U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times

Advertisements

Wow, great review! Glad it went well, too! I'll have to give it a try soon......the shrimp dish reminds me of Shrimp Picayune from Water Street. OMG we wanted to lick the bowl it was so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM

276 posts, read 866,267 times
I found a great little BBQ joint on the east side. Pat's BBQ at the corner of E. Commerce and Olive. Generous portions of tasty, juicy and smokey cuts. The brisket, chicken and sausage are all top shelf. It's all smoked on-site in a pit behind the restaurant. You eat outside on picnic tables where smoke billows behind the place. Plain and simple and just damn good. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever had better Q in SA.

The owner, Pat, also runs a BBQ wagon at the Spurs games.

Eat up.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM

276 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
I found a great little BBQ joint on the east side. Pat's BBQ at the corner of E. Commerce and Olive. Generous portions of tasty, juicy and smokey cuts. The brisket, chicken and sausage are all top shelf. It's all smoked on-site in a pit behind the restaurant. You eat outside on picnic tables where smoke billows behind the place. Plain and simple and just damn good. Honestly, I don't know that I've ever had better Q in SA.

The owner, Pat, also runs a BBQ wagon at the Spurs games.

Eat up.

Damn. I just made myself hungry.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM

355 posts, read 1,243,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Espana Bar de Tapas

5638 Hausman Rd. Ste.105
San Antonio, TX 78249

(210) 690-4433‎

pssssttttttt.......don't read the Google reviews, they're not so good. Also, if you're cheap like me, well, I'm careful and hate to spend a ton of money on a "maybe" place--there are always coupons for Espana in the SA Current.
Do you work there? I agree with the reviews online about that place. I would suggest Carmens de la Calle Cafe if youre looking for tapas and Flamenco.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
Do you work there? I agree with the reviews online about that place. I would suggest Carmens de la Calle Cafe if youre looking for tapas and Flamenco.
I've still never even eaten there, much less work there if you could read up a bit.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM

355 posts, read 1,243,694 times
no i read the last few pages. im just asking.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
In an effort to promote what is unique about San Antonio, I'd like to hear what everybody's favorite locally owned restaurant, cafe, sandwich shop, burger joint, coffee house, gift shop, even bar, or any other business unique to San Antonio is. I view this as an antithesis of my favorite thread on this forum, these are the places we don't want to see Gone But Not Forgotten in SA! Think of this as a way to share with, educate, and promote within our online community the experiences we love about San Antonio, whether you are a native or a transplant. (This thread was actually inspired by a post from Chakapu! Props!) Don't just tell us who you love, tell us why you love them. And share any stories that make these places, and the people who run them, come alive.

For my first nomination, I chose Maria's Pizza on OakGate drive, near the intersection of Wurzbach and Vance Jackson. This is not New York style pizza (which I love), it is something better. It's got incredible flavor, no matter what pie you buy, the way the pizza is seasoned is unique and one of a kind. It is somewhat close in style to the kind of Pizza some places serve in New Jersey, which is where my family came from, and where I spent most of my summers and Christmas vacations growing up. But this pizza is actually much better.

The owner, Eli, is Lebanese. Now, I know a lot of you are thinking what does a person from the middle-east know about Italian pizza. For those of you who are thinking this, you don't realize that historically Lebanon is not the middle east. It is a Mediterranean country, just like Italy and France, albeit on the southern side of the Mediterranean. For hundreds of years Lebanese have sailed across the Mediterranean and attacked France and Italy. And the France and Italians did the same.

Years ago, on my first trip to Europe, I visited a historical city called EZ in France. I was surprised by the small doorways leading into the buildings and the fact that a cross was always engraved at the apex of every doorway. When I got back, I told Eli about my trip as I was waiting for him to bake me a pizza. After listening to me, Eli went next door, picked up a case of beer at the convenience store next door, came back and shut down his store, and the two of us drank all the beer and ate my pizza while he educated me on a history that you do not find in text books read here, either at the high school level or at the college level. As a huge fan of history, this couldn't get any better for me.

Ez was a favorite target for Lebanese raiders 100's of years ago. It exists on a tall, thin spire of a rock jutting out over the Mediterranean from Southern France. Lebanese raiders, on horseback, would rush up into Ez to attack it's inhabitants. This was mostly for plunder, not to occupy the city or as an invasion of Gaul (as France was known at the time). The small doorways in all the buildings where there so that the Lebanese raiders could not ride their horses into the buildings, and had to get off in order to enter the premises, thus creating a single point of entry that is easily defendable by one man with a weapon. These doorways are so small that all but the shortest person would have to kneel down to pass through them. This is why there were Christian crosses engraved at the apex of every door. In order to gain access to these buildings, the non-Christian raiders were forced to kneel before the symbol of Christ.

And then, whoever lived in these buildings would bash their brains out or stab then to death. Cool!

I learned this all from buying a pizza.

And the icing on the cake is the pizza itself continues to be one of the best I have ever tasted, in San Antonio, in New York, New Jersey, Chicago, and even after two trips to Italy (the one exception being this one place in Rome, but that was a completely different style of pizza!).

Now Please tell us your favorite place in San Antonio, why you love it, and any juicy stories behind it!!!
THIS GUY POSTING KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT QUALITY PIZZA. this pizza place is a tax cover of somehow. you NEVER see anyone in there. one time i was driving home and the owner of this business SMACKED right in the back of me while i was driving down the road. the owner drove off!! i swear to God this is true. i didnt know it was her until i ordered pizza there about a year later. it was the WORST pizza i had ever had!! the crust was so dry. im not joking when i tell you i have had better frozen pizza without question. these people are hiding something in their business for tax purposes. who ever wrote that article was more impressed with the story behind the owner and MUST HAVE BEEN BLINDED. if you dont believe me, go there, pay 11 bucks or whatever and then you can quote how i was right. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP AND DOES NOT PRODUCE QUALITY PIZZA. i WARN YOU AHEAD OF TIME.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakgateresident View Post
THIS GUY POSTING KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT QUALITY PIZZA. this pizza place is a tax cover of somehow. you NEVER see anyone in there. one time i was driving home and the owner of this business SMACKED right in the back of me while i was driving down the road. the owner drove off!! i swear to God this is true. i didnt know it was her until i ordered pizza there about a year later. it was the WORST pizza i had ever had!! the crust was so dry. im not joking when i tell you i have had better frozen pizza without question. these people are hiding something in their business for tax purposes. who ever wrote that article was more impressed with the story behind the owner and MUST HAVE BEEN BLINDED. if you dont believe me, go there, pay 11 bucks or whatever and then you can quote how i was right. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP AND DOES NOT PRODUCE QUALITY PIZZA. i WARN YOU AHEAD OF TIME.
OH and by the way since when do people from friggin LEBANON know about pizza. what a joke this place is.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM

944 posts, read 1,578,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
What about the *last* Pig Stand on Broadway. Still my vote for the best sweet tea in SA. And who could forget the ever classic Bracken Burger? You definitely get your fill of a burger there.
I have fond memories of taking my wife, then my gf, to the Pig Stand for very late night dinners or just for an ice cream back in the mid 90s when we were dating.

As far as Bracken Store Cafe, the first time I went I loved it. The burger was awesome. The last time I went was a different story. When we ordered I noticed several patties already cooked piled up on the flat top. When our burgers came out quick and were cold I put two and two together and was really disappointed.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM

944 posts, read 1,578,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
But for the Best Chicken Fried Steak???? My vote goes to (De Winn's) Tip Top Cafe. I only eat there about once a year, because I think anymore would lead me to an early grave, but man is it good!!!!
I used to feel the same way but around the time DDD came out and they got super busy, the quality has gone down a bit. My favorite part of the CFS was the gravy but lately it's been bland, almost watered down. I get my CFS fix from Good Time Charlie's these days. I swear they put crack in their gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or