Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Forum post statistics for San Antonio, Texas and North Carolina, Dallas home foreclosures comparisons, economic, cultural hubs of Dallas and Houston

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,342 times

Advertisements

I looked through some of the other forums here, and found that San Antonio had the most posts of all cities listed in Texas. Texas had the 3rd most posts of all the states. San Antonio had the 3rd most posts of individual cities listed in US states. North Carolina has the two-most active cities, as well as the most active forum. I just found it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,302,460 times
I think those stats are interesting. I wonder if SA is more active because of the amount of growth right now. Lots of interest in moving here.....and some ready to move out! Anyway....at least we're not in a recession.

Interesting, in comparison that Dallas was among the top 100 cities with the most foreclosures for last year. What is that all about?

Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,125,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Interesting, in comparison that Dallas was among the top 100 cities with the most foreclosures for last year. What is that all about?
wCat, there's too many people up here buying way too much house that they can't afford. I believe either the local paper or D Magazine had an article last year about those "30 Thousand Dollar Millionaires" and trying to live beyond their means. Obviously that's not the entire reason but I'm sure it's a large part.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,955,303 times
San Antonio's a fast-growing community and it has 3 of the top 5 tourist attractions in Texas. (Alamo, Riverwalk, Sea World) It should not be surprising that a lot of people would want to talk about the city in these forums!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 AM

418 posts, read 1,235,052 times
It is interesting.

In addition to growth, I think its the dynamic of a spread out city. I've found very few people that know much about san antonio since developments are changing rapidly and they don't have much business traveling all over it.

If i lived in SF or any dense city, i wouldn't have much time to go online, and nor would I have to because my peers would already know a majority of happenings.

I also assume parents of little children and retirees spend quite a bit of time online. Something that the city has a lot of.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,380,013 times
I also feel it is partly because we have a cohesive group that has made the effort to meet and get to know each other better perhaps.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,267,643 times
That's a very interesting fact. I think there are a lot of contributing factors as to this forum's popularity.

First, as much as people who live here complain about all the construction, it is clear that the city is putting together a massive and modern infrastructure that will support an immense amount of urban growth.

Second, San Antonio is growing very strongly now, and while Dallas, Austin, and Houston are growing as well, they are not seeing the same percentage of growth that we are, we are clearly the next jewel in the Texas crown.

Third, once upon a time, SA was the BIG city in Texas, but the oil boom shifted economic power to Houston and Dallas. As oil, while more far more profitable than ever before, sees less and less growth in terms of jobs, the focus is now shifting to what San Antonio has to offer, economically.

Also, the single fact that has kept San Antonio down economically for most of my lifetime, that being that this city had such a huge percentage of non-college educated people, is no longer true. This is becoming an educated city, the pool of quality resources is growing greatly, it is far more fertile than ever before, and with housing costs still well below national averages, these people (like me) want to stay here and companies are coming to us. We can be paid less, but live better than most in other more economically mature areas of the country.

And lastly, those of us who grew up here are tired of this city getting such a bad rap. LA, New York, DC, I have spent a significant amount of time in each. And while there are more "cosmopolitan" or "Urbane" things to do in those places, I wouldn't want to raise my kids anywhere else. If you can't find "culture" here, you simply aren't trying. This is a great city with a wonderful history, it deserves people like us to promote it and defend it.

All that being said: I can only say one bad thing about SA: in all my extensive travels on this earth, SA does have the most stupid, bovine-like drivers in the country. I mean, the average San Antonio driver:

1. Needs to bring their car to a complete stop on a major thoroughfare to make a right turn.
2. Waits several seconds to move on a green light, then slowly moves their vehicle across an intersection, taking the time it would take for 10 vehicles to cross the same intersection at normal speeds.
3. Thinks the first 5 seconds of a red light are still "okay" to drive through. This is called a "San Antonio Red", and the timed traffic lights in SA actually do take this into account. (probably why the people in item 2 sit on the green lights!)
4. Drives slow in the left lane (and this is not only old people) and does not know that what a faster car behind them means when they are flashing their high-beams at them.
5. Has no concept, or cannot comprehend, what a Yield sign means.

and lastly;

6. In the last 5 years I have probably spent more time driving in other American cities than in San Antonio, but this has only, AND I MEAN ONLY, has ever happened to me here and, sadly, it occurs quite frequently: during modest to heavy traffic the car in front of me misses a turn and stops, not AT THE NEXT INTERSECTION, but in the middle of a major road, like Blanco, San Pedro, Hildebrand, Wurzbach, Huebner, DeZavala, and MAKES A U-TURN!!!

This is why I can never run for mayor in SA. I think these people should have horrible things happen to them, and that would be my entire platform. We should have the ability to follow these people home and beat them with inflatable baseball bats while cursing them until such time as: A) they grow dizzy and see the error of their ways, or B) we simply feel better.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 AM

32 posts, read 129,445 times
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but we've got to be realistic here. The reality is that San Antonio is not going to become an economic, cultural, or hub of national and international significance in the way which Dallas and Houston have.Yes, it is growing and attracting a more educated populace, but San Antonio will always play third fiddle to it's more seasoned and global neighbors, Dallas and Houston. It's all about personal priorities as to what traits one personally looks for in a city. That said, to some, a family friendly place with a slow pace and amicable people may be ideal. Others may want a more fast paced, urban setting with cultural events. Unfortunately, San Antonio offers neither in my opinion. I'd never want to raise kids here - there's just not enough cultural diversity. It's a slow city (literally and figuratively) and just lacks true culture as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there's culture here but it really pales in comparison to other cities of similar size. I'm trying to be tactful here but more times than not I find what San Antonians consider 'cultured', 'progressive', or 'impressive' is atleast 20 years behind what other cities and/or regions have accomplished. It's like the entire city (and general south Texas region) is stuck in a time warp.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM

33 posts, read 61,621 times
What Ballistic says is absolutely ridiculous. Who said SA isn't a significant national and international hub. We have a strong military presence and we are a major hub of NAFTA with our central location. SA has a strong cultural presence dating back to before even Texas became a state in the union whether you like it or not. We also have two major theme parks and are considered one of the most visit places in Texas, if not the most visited with so many attractions that are found here. There is a lot of history to be found here. I don't like how people like you and Guerilla keep bashing SA. If you don't like SA, just don't ever visit here, end of story.

Last edited by Athena78; 11-26-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 AM

251 posts, read 707,281 times
Well what do you define as "culture?" Is it a mix of different people from different walks of life, an appreciation for the arts and love of music or young college students drinking overpriced coffee while on a laptop in a Starbucks? Just don't tell me you've only lived in Stone Oak and made occasional trips to downtown and you've come to that conclusion. I'd say most of the people who've made the claim, S.A. has no culture, fall into this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio