Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM

363 posts, read 748,110 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed the discussion of all of our BCAD appraisals. It seems many of us, myself included, wish to contest our appraised values. I've never felt the need to contest it before, but this year was a steep increase. I'd love to get some input from people who have won or lost in this process and what was the deciding factor in the win or loss. I personally am filing my protest online but know I may eventually have to appear in person. What evidence did you present in your specific situation? Let's all use our combined knowledge and experience to help those of us who could use and would appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Doesn't this belong in the "BCAD Appraisal" thread?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
How to Protest Your Property Taxes and Win

How to Protest Your Property Taxes and Win - Lifestyles Unlimited

Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 AM

437 posts, read 902,609 times
I'd never file my protest on-line; I think it makes it too easy for them to win. I've protested many many times and always won. I've never had to go to a formal hearing, but I've been told it's a whole different league. I would always go to an informal hearing in person. Here's what works:

- pictures of anything that needs repairs, etc. in your house (deferred maintenance) and of anything that "looks bad" near you (a neighbor with a junk-yard in his front yard);

The following works very very well when you find evidence on your side:
- check on the BCAD website to see if there are nicer houses in your neighborhood that are appraiser for a lower value than yours;
- MLS sales data: how much are houses actually selling for in your neighborhood?

Obviously if houses sell for more per sqft than your house appraisal value, MLS data will be used against you. Same thing if BCAD has your house appraised lower per sqft than surrounding houses.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
How would we go about getting those MLS sales data if we aren't a Realtor?
Is there a charge?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Is there a charge?
I don't know how long ago you bought your house, but you could see if the agent you worked with would help you. There are individuals and companies out there who go to the protest for you but they charge.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Is there a charge?
If you protest, BCAD provides you with a copy of sales in your immediate area upon which their proposed rates are based, as well as valuations for your neighbors homes.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 PM

487 posts, read 1,117,489 times
They use the sales from 2013, not 2014. In my case they picked the three highest sales with no regard that one that they used had an inground pool & spa on an interior lot.
I had no pool and face 281.
I would suggest going your homework.
When will they tell you comps they are looking at? Can you find out in advance?
They only told me after I got there.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
When will they tell you comps they are looking at? Can you find out in advance?
They only told me after I got there.
You can request it when you send your form in. I did it once and it made them that much more unpleasant when I went. I'd rather not know and just be very well prepared in every other way.

A few years back, BCAD and MLS were "connected" but the powers that be put a stop to that so BCAD really has no way to find out how much properties actually sell for EXCEPT THAT after you purchase a house, they send you a form asking how much you paid. Most people probably fill it out and send them the information.

BCAD keeps every little piece of evidence people bring to the hearings; they scan and store everything electronically. (One of the guys I met with for my protest two years ago was nice enough to show me what they do, what type of information they have...scary.)

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,203 times
So it sounds like getting the appraisal lowered is a pretty tedious situation. We bought our home about 3 weeks ago and just saw that our appraisal jumped ~40K. We paid significantly less than the appraisal value for the house. The house itself is in a historical district and needs A LOT of work.

As a first timer, should I hire somebody to help with lowering the appraisal or does it sound like it should be pretty straight forward to get it done on my own? I'm considering doing it online since it would be a lot easier and less time consuming.

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio