Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 146,601 times

Advertisements

Okay i dont know if its just that san antonio isnt south enough, but what ever happend to this souther hospitality i always hear about. I just moved to SA from sacramento, California. I thought california was supposto be rude, but compared to this town cali has some of the nicest people i have ever met. No one smiles here, no one says hi to my baby, they drive like freakin crazy maniacs. i think Los angeles drivers are better with there eyes closed. Its dirty here and the streets are ****ty, there is only one grocery store that took over the whole town??? What about safeway and winco? The taxes are higher. I still cant get over how rude people are, we thought moving out here would be a better life for our kids and family, yeah right i would never let my kids go to school in this city, let alone walk down the street. I have never gone in a store in california without having at least one person smile at me or say hi.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
I'm sorry for your negative experience. Hope all goes well wherever you go.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,039 times
In the three times I visited from CA, it definitely was not my experience. People seemed much friendlier and more willing to help in San Antonio. In fact, there was one particular occasion, while making decorator choices, we weren't really sure about a couple of things. We went to a Home Depot and two people spent 30 minutes helping us with our questions even though we told them ahead of time it was for a decorator choice and we would not be making a purchase there.

Last edited by JNA; 12-07-2007 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Wow....sorry for your experience, california, but as SoCal transplants, we have had just the opposite experience here. We find San Antonio to be most courteous, clean,friendly and outgoing town. I would agree with the drivers but there are bad drivers everywhere. As far as schools....I guess it depends on where you are living in San Antonio.

Hopefully things will improve for you where ever you find yourself.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:50 PM

i guess it depends where you lived. Cause i was from sacramento, and its a big city. It had its bad parts but it had really nice parts too. I have yet to see a nice part of san antonio.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaismyhome View Post
i guess it depends where you lived. Cause i was from sacramento, and its a big city. It had its bad parts but it had really nice parts too. I have yet to see a nice part of san antonio.
We were from Orange County where it is quite beautiful but San Antonio has a unique charm that is really difficult to duplicate. Perhaps with more time you will adjust. Also, there are beautiful areas in SA....maybe a little exploration will help.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM

can someone tell me the good part of this town? U know where the people are actually nice

Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
can someone tell me the good part of this town? U know where the people are actually nice
Where are you living currently?

Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Okay i dont know if its just that san antonio isnt south enough, but what ever happend to this souther hospitality i always hear about. I just moved to SA from sacramento, California. I thought california was supposto be rude, but compared to this town cali has some of the nicest people i have ever met. No one smiles here, no one says hi to my baby, they drive like freakin crazy maniacs. i think Los angeles drivers are better with there eyes closed. Its dirty here and the streets are ****ty, there is only one grocery store that took over the whole town??? What about safeway and winco? The taxes are higher. I still cant get over how rude people are, we thought moving out here would be a better life for our kids and family, yeah right i would never let my kids go to school in this city, let alone walk down the street. I have never gone in a store in california without having at least one person smile at me or say hi.

SA does have a little bit of southern hospitality but it's nothing like Houston, D-FW or Austin. More folks here (compared to the other big 3 cities in TX) might look at you as if you have food on your face, but it's a bit of a stretch to say they have the rudest people, though. I can think of many other places where you'll be worse off.

And you're right about SA drivers. Many of them haven't a clue what they're doing, then turn around and talk trash about cities like LA, where people are much more aggressive yet disciplined. Same talk about Houston: we aren't quite as fast/disciplined as LA yet, but still miles ahead of SA. Chalk it up to growing pains is all.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 159,732 times
wow...what part of town do you live in? having lived in california and colorado, san antonio is by far the friendliest town i've ever lived in. as far as schools go, i can't walk in to my daughter's school without running in to friendly faces and spend a lot of time talking. maybe you're looking for the negitive now...why not start looking for the positive! hope your experience gets better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio