Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times

Advertisements

Two things to keep in mind (adjusting tinfoil hat):

NISD is about to have a bond election in May, and the big story at our April PTA meeting was SECURITY. Our police officer was there, was introduced, and a point was made about him being ONE officer for 6-8 campuses. So...take what you want from that.

Initally, it was reported by the media as a general threat to all elementary schools in SA. Then, NISD claimed this was a threat to only their elementary schools, and the media reported that. In the past two days, that has changed back again to a "general" threat, yet never recanted or explained why. Tinfoil Hat Mom2Feebs would suggest it might be tied to federal funding and attendance rates. A lot harder to spank an entire city with multiple districts for kids missing school than a single district.

Nothing to see here. Move on...nothing to see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Thank you. I also-

I was at a San Antonio Variance Board meeting recently. The Edgewood School District had a building permit to erect a 6' fence but unilaterally erected an 8' barrier and came back to plead ignorance and get a variance.

Their pleading was--- think of Sandy Hook and we "did this for the children". I asked one of the Edgewood administrators where Sandy Hook was? ----No idea.

There are far more actual threats to our children rather than anything perceived.
Just got back from having lunch at Chick-fil-a. I had forgotten about this thread and asked my co-worker why there was so many kids around and if today is a holiday. She told me a lot of kids are out of school because of the bomb threat (or whatever kind of threat it is).

I guess a lot of parents are using this day as an opportunity to take their kids to chick-fil-a while the taxpayers keep the schools open for the kids that don't skip.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,257,753 times
I told my son if he stayed home we'd find something proactive to do at home not just playing. My thought was to not be out and about. I left the decision to him and at the last minute he wanted to go- we had to be up to take his brother, who refuses to miss school unless he's throwing up, to Bush. His teacher has been texting pictures and he looks like he's having more fun at school. We've got dads in the halls and in the parking lots. I think he's safer than I am- thankfully.

Sadly I just read an article that if 1 in 10 parents keep their child home the district will lose about $1 million in funding. From what I hear it's more like 1 out of 2 kids out! Can we make the idiots who sent the email pay the districts back for lost funding since they are already struggling with budget cuts.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,392,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I told my son if he stayed home we'd find something proactive to do at home not just playing. My thought was to not be out and about. I left the decision to him and at the last minute he wanted to go- we had to be up to take his brother, who refuses to miss school unless he's throwing up, to Bush. His teacher has been texting pictures and he looks like he's having more fun at school. We've got dads in the halls and in the parking lots. I think he's safer than I am- thankfully.

Sadly I just read an article that if 1 in 10 parents keep their child home the district will lose about $1 million in funding. From what I hear it's more like 1 out of 2 kids out! Can we make the idiots who sent the email pay the districts back for lost funding since they are already struggling with budget cuts.
Does anyone actually believe that the authorities have no idea who authored the email?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
If they know, why haven't they announced an arrest? How many thousands of parents and students would feel more at ease if someone had been apprehended? I have to doubt that they know.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,392,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
If they know, why haven't they announced an arrest? How many thousands of parents and students would feel more at ease if someone had been apprehended? I have to doubt that they know.
I do wear a tin hat.

Why, you guess, I do not know.

Just like I guess that the Malaysian Flight 370 is off the coast of Australia. That is until the first sailors have liberty and tell of the snipe hunt being conducted.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:37 PM

923 posts, read 1,494,979 times
My sister-in-law teaches and she was missing 10 of her 23 students today.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
What if the information that school does know would NOT put the student's parents at ease? I doubt they would release the information right away then. Might cause a mass panic reaction.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,601,084 times
Just got home from NEISD, insanely low attendance of about 50% at an elem school I went to and the middle school was at 67%. Everyone here going completely insane, assistant principals parked themselves out front, all doors locked, everyone even the custodians wearing collar walkie talkies, every campus had a billion cops etc etc etc. so yes, mass panic reaction in full force today. May the security be with you.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
NISD is reporting a $1.4 million dollar loss of government funding from the absences today. The attendance rate was 57%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio