about- i travel just about every week for work.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I will maintain my current job and salary, the airport is a concern though that I hadn't really thought about- i travel just about every week for work.

I travel frequently as well. Get used to connections. AA- Dallas UA- Houston although since UA merger there are a few more non stops...but to UA hubs (DEN, SFO, EWR etc). Sure, it's only a 45 minute flight to DFW...but it adds hours, depending on which connection you book...can't cut it too close either.
I'm an AA guy, so its DFW for me...SAT has something like 15+ flights a day up to DFW... but when they get fouled up....it sucks!!!!! Especially on the return, when you can get to Dallas...but not all the way to SAT! Then to decide whether to drive the gauntlet that I-35 is.. 4 1/2 hours or wait til morning...been flying for 17 years and don't know how many times I've had to make that decision. Usually depends on the time of night and weather.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,363,165 times
Quote:
UA has non stop flights to LAX and SFO, and Denver and Houston as hubs. AA to DFW is pretty much all there is except for some small cities in TX. Southwest does the same. Delta to Atlanta.

But that's the tradeoff. This is really a small city, despite the numbers (we're not REALLY the 7th largest if you compare metro areas). I do love that I can get to the airport in 10-15 minutes, even during rush hour (I live downtown), and I can get in and out in a short time, but it does stink for non-stop options. And don't expect that to change any time soon.

I'd research your usual destinations and see how much that impacts you.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM

172 posts, read 201,608 times
I am originally from the LA area and have lived here now for about 7 years. Regarding the airport question, its a give and take, yes you do not have all the direct flights that say LAX has, however, you can also get to the SA airport 45 minutes before your flight and make the flight without any real issue (I travel several times a year for work). It's a small airport, but doesn't ever seem to be too overly crowded, especially when compared to LAX. The longest I think I have ever waited to get through security was 30 minutes, but typical wait time is about 5 to 10 minutes.

So, yes, you will most likely have to do a connection, but you also won't have to get to the airport 2 to 3 hours early just to get through god awful LAX security. Also there are several direct flights to the other cities, however it may only be 1 direct flight per day to that city.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
I am originally from the LA area and have lived here now for about 7 years. Regarding the airport question, its a give and take, yes you do not have all the direct flights that say LAX has, however, you can also get to the SA airport 45 minutes before your flight and make the flight without any real issue (I travel several times a year for work). It's a small airport, but doesn't ever seem to be too overly crowded, especially when compared to LAX. The longest I think I have ever waited to get through security was 30 minutes, but typical wait time is about 5 to 10 minutes.

So, yes, you will most likely have to do a connection, but you also won't have to get to the airport 2 to 3 hours early just to get through god awful LAX security. Also there are several direct flights to the other cities, however it may only be 1 direct flight per day to that city.
...true, but the OP travels nearly every week..just as I do. This makes a HUGE difference. Believe me, the connections are a PITA!! For people who only travel several times a year it's not that big a deal. Most frequent travelers have Pre-Check or Clear nowadays and don't have to get to the airport early..not 2-3 hours anyway (yes, even LAX, just went through there last week). The rest of your post about our airport is spot on..hardly every crowded, unless Lackland sends buses full of airmen all at the same time, which does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio