U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,062,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullit View Post
I dont know what it is but I get asked alot for money around town. Even when Im with my kids I still get asked. I last got approached by a couple at heb parking lot in a surburban stating they were from out of town and needed gas money to get back.... I have a sense of it now that I already know when Im going to get asked for cash. I see alot of people giving out dollars. If everyone stopped handing out they would hopefully get help. The city has great Homeless assitance programs like haven for hope. Its unfortunate but theres too many asking for help now.
Many of these people aren't homeless, they're professional beggars.

To separate the wheat from the chaff, offer to buy them a meal instead of offering them a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 PM

679 posts, read 2,604,244 times
Most of it is scam. One evening, I parked my car and got out to go into the store. A guy walked up to me with a gas can in hand and told me that he had run out of gas and had left his girlfriend at the car and was wondering if I could spare some money to help him get gas. I didn't give it to him, because I didn't believe him. Three days later, I was in a parking lot across town and lo and behold, this same guy walked up to me with the same NEW gas can in hand and started with the same story. I told him that I had just seen him in a parking lot a few evenings before and that what he is doing is fraud. He turned around and left in a hurry. My brother-in-law was behind a luxury car that let a guy out on a corner with sign in hand. It's all a scam. One day I was stopped at a light and there was this guy sitting on a crate in the meridian. He had a sign saying he had cancer and asking for help. Another day, I was passing that same meridian and there was a different guy sitting on the same crate and holding the very same sign. In our area, we have regulars. I was going into the liquor store to buy lottery tickets and there was one of the regulars coming out with his newly purchased bottle in hand. It was in the evening and he was done for the day. He took his money and bought liquor. A lady that I worked with told me her son chooses to live on the street and he begs for money for a living. They put on dirty, ragged clothes on purpose. She told me they have a method. I had told her that I saw him one day. She told me not to give him any money. The new thing is for men, women and children all sit out and ask for money. I see people handing them money right and left and think how they are being scammed...but it is their money and they can do with it what they choose. If I thought these people were legit, I would have no problem helping them. One day, I was going into the grocery store and there was a guy outside asking for help. I went into the store and bought a grocery bag full of food he did not have to refrigerate...peanut butter, jelly, bread, can goods, can opener, crackers, cheese, etc. I came out and tried to give it to him. He looked into the bag and told me he didn't eat that kind of food. He wanted money, not food. One day, I was walking down the street and this very huge man asked for money to get something to eat. He didn't look like he ever missed a meal or was going hungry. I could see that he just woke up from somewhere and he smelled really bad of old liquor. I told him I would not give him any money but I would buy him something to eat. I took him inside a place and told him to order whatever he wanted. He did and I paid for it. I could go on and on. As you can see, it's a sore spot. I am retired now, but I worked hard for my money and that is what I feel like telling them. STOP FREELOADING OFF OF PEOPLE. BE A MAN AND GET A JOB!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I read an article about homeless and why they buy booze. It's to beat boredom.
They should buy a book or crossword puzzles and a dictionary.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullit View Post
Growing up in SA, I rarely saw people begging for money. People had pride and government welfare was embarrassing. Once in a while someone would ask for spare change for a cup of coffee. Nowadays people are so used to freeloading as a way of life and getting everything for free and people hand out like crazy. Everything is free in America.
Can you imagine??? Think about it. Say they stand and a really busy intersection for 8 hours a day and say 300 cars, out of the thousands that pass in that time, give him just $1. That is $300 per day, tax free. I'd bet some of them live better than people who work everyday.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Spur View Post
Depends on the person.

If the guy or gal looks healthy and the guy looks like he needs a drink--No.

If it's an older person who looks like they really need it--Yes.
I saw a little old lady, sitting in a meridian with her sign. She was in a wheelchair. As I passed, I wondered how in the heck did she get that wheelchair up and over the 6" curbing. Someone had to set her out there. Shameful.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM

890 posts, read 1,526,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Can you imagine??? Think about it. Say they stand and a really busy intersection for 8 hours a day and say 300 cars, out of the thousands that pass in that time, give him just $1. That is $300 per day, tax free. I'd bet some of them live better than people who work everyday.
Heck, just spare change adds up.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 26,324 times
No

Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 AM

69 posts, read 74,812 times
The best advice is not to give them anything rather than be made a fool. Some of these people prey on those who have that bleeding heart or guilt knowing you have been blessed with better things. These people have the art of panhandling down to a science so they know who to target. No offense but women seem to have a softer side willing to help those in need. I donate to the United Way and other charitable organizations but this not about that this is just lazy manipulative people taking advantage of good people. So who is the victim?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,263,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Most of it is scam. One evening, I parked my car and got out to go into the store. A guy walked up to me with a gas can in hand and told me that he had run out of gas and had left his girlfriend at the car and was wondering if I could spare some money to help him get gas. I didn't give it to him, because I didn't believe him. Three days later, I was in a parking lot across town and lo and behold, this same guy walked up to me with the same NEW gas can in hand and started with the same story. I told him that I had just seen him in a parking lot a few evenings before and that what he is doing is fraud. He turned around and left in a hurry. My brother-in-law was behind a luxury car that let a guy out on a corner with sign in hand. It's all a scam. One day I was stopped at a light and there was this guy sitting on a crate in the meridian. He had a sign saying he had cancer and asking for help. Another day, I was passing that same meridian and there was a different guy sitting on the same crate and holding the very same sign. In our area, we have regulars. I was going into the liquor store to buy lottery tickets and there was one of the regulars coming out with his newly purchased bottle in hand. It was in the evening and he was done for the day. He took his money and bought liquor. A lady that I worked with told me her son chooses to live on the street and he begs for money for a living. They put on dirty, ragged clothes on purpose. She told me they have a method. I had told her that I saw him one day. She told me not to give him any money. The new thing is for men, women and children all sit out and ask for money. I see people handing them money right and left and think how they are being scammed...but it is their money and they can do with it what they choose. If I thought these people were legit, I would have no problem helping them. One day, I was going into the grocery store and there was a guy outside asking for help. I went into the store and bought a grocery bag full of food he did not have to refrigerate...peanut butter, jelly, bread, can goods, can opener, crackers, cheese, etc. I came out and tried to give it to him. He looked into the bag and told me he didn't eat that kind of food. He wanted money, not food. One day, I was walking down the street and this very huge man asked for money to get something to eat. He didn't look like he ever missed a meal or was going hungry. I could see that he just woke up from somewhere and he smelled really bad of old liquor. I told him I would not give him any money but I would buy him something to eat. I took him inside a place and told him to order whatever he wanted. He did and I paid for it. I could go on and on. As you can see, it's a sore spot. I am retired now, but I worked hard for my money and that is what I feel like telling them. STOP FREELOADING OFF OF PEOPLE. BE A MAN AND GET A JOB!!!!!!
Something you said reminded me of the young girl that got right in front of my car when I was at the atm drive thru. She gave me her sob story and I offered to give her a few bucks for a meal. He reply: "Everyone wants to give me money for food, I don't want that...I want money so I can stay in a motel room" Oh my goodness me! Needless to say she got not one cent from me. It's gotten now to where I
ignore them and refuse to play their lucrative game.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,263,385 times
I don't feel that I have to tell them anything as to why I'm not giving them my hard earned money. I try to not say anything at all and I certainly don't need an excuse to refuse! Being by myself most of the time while I'm out and about I don't appreciate being approached by strange men begging. They catch me a the gas station and at the carwash. I just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio