U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,013 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Progreso this weekend and I need to know what all I need to go into Mexico. I am planning on walking over and leaving my car in Texas. How safe is Progreso? I speak no Spanish and have never been to Mexico. Any ideas on places to go and not to go would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,312,486 times
I am confused I thought Progreso was too far south to "walk" to. But I found this website and it states different: Nuevo Progreso

Just where from Texas do you cross?
Personally, with everything going on in Mexico I would not go there. But I am a white girl so maybe I am just scared The people I work with go to Mexico all the time. Maybe I have just been watching too much Glen Beck

Sorry I couldn't help you more but I thought the website was neat. Good luck and let us know how your trip goes.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:07 PM

10,863 posts, read 11,916,935 times
Bring a passport or you won't be coming back.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,159,617 times
You can go about 3 blocks in safely, at least last time I was there. I wouldn't recommend any deeper than that. The food at Arturo's is good, Garcia's not so good. You don't really need Spanish, it's amazing what can transpire with sign language, and you probably know more Spanish than you think anyway. Be careful if you plan on bringing any drugs back. It's hit or miss coming back in as far as them checking you. You do need to make sure you pay your liquor tax, though. Make sure you leave a dollar on the wall at the little bar about a block and a half in--he's got really cold Tecate, and the wall is plastered with dollars that people have left with their names on. I've got a couple hanging myself.

Have fun--oh, and traffic laws? hahahahahhahaahha Watch yourself crossing the street!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,350,246 times
Progreso is actually down near the Yacatan, so I think you are talking about somewhere closer to the boarder. Just be sure to take proof of Amercian Citizenship...and when we took our ASIAN girls to Mexico for some Christmas shopping one year, they REALLY were not happy that all we had were their Military ID cards to prove they were US Citizens. So if you have passports, I would sure take them even if they are not actually required until 8 Jan 08.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:45 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,159,617 times
The Progresso I've been to is down near McAllen. That's the one I referenced in my post anyway.

And if that's the Progresso you're talking about, all you need to get in is a quarter or so, plus whatever you feel like giving the little beggar kids as you go across. And my cell phone worked over there, but it was about $3 a minute with T-Mobile.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM

79 posts, read 355,371 times
Progreso is just south of Weslaco, east of McAllen, and is probably the border town where you'd be least likely to run into trouble. It is basically a one-street town that does nothing but cater to gringos and tries to stay out of the news. Go early though - it shuts down at 7pm. It's easiest to park on the US side for $1.50 and walk across the river.

And no you DON'T need a passport to cross, last time I was coming back from Mexico (=Sunday) they just wanted my license. Now starting next February per the DHS website you will need take an official photo ID (driver's license) plus proof of citizenship such as a certified birth certificate. Of course they'd love you to have a passport but it will not be required in the immediate future.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM

454 posts, read 371,165 times
Why not just get a passport? It's going to be required soon anyway, and it's so useful to have.

I can't imagine not having one. We got DD's when she was 6 weeks old.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,854,967 times
I would also add that the passport office is backed up by six months. If you think you are going to need a passport anytime in 08, order it sooner rather than later.

I really think that everyone should have a passport. Even if it just sits in a safe or a safe deposit box, having another form of ID is always important, especially if your ID gets stolen.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,150,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I would also add that the passport office is backed up by six months.
That was true around the first of the year for summer travel, but the current backlog is 4-6 weeks.

Passport Application Processing Time (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or