U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,348,852 times

Advertisements

OK, I understand that I am OLD and stuck in the dark ages....just finally getting around to getting an MP3 of some type.

Here is where I need your help, which would you choose and why? I really don't need to have 20,000 songs on one...don't think I could pick more than 200 that I would want anyway, but WOULD like to be able to perhaps look at a TV show or movie on a flight.

I know that middle IPOD thingee just got revamped to having a wider screen...will that be the same (viewing) as a bigger (with lots more storage space) type.

If not IPOD, recommendations please?

Thanks for your help...this is going to be my Birthday/Anniversary/Christmas gift and since I have waited so long, want to get it right.

Looking for easy load, nothing I have to wait til my 18 yr old is home to help with. He has IPOD, but heck, I still almost have to ask for help resetting the DVD when the power goes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 AM

616 posts, read 1,854,826 times
I think an iPod nano is your best bet. They recently revamped it to have a widescreen video player like the bigger iPod does. It's small, it comes in cute colors, and the iTunes software is about ten times easier to use than any other music software.

There are other options, but they are really pretty terrible compared to the simplicity and ease of use of the iPod, and would, in my opinion, require you to be much more comfortable with fiddling with recalcitrant technology than I think you are.

I would get the 8 gig over the 4 gig if you think you would use it more to watch video than listen to music.

Of course, the ultimate to watch video on would be an iPod Touch, which is basically an iPhone minus the phone service. It's a full working iPod with built in wi-fi and internet access.

A final note - I wouldn't buy it at Wal Mart or Best Buy. Get it at the Apple store at La Cantera; the service is better and they have a better return policy.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,435,459 times
I have the Ipod video (5th generation I believe) and would LOVE to have the new Ipod touch. My daughter has the regular Ipod that just will allow you to add songs.

I love my Ipod video. I've got a DVD ripper program and have ripped some DVDs and put them on my Ipod...came in REAL handy when we drove to Disney World last summer and kept my son very well occupied. Plus I've downloaded a bunch of my CDs to it too.

There's also the Ipod shuffle--on sale at Target for about $77 and will allow you to store about 240 songs.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,616,089 times
I've got a Creative Labs Zen Vision and I love the thing. Got a couple of shows (Thomas the train for the 4 yr old to watch) and a movie for me on it plus songs I will never listen to but it also is a recorder and FM tuner and syncs up with outlook on the big puter for the datebook and contacts if you like. Does lots of stuff had it about 1.5 yrs and no problems, I have a 30GB and Mr. has a 60GB.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM

634 posts, read 2,705,114 times
IPOD's are the best thing you can buy out there for the quality. They are really reliable and easy to use. I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

I used to have a Sony MP3 player, but it constantly froze and wasn't as enjoyable as an IPOD. You can store information on an IPOD, it has a clock, and you can sort them buy a number of categories the way you want it. It also has a light up screen which is easier to see.

If you want to convert a CD's songs into mp3 units, You will have to put your CD into the computer. Then a little screen should pop up saying if you want to burn it or put it on the computer or something. After that it should start copying songs onto the computer.

But first, you have to have I-Tunes which is a music program on the computer that you put your songs on to put onto your IPOD. You can download it from Apple - iPod + iTunes

You will have to sync your IPOD when you get new songs onto ITUNES.

It sounds complicated, but it's actually fairly easy. Although you might have to ask your 18 year old for help. You will quickly get the hang of it.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,352,318 times
I'm a big fan of about-dot-com: Welcome to About.com. Whenever I have questions about new products, new technology, or just anything I want or need to know more about, I go to - well, yeah, "about.com".

Here's a link to the i-pod guy:

iPod - iPod Reviews - iPod Tutorials - How to Use iPod - Using iTunes

and here's a short, very incomplete list of some topics... this is a FRACTION of what he covers/answers:::

Has introduction to i-pods in general, 'before you buy' article, product reviews, intro to i-tunes and to i-phone, 'how-tos', troubleshooting, 'i-pod culture' (?sounds interesting?), glossary... and on and on it goes....

I love about.com...
Hope this helps!!!

Where ya flyin' to?

PGR

Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 AM

okay, on the about.com site, this is probably the most comprehensive, and probably cuts to the chase about what you need to know before buying...

(I have also been thinking of buying one for a long time now, so I'm glad you brought this up; I just haven't taken the time to research anything about it, except to ask my brother, long distance, over the phone..... )

iPod Comparison Chart - iPod Comparison - iPod Features Comparison

ETA: also, the little covers for them are toooo cute, and sooo many to choose from... LOLOLOL.....

Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 AM

oooh, another important one: adding videos:
Add DVDs to iPod with Videora – Download and Install Videora - iPod DVD Converter – Converter iPod Videora

okay, I'll shut up now....

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 AM

ESP - 160GB Digital Photo Album and Multimedia Player: Wolverine Data

This one, although kinda pricy, sounds/looks nice.... they give a little tour of everything it will do.... but it's $500...

I think HyunSoo is right about the ipod being the best, but I will still look around a bit myself....

I still haven't read up enough about the compatibility... can't seem to get past the 'apple' brand working with windows/microsoft, etc...

Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM

778 posts, read 2,219,019 times
My daughter has an iPod and I noticed when I copied all her music from the family computer to her new laptop, there was some issues with being able to play them until she went and did something with her account.

I'm not looking to steal music and will gladly pay the .99 per song or whatever, but I would like to be be able to download a song, use it in a compilation of photos (I.E. Microsoft Moviemaker) and make copies of the compilation available to others. Is that something that can be done without each person I give the file to having to purchase the song?

By the way, lots of good info from this page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio