Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 AM

24 posts, read 45,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
I don't have kids but I hear great things about Comal ISD. This is in the far northside of Bexar County. This house is actually for rent in the community I live. Great area. Depending on your husbands work hours traffic may be a pain coming home from work but everything else you would every need is definitely in the Stone Oak area that you don't have to go out of the area.

[Mod cut: sorry, single listings are not permitted. DM instead]
Thanks...I looked at a house in the Comal ISD via internet. I haven't met anyone who has children in that school district. Can you inbox me the house that is in your neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 AM

36 posts, read 67,602 times
This was us last year. We moved here Memorial Day weekend. After considering a lot of areas we chose the neisd school district. I have 2 in elementary as well. We live in far north stone oak. I'm very happy here. My husband commutes to ft Sam, drive in isn't bad, coming home takes close to 50 minutes. Worth it for him to know we are happy and the kids enjoy their school. I volunteer there all the time so I truly see the teachers interact with the kids, the PTA, and the office staff. Couldn't be happier with our choice.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
50 min? Wow! That's how long it takes me to get to San Marcos in moderate traffic.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 515girl View Post
This was us last year. We moved here Memorial Day weekend. After considering a lot of areas we chose the neisd school district. I have 2 in elementary as well. We live in far north stone oak. I'm very happy here. My husband commutes to ft Sam, drive in isn't bad, coming home takes close to 50 minutes. Worth it for him to know we are happy and the kids enjoy their school. I volunteer there all the time so I truly see the teachers interact with the kids, the PTA, and the office staff. Couldn't be happier with our choice.
Hilarious considering that there are great NEISD schools 10 minutes away from Ft Sam. Doing a little calculations. Your husband is spending 173 hours in a needless commute. Thats more than 7 days. A week that he could be spending with you and your children.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Hilarious considering that there are great NEISD schools 10 minutes away from Ft Sam. Doing a little calculations. Your husband is spending 173 hours in a needless commute. Thats more than 7 days. A week that he could be spending with you and your children.

Not every school is cookie cutter. Parent involvement, teacher engagement, test scores, etc. all have a baring on how/how parents choose the area to live within a specific school's attendance zone. Also there may have been other attractions to the Stone oak area, shopping, grocery stores, extracurricular activities, churches, etc. Not everyone is going to want to live in Oakwell Farms when they work at Fort Sam.

Yes, that's a long commute, but if it works it works. I don't think the distance is that far, it's the congestion.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I missed the part where she asked for permission how to run her own life.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I missed the part where she asked for permission how to run her own life.
You voice opinion on here you open yourself up to criticism. Isn't that the point.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFab40 View Post
We are a family of 4 with two elementary school aged children. We are relocating in May. My husband will be at Fort Sam. We are looking for a place to live and looking for good school districts. I don't like to judge a school/district on scores alone but I would like schools with motivated teachers, good administration, and an active PTA.

We are looking at NE ISD which is supposed to be the best, but are there any thoughts on Northside?

My friend is trying to get us to move in Alamo Ranch, but I am concerned about the commute for my husband.

Alamo Heights is supposed to be good too, but not much in the way of rentals. We are looking to rent a house or a very nice apartment for the time being.

Also, they currently attend a private school (Montessori), so what are the good private schools (doesn't matter whether they are religious or not) around SA? I definitely want something no more than $6000 per child.
St. Paul's Episcopal Montessori is wonderful, and directly across from Ft. Sam. Tuition is on a sliding scale, so it depends on your income, but is about $6000 per year or just under. It's a small school, 18 months - 12 yrs old.

It's religious, but not overly so, in fact a lot of families there are atheist and there's at least one Jewish family, maybe more I don't know.

While families come from all over the city, many live in Southtown and Government Hill (where it's located). Loads of people living in Southtown work at Ft Sam, but it's not cheap and is a world of difference from Alamo Ranch. Some of my neighbors ride their bikes to Ft Sam or SAMC. Just different, not better or worse, depends on your perspective. Commute from AR to Ft Sam would be horrible, IMO, but if you like spending an hour sitting on the freeway......

Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You voice opinion on here you open yourself up to criticism. Isn't that the point.
You were responding to someone who was trying to help the OP. Pretty sure she wasn't interested in your opinion on her lifestyle choice, but yes you are free to give it.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
it is well-known smuboy has a serious and kinda slightly mythological problem with the west side. There are pockets of the west side that are...not great. But, AR is beautiful, as is Westover Hills. They seem to have maintained the lovely trees, and the sort of Hill Country beauty of the area. Some of the neighborhoods off of Guilbeau, Braun, etc are not great, but to paint the whole area with such a disparaging brush tells you all you need to know about that bias.

Having said all of that, my husband works at Ft. Sam and we live in Westover Hills. It didn't start that way--he originally worked at Lackland. It takes him 30+ minutes to get to work each day. Slightly longer to get home. It's not bad, but we're from Houston, where most certainly he'd be looking at a 45+ min commute.

If we had a budget of $350+, we'd be in Northwood, Alamo Heights, or possibly Terrell Hills. If you're in AHISD, you don't need private school. But NISD is great, we have absolutely no complaints about our school. All the schools in AR are wonderful and parents are very involved. It is quite trafficky along Culebra--I avoid it when I can--and I really don't know how bad it is going to have to get before improvements are made.

Boerne is a loooooong haul to Ft. Sam IMHO. GREAT schools, though. We go to Boerne proper every Saturday for riding lessons from Westover Hills and it takes us 45 minutes door to door. Wonderful little town, and if we could, we'd have land there!

Hope that helps, and welcome to SA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio