Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 AM

168 posts, read 530,004 times

Advertisements

Please tell me any ideas you have,or any actual over the top THANK YOU'S you may have ever seen or heard of that really stood out, or are memorable. I am looking to say a very special, big Thank You to a very special, sweet couple that helped our family in a big way, and it's hard cause they are now in another state. I have looked and looked, but nothing has stood out to me as special. Everything seems too little and too...same ol same ol. For one thing I thought of an ad in the classified section of their newspaper, but with the internet, it was kind of hard to tell how it would be and would probably cost too much cause it's no valentine's day when they do those cool lil ads for about $10, and I don't think that would cut it anyway. And Edible arrangements maybe part but still need much more. I need more umph if you know what I mean. I want to bring tears to their eyes of how they have touched a families life and feel the gratitude that we have. I don't want to just let it go. Nothing thus far has measured up. So any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated, even if it's something I can put with something else. The lil' touches add up to make something wonderful sometimes. Mostly I would love something clever and thoughtful, and of course showing effort is always good. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 AM

330 posts, read 587,625 times
Make a donation in their honor to a charity. Write a letter to them expressing your gratitude, and go ahead and be a little sappy about it. Tell them how their kindness has inspired you to pass it on.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
If they are from SA or TX or even enjoyed their time here you could put together a "care package" of thing they like but can't get where they are now. When my friend moved away I bought a bunch of Texasy stuff from HEB I knew she liked and wouldn't get back home in KY. I also have friends from here that beg for tortillas if anyone is even coming near their state. I know when I was in NC I was desperate for salsa, tamales, and brisket.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsQ View Post
Please tell me any ideas you have,or any actual over the top THANK YOU'S you may have ever seen or heard of that really stood out, or are memorable. I am looking to say a very special, big Thank You to a very special, sweet couple that helped our family in a big way, and it's hard cause they are now in another state. I have looked and looked, but nothing has stood out to me as special. Everything seems too little and too...same ol same ol. For one thing I thought of an ad in the classified section of their newspaper, but with the internet, it was kind of hard to tell how it would be and would probably cost too much cause it's no valentine's day when they do those cool lil ads for about $10, and I don't think that would cut it anyway. And Edible arrangements maybe part but still need much more. I need more umph if you know what I mean. I want to bring tears to their eyes of how they have touched a families life and feel the gratitude that we have. I don't want to just let it go. Nothing thus far has measured up. So any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated, even if it's something I can put with something else. The lil' touches add up to make something wonderful sometimes. Mostly I would love something clever and thoughtful, and of course showing effort is always good. Thanks so much.
On Mar.10,2014 I posted something I did for someone very special & I have
received positive comments on this forum about it.

It may not be what you have in mind...but the idea is what perhaps might
help you to do something similar...

I made an oil painting of my grandmothers house , mostly from memory
since it was demolished many years ago.
I did this painting for my mother who loves & misses her mother.
I'm not a painter. I copied an artist, Kincade, as an example with his technique
for showing the sunlight falling on the trees & grass in the morning.
I grew up in that house, & I remember it very well. I did not over do it
with too much flowers or things like his paintings. I kept it real
so that my mother would recognize it when she saw it.I didn't tell her
about the house. I wanted to see if she would recognize it.
She cried when she saw it . she has it hanging in her living room.
She says it's her window of something very dear to her. She will tell me
different stories about the house & she can smell the garden flowers that
my grandma used to grow.
Since then, I did one of my Dad in the same house when we picked peaches
one Saturday morning.
He passed away last year. Even though she has photos of Dad...this painting
captures a moment of good times.

I feel good that I was able to give her something that is dear to her &
enjoys it every day.

Good Luck to You !

Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
One Christmas I wanted to make a WoW statement with my gift to my father and my uncle who are brothers...

My father and uncle lost their father at a very young age... Their sister, my aunt, lived out of town and she started a FB account to keep in touch with family... One day she posted a picture of her father (my grandfather)... It was a picture that I knew my dad and uncle did not have... So I saved the picture to my computer... I edited it using my photo editor and I then went to Walmart.com where I had the photo printed into 5x7's ... I framed the picture and gave one to my dad and one to my uncle...

When they opened the picture they were both speechless... They just kept staring at the photos and saying they couldn't believe I had done that for them...

I also did the same for my 3 best friends this past Christmas... I went into their FB pages and found a great picture of each one of them with their children... I saved the pics to my computer and sent them to a website and had the pic put on aluminum water bottles that said World's Best Mom above the photo and a little caption under each photo... For example for my friends pic with her 2 boys I put "Alex and Marco, they outgrew my lap but never my heart" ... All 3 of my friends cried when they opened their gifts...

Maybe if you have a great picture of them you can have it made into a canvas for them or if they have a FB page you can go thru their pictures and find a great picture and have it enlarged and framed for them and then mail it to them...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
One Christmas I wanted to make a WoW statement with my gift to my father and my uncle who are brothers...

My father and uncle lost their father at a very young age... Their sister, my aunt, lived out of town and she started a FB account to keep in touch with family... One day she posted a picture of her father (my grandfather)... It was a picture that I knew my dad and uncle did not have... So I saved the picture to my computer... I edited it using my photo editor and I then went to Walmart.com where I had the photo printed into 5x7's ... I framed the picture and gave one to my dad and one to my uncle...

When they opened the picture they were both speechless... They just kept staring at the photos and saying they couldn't believe I had done that for them...

I also did the same for my 3 best friends this past Christmas... I went into their FB pages and found a great picture of each one of them with their children... I saved the pics to my computer and sent them to a website and had the pic put on aluminum water bottles that said World's Best Mom above the photo and a little caption under each photo... For example for my friends pic with her 2 boys I put "Alex and Marco, they outgrew my lap but never my heart" ... All 3 of my friends cried when they opened their gifts...

Maybe if you have a great picture of them you can have it made into a canvas for them or if they have a FB page you can go thru their pictures and find a great picture and have it enlarged and framed for them and then mail it to them...
Tried to give you an atta...., but could not again. GREAT idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio