U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The way the schools handled this is pitful.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:38 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,546,018 times
Default Here's a local school threat for ya...a real one.

SAN ANTONIO A Madison High School student was taken into custody Monday after weapons were found in his backpack, which caused the school to be locked down, police said.
The school was placed on lockdown around 10:15 a.m. By 11:28 p.m., the lockdown had been lifted and the school released the students back to their classes.
The male student, 17, had three loaded guns and a 12-inch knife, said Aubrey Chancellor, a spokeswoman for North East Independent School District. One of the guns was an AK-47, one was a 45-caliber and one was a .22 caliber, Chancellor said. The student had additional magazines in his backpack, she added.

Armed Madison High School student arrested following lockdown - San Antonio Express-News

Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,892,172 times
^^^^ Yes, why?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,794 times
Quote:
If you think only parents with kids in school are effected by the decision, then you need to re-read some posts.

I really don't mean any offense to you honestly, but I feel that everyone has a say in this, not just parents. Just because you have children and I don't doesn't mean I don't have the right to question how my portion of the tax money is used in the education system. The way the schools handled this is pitful.
I'm honestly not offended by any of this.

You have a valid opinion, especially when it comes to how your property taxes are spent, but your beef should be with the state, not the parents who chose to keep their kids home.
I don't know how other states handle the money for the educational system, but it always seemed wrong to me the way Texas handles it. In this case, I felt like it created a conflict of interest.

My concern (and I haven't researched it) is what does the state do with money that is intended to go to Education but the kid didn't get marked as present for that day? There's got to be a better way.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 AM

7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I will be happy to scan our letter we received on "day one". It said nothing of a hoax, it said, verbatim: "While this may well be a hoax, we have to treat this threat seriously." It made no other assumptions toward the threat. It certainly never made any assumptions in its discussion about SAPD and stated that they were working with SARIC and the FBI in verifying the validity and tracing the source.

That was Friday.

Only on Tuesday evening did I hear anything officially from SAPD as far as being certain there was no credibility. By that time, THEIR credibility was in question.
We never got a letter. I was just going by the first news story I saw on it.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
^^^^ Yes, why?
I gave my reason earlier in the thread but I will quote myself in case you missed it.

"The school administrators clearly should have gotten feedback from the parents before deciding to keep the school open or not because most parents decided to keep them home or take them around town while the schools remain open which costs money for us all!" Post #94

Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I'm honestly not offended by any of this.

You have a valid opinion, especially when it comes to how your property taxes are spent, but your beef should be with the state, not the parents who chose to keep their kids home.
I don't know how other states handle the money for the educational system, but it always seemed wrong to me the way Texas handles it. In this case, I felt like it created a conflict of interest.

My concern (and I haven't researched it) is what does the state do with money that is intended to go to Education but the kid didn't get marked as present for that day? There's got to be a better way.
You are right. My problem is more with the state education system than the parents who kept their kids out of school. I will say I have more respect for the parents that did send their kids to school when they knew the schools would stay open.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
I gave my reason earlier in the thread but I will quote myself in case you missed it.

"The school administrators clearly should have gotten feedback from the parents before deciding to keep the school open or not because most parents decided to keep them home or take them around town while the schools remain open which costs money for us all!" Post #94
Totally not practical.

Many parents work, and at such late notice are not in a position to take a day off just because some parents are scared. Cancelling a day of school is a HUGE deal. It's only done for weather in extreme circumstances. It requires scheduling another day of school - which is expensive and also a huge deal.

School attendance is not based on popular vote.

now, the administrators could have made an across the board decision to cancel school, but taking a poll of parents would have been idiotic for such a major undertaking.

Our school had 30% absenteeism. Huge by normal standards, but not a majority. Should the school have listened to those parents who screamed the loudest because they live in fear?

I do think the funding based on attendance is ridiculous and should change, but that's a different issue.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Totally not practical.

Many parents work, and at such late notice are not in a position to take a day off just because some parents are scared. Cancelling a day of school is a HUGE deal. It's only done for weather in extreme circumstances. It requires scheduling another day of school - which is expensive and also a huge deal.

School attendance is not based on popular vote.

now, the administrators could have made an across the board decision to cancel school, but taking a poll of parents would have been idiotic for such a major undertaking.

Our school had 30% absenteeism. Huge by normal standards, but not a majority. Should the school have listened to those parents who screamed the loudest because they live in fear?

I do think the funding based on attendance is ridiculous and should change, but that's a different issue.
Well, keeping the schools open at half capacity is idiotic decision making as well. As I said before, my issue wasn't really with the parents but I guess the school administrators didn't expect so many parents to be worried enough to keep their kids home.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,890 times
I agree that that many absences hurts the school district; there is no doubt about that. I don't think erring on the side of caution (ie. keeping your child home), when there was a significant enough threat that it involved district police and city law enforcement, is "living in fear" though. If it was living in fear, then after yesterday and today I would say their fear was justified considering they found multiple weapons. The student had the obvious intention of causing violence, and the resources to do it.

Like others have said, you are much more likely to suffer a car accident than be the victim of a shooting. That's not going to stop most people from driving a car, and car accidents happen often. At the same time, you rarely get an advanced warning about them. School shootings don't happen as often (albeit more often than they should). And in this case, those who would have been affected were alerted of the possible danger.

Either way, something suffers. I don't think either decision (keeping the child home vs. letting them go to school) makes anyone a "bad parent." Thankfully, they caught the person before anyone was hurt. People aren't always that fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or