U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

We are planning to purchase a house in Saddleridge Bulverde. We heard of flooding in the area but are not sure if this community was affected. The lot is part of the floodplain ZONE AE on FEMA site. Wonder if anyone lives in this community could give us some insights. Should we purchase this house or not even it's in ZONE AE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
From the Bexar County Public Works website...

"Bexar County Infrastructure Services has all of the maps published by FEMA that delineate flood plains within Bexar County available for public viewing. Please call (210) 335-6700 to arrange this with a member of our staff. Dependent upon the specific floodplain and property(ies) being referenced, it is possible that the information can be related via telephone."

Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM

500 posts, read 796,679 times
Saddleridge is in Comal County. I live about a mile north of Saddleridge, and while we did get an enormous amount of rain one night last October (7"+), we had zero effects. Our house is on top of a hill though. I walk and ride my bike throughout these neighborhoods daily, and my observations the following day were that unless the home is located in a runoff area, there would be little chance of water encroachment. That's to say the home would have to be located in a very low point, and there are very few homes located as such around here.

For example, my next door neighbor's house which is about 300' from mine is located near a runoff area, but the builder diverted the drainage to the side of the house. I had always thought that if we ever had one of these massive rains, that this home (which was built 10 years ago), would be as good a candidate as any to sustain encroachment. It didn't.

Water tends to move very fast around here because of the terrain both in terms of hills, and rock base. The only damage evident to me the next few days were to fences. With water rushing so fast, and carrying debris in the form of deadwood, the flotsam tended to build up on fence mesh, creating mini dams, and finally posts giving away to the weight.

We have lived in the area for 20 years, and experienced 3 such "100 year" floods, and have not seen evidence of any home damage north of Bulverde Rd (hwy 1863). Now it may be a different story a mile south, as that's where Cibolo Creek is. Saddle Ridge is in the hills though, so the rule of fast moving water applies.

Add to all this, the seller would have to disclose flooding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio