Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Right? There's like 7 Walmarts in Plano. Leon Springs will be fine.
More like 3 in Plano proper, excluding the neighborhood market stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM

424 posts, read 606,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
More like 3 in Plano proper, excluding the neighborhood market stores.
How do you exclude neighborhood market. It's still Wal-Mart.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
How do you exclude neighborhood market. It's still Wal-Mart.
Right but I thought the focus of this thread was on the supercenter stores. I don't think there would be as much opposition to the neighborhood market stores as the supercenter because they won't generate as much traffic and all other problems people associate with the supercenter stores.

Even if you add the neighbrhood stores in Plano proper, the total count is 5 stores under Wal-Mart.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM

38 posts, read 110,697 times
From Stage Run's facebook page (the neighborhood that will be most affected by a Walmart in Leon Springs):

"Here is an update on Walmart. They are coming! They will be breaking ground in 2015. It will take a bit less than a year to get the store open. They will be open 24 hours a day."

Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 AM

671 posts, read 687,049 times
Unhappy Bummer...we have too many wallies already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
The HOA that you are a part of should band together, possibly with your city council person, and proactively set up a meeting with representatives of the developer and Walmart. That said, until plans are submitted to the city (I don't think this has happened yet), it may be difficult to get those type of meetings.

I have mentioned this development to a member of the Stage Run HOA board in the past year or so, and it was news to them when I brought it up. Stage Run backs to this development. Needless to say, their HOA and others in the area are sure to mount massive opposition once plans are submitted. Walmart already knows this and will likely come to the table day one with concessions, but it is important that they are pushed beyond their initial offer.

A landscape buffer zone would include a non-developed green space on the edge of the development that could be a minimal area of 15-25 feet wide or the neighborhood may be able to push for something larger, especially considering the homes and Leon Creek in the area. If the HOA's are on their game, they should try to get funding for hike/bike trails along Leon Creek for its length along Boerne Stage road and funds to improve roads in the area. Also, setting aside funds to use for the inevitable garbage pickup around the store and creek once it opens would be nice.

Just a few ideas to noodle on.
Great ideas, BoerneMan!!! I hope local HOA's read this and try at least, to do something...

We need more "diversity" of stores in the area. I love Wholefoods - and the NW definitely would benefit from that store vs. another Walmart. For heaven's sake, there's one just 2-3 miles south of Leon Springs, and another 5-6 miles north in Boerne!!!!

Are they aiming for a Walmart on EVERY street corner???

Bummer...

Dandiday

Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 5,613,920 times
Walmart, from what I've heard, are not doing so well financially as some other large store chains. So why are they expanding so much? Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 PM

432 posts, read 519,245 times
Target has hit big headwinds financially recently.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 39,385 times
I heard it was going to be a 150,000 sq ft SuperCenter.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Default Defeat Walmart

Every dollar spent in a big box chain like Walmart returns 13 cents back to the local economy. A locally owned independent business returns approximately 45 cents of each dollar spent back to the community. Plus, at a rally in March 2012 against a new Walmart "Neighborhood Mart" moving into Los Angeles' Chinatown, employees argued the retailer's low wages have driven them to depend on food stamps and Medi-Cal, California's Medicaid program. As organizer James Elmendorf put it, "Walmart asks for taxpayers to subsidize their bad business practices." Support locally owned businesses!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,353,941 times
Hmmm.... wonder if this news will have any impact?

Wal-Mart to close hundreds of stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio