Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:31 PM

424 posts, read 609,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
You were not exactly the model poster of this thread either.
I don't know what model poster entails but I stuck to the topic at hand. My slap to the forehead is in reference to this thread being bumped with off topic arguments. It has now ventured to north side politics and hipsters. Eh.

This thread should stop being bumped with nonsense imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:35 PM

That list is about as accurate as someone playing darts in a hurricane. El Paso, Colorado Springs, DFW, SA, etc all before Nashville? Nashville not number one?

I suspect the methodology was very liberal in how they decided their list. Most viewers of CMT, or number of cowboy hats sold per capita, or some such nonsense.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post

This thread should stop being bumped with nonsense imo.
That I agree with you on.

The funniest statement is one saying that San Antonio has a thriving cowboy culture. Really? Total nonsense.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
That list is about as accurate as someone playing darts in a hurricane. El Paso, Colorado Springs, DFW, SA, etc all before Nashville? Nashville not number one?

I suspect the methodology was very liberal in how they decided their list. Most viewers of CMT, or number of cowboy hats sold per capita, or some such nonsense.
Quote:
Real estate site Estately ranked the most (and least) country cities in America. To do this, they took the 50 most populated cities and ranked them from 1-50 based on the percentage of Facebook users listing these ten topics as interests: country music, fishing, hunting, NASCAR, firearms, barbecue, cowboy boots, pickup trucks, rodeos, and sweet tea. Check out how San Antonio and other Texas cities did in the rankings
So maybe we just have a bunch of people with interest that align with cowboys.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Well, the stupidity of the list just became infinitely more stupid.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM

56 posts, read 68,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyoda View Post
There are a lot of people here who don't understand Austin or San Antonio. What San Antonio needs is investment in its core that brings people that live there, not tourists. SA does not need more hotels, it needs apartments, condos, grocery stores, and pharmacies. It needs the things that people need every day to live there. As someone who lives in Austin, I love visiting SA. Every time I go downtown though, I can't help but think how much potential it has and what it could become with a little TLC. There are so many historic buildings downtown, but what is a historic building if it is underused or vacant. SA doesn't need tall skyscrapers or anything so much as it needs more of its people downtown living and working there. Downtown should be for the people of the city first and foremost. When that day happens, SA will have a downtown that will be the envy of many cities.
I couldn't agree more - Downtown has always targeted tourism, which is fine......but many of the "neighborhoods" in and around downtown save for King William were always run down and not a place I would want to live anywhere near. You have these great turn of the century houses that are dilapidated with no one interested in fixing them up due to the quality of the neighborhood. Austin has many historical homes in their downtown that are desirable locations. I love historical homes and I'm glad SA is turning that around with the improvements of Dignowity and Governor's making these areas more invitable. I love the improvements at Hemisphere park and I'm actually starting to venture downtown more often - although there isn't much in the way of family visiting as it's mostly restaurant/bar life emphasized and there is only so many times you can ride down the river and visit the Alamo. I do love the Pearl area and hope that that feel spreads through the whole downtown.......they definitely need to add more residential areas to the core to boost the city instead of concentrating on the outer lying areas.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
I couldn't agree more - Downtown has always targeted tourism, which is fine......but many of the "neighborhoods" in and around downtown save for King William were always run down and not a place I would want to live anywhere near. You have these great turn of the century houses that are dilapidated with no one interested in fixing them up due to the quality of the neighborhood. Austin has many historical homes in their downtown that are desirable locations. I love historical homes and I'm glad SA is turning that around with the improvements of Dignowity and Governor's making these areas more invitable. I love the improvements at Hemisphere park and I'm actually starting to venture downtown more often - although there isn't much in the way of family visiting as it's mostly restaurant/bar life emphasized and there is only so many times you can ride down the river and visit the Alamo. I do love the Pearl area and hope that that feel spreads through the whole downtown.......they definitely need to add more residential areas to the core to boost the city instead of concentrating on the outer lying areas.
That is not true at all, lots of stuff for families to do downtown. You are not looking hard enough. As a family you can bike down the river, kayak along the river, and even paddle board down the river now. A list of what is going on downtown this week for kids.

Cycle-In Cinema: This weeks film at Main Plaza is Selena, starring Jennifer Lopez and Edward James Olmos.
When: Thursday, July 10 (movie starts at dusk)
Where: Main Plaza, 115 N Main

When: Sunday, July 13 (2 - 4pm)
Where: Central Library, 600 Soledad

When: Tuesday, July 15 (6 - 9pm)
Where: The Briscoe Museum, 210 W Market

When: Tuesday, July 15 (7:30pm)
Where: Travis Park, 301 E Travis

When: Wednesday, July 16 (8pm)
Where: The Friendly Spot, 943 S Alamo

Story Time Stampede: Outlaws & Bandits: "In partnership with the San Antonio Public Library, explore a theme unique to the American West through story telling and a facilitated gallery experience." Click here for information.
When: Saturday, July 12th (11am and 1pm)
Where: Brisoce Museum San Antonio Public Library Portal
Buckaroo Bags at the Briscoe: "Buckaroo Bags are available for families to check out during Museum hours. Each bag covers a theme and contains self-guided materials for exploration, play and response in the Museum galleries..." Click here for more information. Runs through the end of the year.

When: Thursday, July 10 - Wednesday, July 16 (10am - 5pm Monday - Thursday; 10am - 6pm, Friday - Sunday)
Where: Briscoe Museum, 210 W Market
Little Read Wagon: Bring the kids to enjoy the Little Read Wagon before the Movies by Moonlight film in Travis Park. This event is hosted by the SA Public Library and features stories, songs and fun learning activities. Most appropriate for children 5 and younger.

When: Tuesday, July 15 (6 - 7:30pm)
Where: Travis Park, 301 E Travis

When: Friday, July 11 (2 - 2:45pm)
Where: Central Library, 600 Soledad

SoFlo Market

This family friendly event features handmade and vintage treasures from over 50 vendors, local food truck cuisine, fresh and sustainable produce from local farmers markets, live music, artistic activities for kids, and more.

When: Saturday, July 12 (10am - 4pm)
Where: SoFlo Market Warehouse, 1344 S Flores

Fiesta Noche del Rio at the Arneson River Theatre

San Antonio -- The Saga at Main Plaza

¡Bravo! An Evening of Song and Dance at the Arneson River Theatre

Party on the Tower Plaza in Hemisfair Park

Southtown Farmers & Ranchers Market in the Blue Star Arts Complex

River City Running Tour starting at The Alamo

The Bootmaker and The Elves at the Magik Theatre

Oh, and the Children's Museum is still downtown.

Far more activites for children to do downtown that any other area of town.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonio78209 View Post

I know we'll never have that awesome quirky feel of Austin, but we're not Austin.

If this city ever changes, I'll consider staying. If I don't see any progress in the next 5 years, I'm leaving. Austin, here I come.
i hope you left already. i know this is an old thread, but if SA ever became like austin, myself and a lot of others would move. people LEFT austin for SA because of the atmosphere and cost of living.

we dont want drunk college kids here. we already have an issue with the local hispanic population and drunk driving (dont wanna hear it, im hispanic and its a real cultural problem they don want to address). adding more fuel to that fire would be unwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonio78209 View Post
Unnecessary comment.
maybe to you, but i just gave him a + on it. if you dont like it, seriously, move.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 PM

56 posts, read 68,607 times
I don't need to travel all the way downtown to see a movie.......I did not know that you could paddle boat on the river, will have to check that out. My kids have been to Children's museum a couple times and were not impressed......looking forward to the new huge one and hoping for better exhibits. I have a farmer's market and library close to home that have activities which saves me on paying for parking downtown and speaking of which, I find the markets/vendors overpriced most of the time too - I get that it's not grocery store pricing, but I find it hard to justify paying sometimes 3 times HEB price on a below average San Antonio income. I do frequent the arts(dance, musicals, symphony) and can appreciate the many venues available for that - excited to see the new Tobin center. Most of the events in downtown involve food and music.......sorry, I lived in Houston for a spell and I guess I was spoiled on the vast culture mix and available activities.....plus the beach was nearby.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
I couldn't agree more - Downtown has always targeted tourism, which is fine......but many of the "neighborhoods" in and around downtown save for King William were always run down and not a place I would want to live anywhere near. You have these great turn of the century houses that are dilapidated with no one interested in fixing them up due to the quality of the neighborhood.
Really? No one's interested in fixing them up? That's why property values in Lavaca have tripled in the past decade. I wish someone would tell BCAD that no one is interested in fixing them up so they'd stop raising my taxes the maximum every year.

Lots of families live in and around downtown and find loads of things to do without ever having to get into a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio