U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 AM
 
5,624 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Reputation: 3594

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
You put your opinion on the table, I put facts. Now you are backtracking.

Why would you even tell such a story in a thread where you are bashing cops...and when called out on it, moderate the sentiment?

You live in a myopic world. The sad thing is, you could actually come to understand that which you dont really like. You could still feel exactly the same way, but you wouldnt be so passionate against something and so ignorant about it at the same time. It would give credibility to your statements as oppossed to the fairly raw feelings you emote with little regard to any facts.
What you are doing is taking my words and twisting them to your advantage and also to avoid answering my questions outright. Again, at no point I was "bashing" cops. "I challenge you" to point out where you feel I was bashing in this specific thread using the definition of bashing linked here: Bashing | Define Bashing at Dictionary.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
These threads always crack me up. Traffic enforcement has been a part of the automobile experience since almost the beginning, and the whining started about 10 minutes later.

A "speed trap" is only real a speed trap if it involves some unfair rigging or manipulation, such as measuring speeds at the bottom of a steep hill, or right after a drastically reduced speed limit, with no advance warning.

But using unmarked cars or officers to check your speed or other traffic law enforcement, how is that an issue? The police are absolutely under no mandate at all to warn you they're enforcing the law. And if you're observing the law, it shouldn't be a problem.

Seriously, that's all there is to it.
I have no dog in this fight but I'm in the area working and started reading this thread. It is an amusing one at that. But you need to stop posting what amounts to common sense. It doesn't belong in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
It is no different than coming on here perpetually harping about the rights of police officers and telling people not to believe anything they read and only half of what they see simply because you are able to spout some instance of a penal code.

You are a cop, you post from that perspective.

You and I both know, most people won't fight the police in court because it is easier to roll over and let cops do whatever they want. You and I also both know that a fair percentage of the time citizens do actually fight back in court they win their case. Of course, you don't want everyone else knowing those things because that means more days for you in court and less time on the streets making everyone else's life unpleasant.

You say the things you say from the perspective you have and you will likely pull up some irrelevant statute to prove it. The point is, your propaganda is just propaganda too, just from a different perspective.

At the end of the day, it is the court system that decides what is right and wrong, not a cop and you're lying if you say that the court systems always agrees with cops.
I will argue against what you said and I put in bold. Although I worked over 30 years in LE it was on the east coast. My job took me to a few very large court systems and after retiring I went back to work for a while as a court bailiff. I can't speak for this area so I could be off in what i say. But the vast majority of not guilty pleas from anything like traffic to petty crimes to the bigger crimes resulted in findings of guilty. Yes, I saw some cases where cases were dismissed or where the person was found not guilty. In some of these cases it was apparent the judge just wanted to help the person out and I was fine with that. We are taught that it is our job to enforce the law and to not take personally what a judge does in court. The judges come to know the officers and what their reputations may be. If a judge feels an officer is overzealous then it will come out in court with a few dismissals or not guilty findings. I'm also fine with that.
But the complaining on here about something that is apparently completely legal in SA is amusing to read. I don't know what the tolerance is around here but we didn't even look at speeders in my area until they reach 12-15 over unless there was a reason to go a little lower which was still only 10-11 over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Nah. Speed enforcement is easy and profitable. Those are the main reasons why it's so popular.

I'm not from around here but this statement would be wrong in my area. The profitable part that is. Do you know what the policy is around here regarding profitability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,394 posts, read 3,442,799 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
People say that a lot. Again, you can say and believe it with all your soul.

Now, make a list of the most dangerous immediate activities the average person engages in on a frequent basis.

No matter how you feel, you can overcome that fact that the number one thing that cops can do something about is driving on public roads.


You are more likely to die or get injured on the roads than anything else the police can help you with. Yet, in your mind, that is somehow not serious and the police doing the best they can about that fact is, to you, nefarious?

Once again, we have someones feelings against the facts.
What you're doing is trying to deflect the conversation away from the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,561 posts, read 10,859,166 times
Reputation: 5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
What you're doing is trying to deflect the conversation away from the point.
You stated that it's profitable. It's a fair question. Do you have facts on this? I'm curious to know the answer. Where I worked it most certainly was not profitable for us. It was profitable for education in our state as a good portion of fines went to a general education fund for the state. What happens in TX?

I'm near SA working for a week and I came here for some restaurant suggestions. Not sure how I let myself get sucked into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,174,127 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Therein lies the problem, the truth comes out but many don't want to face the facts.

Reckless driving, speeding and drunk driving are rampant in this city and truth be told, enforcement is actually below what it should be.

If anything, people should be applauding the fact that the SAPD is making an effort to rid our streets of these idiots who drive like they own the road and put others at risk.

I am sure the second someone is directly affected by this problem they will change their tune...

Those who don't like the police are oh so adamant about it until they need their help.
You always make this assumption. That anyone who criticizes the police must not like them.

There is a middle ground, people can like the police, what they stand for and the purpose they serve while also believing they don't do enough or can be improved.

I'm happy, I feel like I live in a pretty safe place, and the police probably have something to do with that.
However, I still, every day see people speeding, driving recklessly, red light running is a rule not an exception and I don't think anyone at all can dispute that there is a drunk driving problem around here.

One major nitpick I do have with the police is this; as a habit, since I had my first child I make it a point to wave and encourage my children to wave at the police. I remind my children that they are the good guys and if my kids are ever in trouble they can ask them for help.
When I lived in MD. the police always waved back, even when I was alone in the car.
Since we moved to SA 3 years ago, I can count on one hand the times a Sheriff or SAPD have waved back.
All but one of those have been when I was out of my car. The lone Bexar County Sheriff to return my wave has been a motorcycle cop who I assume was running radar on Wiseman.

It makes me wonder why they're not friendly. My perception is that you all have some sort of us versus them mentality going on and perhaps that might be causing some of your perception that anyone that is at all critical must just hate police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 AM
 
342 posts, read 329,604 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I am not having a conversation about PR.

I am pointing out factual reason why the Police are doing what they are doing. How you feel abou that is another issue. There is no equivalencing me pointing out facts and your feelings.

"I dont like it when the police do..." That is your position.

"The police do such and such because of such and such" that is a fact, not an emotional attachment. A fact is something that can be verified and shared by anyone. It has nothing to do with how I feel. I may very well not like it either.

It is a shame you cant tell them apart.


I was making just as much a conversation about PR and lack thereof than anything else.


But you seem to only pick out 1/10 of my post to yammer on about, while ignoring any and everything else.


You have already well established your views on the police's position on these revenue generating means.

Its a shame you insist on rehashing your views on this and only this and then re-establishing it when its NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE POST YOU QUOTED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Brentwood
818 posts, read 982,933 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Discussing LEO related matters with you among a couple of other posters is like beating a dead horse.
This is the most accurate thing stated in this entire thread. I am sure Neshomamench and the other cop supporters feel the same way about those of us that think cops suck.

Cop supporters post articles and statistics and to them the conversation is over. We post articles and statistics and cop supporters claim those sources are completely false or one off anecdotal occurrences.

Neshomamench and others have their opinions, which are just that, opinions. Those opposed, have their opinions, which are also just opinions. Everything else is just internet posturing by a bunch of keyboard commandos - myself included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
 
1,007 posts, read 1,212,627 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
This is the most accurate thing stated in this entire thread. I am sure Neshomamench and the other cop supporters feel the same way about those of us that think cops suck.

Cop supporters post articles and statistics and to them the conversation is over. We post articles and statistics and cop supporters claim those sources are completely false or one off anecdotal occurrences.

Neshomamench and others have their opinions, which are just that, opinions. Those opposed, have their opinions, which are also just opinions. Everything else is just internet posturing by a bunch of keyboard commandos - myself included.
This post reflects the real problem.

You, and others, dont know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Vetted statistics, best practices derived from large data sets and flat out reasons/facts are not opinions.

Although you do, your opinions on those things is not equivalent to those things, no matter how much you try to make them so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top