Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,917 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a stay-at-home mom of three who moved to San Antonio a little over 7 months ago. We came from Alaska (our home state) due to a new job opportunity for my spouse, and to escape the long, cold, dark winters. I am now, however wondering if we made a mistake in choosing San Antonio and I am looking for some insight from both life-long residents, and people who have relocated here from other states. We were thinking that the city would offer more opportunities for our children school program and college wise and in many ways it has, but there has been a trade off by way of less space, and less opportunity to just be kids. I have tried to put myself out there and get involved in my new community in many ways (volunteer at the school three days a week, all three kids are in sports, attend festivals and events) but we as a family still aren't feeling it. I'm including a pros/cons list for both AK and my perception of San Antonio to show both things that are important to me, and also to see if there is a possibility that the area I'm, and not city, can be part of the problem.

ALASKA-
pros :
no keeping-up-with-the-Jonses
proximity to nature (hiking, fishing, undeveloped areas)
clean air and water
beautiful scenery
we lived in an area where we could afford a home on 1-2 acres
down home people
environmentally minded people
Higher wages
no state income tax or sales tax
decent property tax rate
permanent fund dividends

cons:
Long, cold, winters
travel/out of state vacations are harder (higher airfare, you can't drive to the next state)
higher cost of living
few college options

San Antonio-

pros:
Lower cost of living
more things to do (museums, amusement parks)
warmer weather
more shopping
culturally diverse
my oldest was just accepted to Science and Engineering Academy (NISD)
lower home prices (but they sure are rising fast!)

cons:
Quarries
there is one right behind the house we are renting and the dust settles on everything
it seems very unhealthy to me
big cookie cutter houses with small lots squeezed together
not very pretty scenery wise
not many people that share our political views
we prefer older homes with more character, but it seems that they are all in
neighborhoods that are zoned for lower rated schools, or they too are located next
to a quarry
people don't seem to be as environmentally friendly
high sales tax and property tax
water shortages

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to bash anyone's city. I am just trying to get a little perspective and either a conformation of what I am perceiving, or some direction as to what areas might suit me better. I should also say that I am technically living in Helotes off of Braun, right next to 1604. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
It's going to feel a lot different living in a neighborhood with small lots and cookie cutter houses than it did living on a couple of acres. It's not surprising that you're encountering less "down home" people. You might be able to find a slightly more rural area to live in that would feel more comfortable to you. You might like Boerne, or New Braunfels, for example.

About property tax and sales tax, the estimated population of TX in 2013 was 26,448,195. The estimated population of Alaska in 2013 was 735,132. Texas has 36 times as many people as Alaska. That means we need more roads, more police, more city services, more everything. The way that gets paid for is through taxes.

I guess you and your husband will have to figure out if the lower cost of living is enough to balance out against the higher property tax, lower wages, and lack of a permanent fund dividend. It may not be to your financial advantage to stay here...or maybe it will be, and you can adjust to having less space and having more people around. I'm not sure how much it matters for your kids' future college choices if you live here or in AK, don't most kids want to go to college somewhere that their parents don't live, so they have a reason to live in the dorm and have fun?

I don't think quarries are a major issue here...it never came up when I was shopping for a house. I'm sure a Realtor could guide you toward a quarry-free area. It's been dusty everywhere I've lived in San Antonio though...I just dust the house weekly and change the air conditioner filter at least once a month.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
You need wide-open spaces! Depending on where your hubby works and your budget, I'd look at the small cities surrounding SA: Bandera, Medina, Blanco, New Braunfels, Pipe Creek, Castroville, Floresville, etc...get a couple of acres and settle yourself into it.

But c'mon, it's TEXAS! Ahhhh. Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Depending on your purchase power you can find older homes in Alamo Heights School district which is one for the best. You will have to pay and arm and a leg for one but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
You can also find older homes on large lots in good NEISD schools for about 100k+ or less than alamo heights schools. It's seems the closer you are to 1604 from highway 151 to about bulverde rd the more snobby/ keeping up with the jones it is. You want to be inside 410, but at NEISD schools or AHISD schools.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Many of those older homes may be zoned to a poorer district, but from my understanding, you may be able to choose a pretty good charter school due to the low academic achievement of the area. As far as nature is concerned, you are so close to the hill country! There are great things to do that are outdoorsy in the area. There are a few state parks within driving distance and many trails that allow for biking, hiking and just nature in general. However, I do suggest checking some of those outlying cities as well. I would avoid somewhere like New Braunfels, though, that's not even out anymore. In regard to finding new friends and experiences, try some meet-up groups as well. You did not mention your religion, but I've lived in San Antonio my whole life and just recently found a church home and feel more at home there then I have in many places in my 25 years in San Antonio.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 13,930 times
We will be moving to Helotes this coming May from Iowa. For among many other things warmer weather.

I have heard Helotes is pretty close to the hill country with trails. We are hoping that is the case because we are a pretty outdoorsy family and are hoping to enjoy that aspect of the city.

I know I don't live there yet, but I know with any place it takes a while to get that 'home' feeling. Wish you the best!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM

208 posts, read 381,391 times
Borninthelastfrontier....In my opinion, South Texas will never match what you think about the beauty and splendor of Alaska. Clean water, blue skies (when its daytime..lol) nature and wildlife. I'm originally from Maryland and miss the changing of the seasons. Here we basically have Summer and Winter and not much in between. We do not have the colors that you had in AK. We don't have the opportunity to just start walking out into the wilderness and getting away from everyone and everything. But here you have many other things to do and see. Like the TV commercial says...Texas, its like it's own country. We have beaches, mountains, deserts and tons of attractions to visit. If you find the right place to settle down, I believe you will think differently about things. There are plenty of communities that provide homeowners with acreage. I live on 2 acres about 20 mins from you and love being out and away from things (even tho "civilization" is creeping closer everyday. But on the other hand, you may never get used to the lower 48. It is what it is. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM

500 posts, read 969,312 times
Ditto Texas Cop. We live 20 minutes north of the city in the Bulverde area. Most homes are on at least 1/2 acre, and our neighborhood has minimum 2 acre lots. We live on 5 acres. There are no cookie cutter subdivisions out here, and we live in a very good school district. As far as "keeping up with the Jonses", I see no evidence of that in this area, and frankly equate that attitude with a more densely packed population IMO. I believe you'll find that in any middle class and up neighborhood in the city (or any city for that matter). That is one reason we moved away from the city over 2 decades ago. Status representation is a nationwide cultural issue.

As far as taxes, yes, property taxes are a little higher here than most states. However, that's pretty much offset by zero state income taxes. You'll probably pay more in overall taxes in any other state which has much to offer.

As has been stated before, there's not many places left in the lower 48 that can compare to the raw beauty and frontier attitude of Alaska, but that said, I could think of many worse places than Texas looking at your lists. Good Luck with any decision you make!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM

437 posts, read 638,763 times
Texas Cop is spot on.
other than that, everything else you mentioned is area specific (except taxes and I dunno about political views). I think maybe Castle Hills would be better. Older homes with bigger lots depending where you look. SA has a ton of older homes with larger lots as opposed to the newer homes (but if you're looking for acre size lots, see posts above). When was your current home built? I have a coworker that lives in Churchill Estates and loves his home and the schools nearby. I think you should have looked a bit more around the city before moving.
Alamo Heights is very nice, sure... if you can afford it.
Also, Comal ISD is a good school district. You could probably find a lot of nice homes closer to the Bulverde area with larger lots as mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio