U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,084,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Well lets hope that they are dumb enough not to know that, since there are ways to modify your IP address.
And most fail...we shall see, watch the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
I read the actual email threat that was sent... As a parent, it made me sick to my stomach...

I am not sending my 2nd grader to school... He came home scared after hearing his friends talk about the situation... He asked if his Daddy could go to school with him in his police uniform with his gun to protect him... I cannot see dropping my son off and letting him walk into school with fear in his heart... We will take the absence, excused or unexcused...

I gave my daughters, 1 in middle school, 1 in high school, the option of staying home also but they both want to go to school...

Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,176,023 times
I have been extremely uneasy with the manipulation of information as well as the the lack of information by the districts, police, and media. I think this whole thing has been handled badly, to lessen damage from lack of funding/attendance requirements which seem to take precedence over safety even if that was unintended. My girls are at home and I pray for all schools, staff, and children. The whole thing makes me sick, hoax or not (and it probably is a hoax, I get that). Just sick.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
I would say how I feel about all of this but not being a parent, I am sure I would get flamed by the parents.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
My wife (a teacher in a local public school) sent me a quick email that said that it seemed like the school was only half full today. I'm sure that number isn't accurate, but I'm honestly surprised how many people kept their kids home today (both of mine in elementary went). HOWEVER, if my children had reacted the same way as mrstxcop's did... I will admit that I probably would have stayed home with them.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I would say how I feel about all of this but not being a parent, I am sure I would get flamed by the parents.
Thank you. I also-

I was at a San Antonio Variance Board meeting recently. The Edgewood School District had a building permit to erect a 6' fence but unilaterally erected an 8' barrier and came back to plead ignorance and get a variance.

Their pleading was--- think of Sandy Hook and we "did this for the children". I asked one of the Edgewood administrators where Sandy Hook was? ----No idea.

There are far more actual threats to our children rather than anything perceived.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,413,739 times
With closed campuses and extra police presence, the campuses are safer today than normal.

I do hope, however, that this makes parents understand why we ask everyone to sign in AND out, wear a visitor badge at all times, and come in/exit through the front doors.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,304,292 times
I did notice that traffic was unusually light this morning....because of this??

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM

7,646 posts, read 8,090,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I did notice that traffic was unusually light this morning....because of this??
I noticed that as well. My daughter is in middle school which has an elementary school next door. The elementary traffic was zero. I got back from dropping her off in record time.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,623 times
My friends daughter told her only 11 of 25 were there in her class and we are way out in NEISD. Only people outside were Watch Dog dads. Honestly I wouldn't mind a soft lockdown regularly if they'd let background checked volunteers on campus. Personally I'd rather everyone be required to have a background checkbefore they can be on campus with my child any day. I agree today may be the safest they've ever been although it was touch and go with my 7 yr old but he decided to go. His teacher texted me a picture of him smiling.

Regardless, it's almost the time specified in the email so I think I'm going to get some exercise on the street by the school and do some praying that all our children are safe today. And maybe that some angry parents find the people who sent the email before the police do! Then they can go to jail.

Walking past Stone Oak a Elementary and we've got Watch Dogs outside still. My husbands out of town but I'm so thankful we have wonderful dads that are there today.

Last edited by Bobcat4; 04-24-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or