U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM

4,148 posts, read 5,101,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
That daily commute would definitely leave you bald from ripping your hair out. I couldn't even imagine it.. The commute from Medina Lake would be pure hell too.. nearly every commute is hell anymore with all the bad drivers, construction, and lack of any thought process prior to developing areas..

One of the major reasons I'm looking to move out of here..

Hope you are not looking to move to any growing city. I lived in phoenix home of the grid system. Every mile there was a major intersection. All roads were East-West or North-South. The traffic their was worse than here. Try Detroit your traffic will only get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:02 PM

781 posts, read 2,729,872 times
Motown,

As every other poster has stated.....no way!!! It would take you about 45 minutes just to get to 281 and 1604....on a good day. Getting home would even be much worse...sorry to say.

As far as shopping....you would mostly likely go to Spring Branch for groceries or possibly into New Braunfels and both would be a bit of a drive. There is really not a whole lot of shopping in Canyon Lake and most people "drive in" to San Antonio for malls and such.

Good Luck with your move:-)

Old 12-06-2007, 01:26 PM

454 posts, read 24,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Hope you are not looking to move to any growing city. I lived in phoenix home of the grid system. Every mile there was a major intersection. All roads were East-West or North-South. The traffic their was worse than here. Try Detroit your traffic will only get better.
I grew up in LA suburbs. I know traffic well.

I don't find the argument that "it's not as bad as X city" sufficient. I didn't come here for the traffic. Why spend your life on the road? What's the point?

Just because it's worse elsewhere doesn't make it good here.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,352,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I actually grew up in Ann Arbor and went to Detroit quite often. Michigan drivers, unlike San Antonio drivers, know how to drive and they drive very fast. It may have changed since the last time I was there, but it was always very fast driving, but no accidents, because we weren't crappy drivers like most of the people in SA are.. I hate to bash SA in this thread, but I've mentioned quite a few times that I've been almost around the world and this city takes the cake for awful drivers. It's really not even a contest.. Plus the OP is talking about a location that would force them to drive on some of the highways that are the most notorious for bad traffic, accidents that shut down the entire highway, and a lot of people that really should not be on the road.. It would be a nightmare and I cringe just thinking about it..

BTW, I'm looking to move to Rapid City, SD.. It's growing, slowly, but is still tiny... The population of the entire state of South Dakota doesn't even come close to the population of just San Antonio..

Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,868,558 times
Rapid City? What happened? Running from the cops? Better off on the boats in Alaska... Just messin' with ya. Nice city, just a lil too cold for us. Heck, my wife thought San Diego was cold. She's from Guadalajara.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:05 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,352,344 times
actually, the cold is what I'm after. that and just to get away from the crowd for a while.. I grew up in a more rural setting and I think I'm missing that. Now I just need the home values to increase some more, finish my degree, and get a job up there. Although I hope to be able to move with only completing one or two of those.. this weather we're having right before Christmas is driving me crazy and it's supposed to get up to over 80 tomorrow...

Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 PM

418 posts, read 818,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
Would you commute from Canyon Lake...to USAA? Yes, no, why?
It looks like a very beautiful area.
Are all of the shopping amenities available near Canyon Lake?
We are moving from Michigan & will miss all of our beautiful lakes so this looked like a good option.
It would not be wise. It would be at least an hour commute with no traffic.

Add 281 traffic and 1604 traffic. Your talking at least 2 hours each way during rush hour.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:13 PM

72 posts, read 175,894 times
Canyon Lake is a long drive to the medical center. You might want to take a look in the 78255 area-the hills are really beautiful! Boerne is a lovely place,too-I think there is a lake in Boerne-not sure where,though. We've been in San Antonio for 6 weeks now and we are constantly amazed at how friendly everyone is. Traffic is not to be underestimated, though, and I haven't gotten used to the driving situation.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM

179 posts, read 553,833 times
I was going to and I would.

You could live in Stone Oak and have almost the same travel time. Canyon adds a half hour to fourty five minutes. The real slow part is in town. Plus once you know the area you coudl take back roads.

I say do it.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 PM

265 posts, read 814,218 times
Probably will stay close to the city. Thanks for the Detroit comparison...as you can probably guess by my name, that is where I am coming from and am used to easy traffic and speeding around everywhere I go. People pretty much obey the rules of the road here and I hear things are a little different in that respect in San Antonio...driving on the shoulder, etc. etc. A long commute to Canyon Lake among crazy drivers or traffic jams doesn't sound like a good way to get my feet wet in a new city!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio