U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM

461 posts, read 351,180 times

Advertisements

Incarnate Word football is entering their second year of FCS level football(5th year in existance overall). they have a rough but exciting schedule. they play defending FCS champion North Dakota State, isnt that great? i know its sounds funny saying this when i mention NDSU, but playing them makes UIW bigger no matter what. anyways GO CARDINALS in 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
i know its sounds funny saying this when i mention NDSU, but playing them makes UIW bigger no matter what.
It'll be roughly the equivalent of UTSA playing Alabama, except that it's less likely that there will be many fans of the visiting team in attendance.

How is parking at UIW games? The few times I've been there on weekdays, parking on that campus has been a challenge.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 PM

check out NDSU's stadium.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:01 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,326,216 times
Go Cardinals! (I'm an alum)

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 PM

tomorrow, UIW vs ND State at 3pm tomorrow. but first, get up tomorrow at 9am and watch College Gameday on ESPN. Chris Fowler and the gang will be at Fargo.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 AM

360 posts, read 659,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It'll be roughly the equivalent of UTSA playing Alabama, except that it's less likely that there will be many fans of the visiting team in attendance.

UTSA has a championship coach, played on ESPN, FS1, against the Pac12/Big12 teams, in loud and big environments - which means theyr'e much much better prepared to play elite competition, than UIW.

UIW, on the other hand is uninitiated. They just moved from the ranks of the D2 [never enjoying much success within it] and is now in a tougher league, the Southland Conference, and still floundering. I do think they will get better with Keenan recruiting and coaching. Mike Santiago, their previous coach, ran a promising upstart into the ground [see Bill Curry at Georgia State for a similar comparison] and is still suffering the residual effects.

NDSU is the equivalent of FCS Alabama on steroids; winning three of the last Championships. NDSU beats Big12 and BigTen teams regularly. I wish UIW the best and hope Keenan pulls off the shocker. I'll be rooting for the Cards in the upset.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa dave View Post
UIW, on the other hand is uninitiated. They just moved from the ranks of the D2 [never enjoying much success within it] and is now in a tougher league, the Southland Conference, and still floundering. I do think they will get better with Keenan recruiting and coaching. Mike Santiago, their previous coach, ran a promising upstart into the ground [see Bill Curry at Georgia State for a similar comparison] and is still suffering the residual effects.
I agree with your assessment. And I think UIW's experience with football illustrates the folly of a school entering big-time sports without the resources, both money and people, to do it well. UIW's president is ambitious. He dreams big. But IMO UIW football illustrates how he sometimes forgets what size ship he is the captain of.

OTOH, the UIW program should also give us some perspective on the accomplishments of the football program at UTSA. They made smart choices and had the good fortune to be in a city with a well-located and monstrous stadium in desperate need of a football tenant.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:24 PM

UIW loss big time. dont say nothing. lets focus on the next game

Old 09-13-2014, 09:59 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,446,113 times
It's sad to see how fast UIW has sunk. I have a lot of friends who are alumni and had season tickets the first two years. Needless to say I don't hear a word about their football program from them anymore and they haven't bought season tickets or tailgated since their second season. I think success for UIW right now is just trying to keep their football program afloat.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
UIW loss big time. dont say nothing. lets focus on the next game
It is kind of cool that UIW got national exposure for their program and school with the ESPN crew hosting Gameday from Fargo before their game.

The Gameday hosts pointed out before the game that UND was favored by 51 points. No one should be surprised by the lopsided outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio