U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,490 times

Advertisements

Hello, folks. I'm currently living in WA State but interested in relocating to to TX. Preferably I'm interested in either Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, or San Antonio. Here is my questions: Is over $3000 enough to move with? I don't have a car, so is using public transit feasible? Is rent cheap, or at least reasonable? Is it easy to find a job that's decent paying? Finally, is it a good idea for me to move there? Advice, opinions, etc, etc. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM

424 posts, read 511,587 times
Is 3k enough? I don't know if its enough for any big move if you don't have employment lined up.

You can definitely live in the urban core and get around without a car, but rent isn't very cheap (it can be in certain areas of the urban core) but having a job lined up once you moved here would def help.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,558,928 times
Secure employment before you move.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 AM

271 posts, read 346,480 times
i'm interested in possibly moving from WA to San Antonio as well! Anyone who's moved from WA to SA have any advice? insight?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,382,474 times
What is your profession? If you have experience in the medical field, moving to San Antonio might prove wise, especially if you are fluent in Spanish.

Last edited by 69GSstage1; 03-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 PM

201 posts, read 203,722 times
I'll tell you two that I had an ex-girlfriend that lived in San Antonio for a majority of her life and moved to Seattle. She briefly moved back down here (hestitantly) for me but it didn't work out and she moved back to Seattle. She swears by that place and I 100% agree with her. I don't know where you live in WA but I've been to Seattle a few times, Renton, Mt. Rainier, and a few places around that area. I have lived in San Antonio for 29 years, my whole life.

I would probably never move to San Antonio if I lived in Washington. Washington is undeniably more beautiful and there are a lot more outdoor activities to enjoy. San Antonio, and Texas in general, is flat and boring. That's not saying I don't make the most of the outdoors here. I'm just telling the god honest truth. If you enjoy your outdoor life, don't move here. If you enjoy unique cuisine and sites and a diverse array of people, don't move here.

If you like sunshine, scorching hot summers, and mild winters, then you should move here.

Further, I'm sure I'll get a lot of angry comments but I believe Washington is a more progressive state than Texas. There are some very interesting maps that Huffington Post put out recently about how southern states are far behind on all aspects of life. Texas included.

May I ask why you two want to move here? Your reasons might help us provide more substantive insight.

Rent can be cheap and reasonable, even close to downtown, depending on what you can stomach. I live east of downtown and I can easily get around wherever I need to go on my bike.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,878,175 times
Lived in both areas. There isn't an absolute answer. It depends on jobs and what you like to do. It depends on your politics. Housing is much cheaper here for a decent home. The cultural basis is different.

Are you adaptable? Do you like TX outdoor recreation as compared to NW?

If you are here and hate it - you can try to recreate a bubble of hipster downtown, if that is your thing. You can ride a bike in the bubble.

I wouldn't move without a job, esp. if I had a good one in WA. That's what would influence me along with your adaptation skills. Or you can be a bitter whiner for your past Golden Age residence if you come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or