Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

Hi me and my husband are looking to relocate to San antonio we are in our 50's hes a gasoline truck driver and hes now looking for jobs! I am looking to move out of Ny in Nov! and looking for a nice Apartment complex clean area and local shopping in the area! its me and my husband! does anyone know of nice apartments not too expensive 2bedrms places for me to look! I have never been to texas before and need Apartments to search thats clean with friendly people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
My advice would be to line up a job first..then look for housing. It's very spread out here. I'm from the NYC area originally as well. Also since you've never been to Texas, come out for a week or so during the summer...to see if you can handle the heat...many cannot (saying you like heat, isn't enough...come experience it firsthand). We've already hit close to 100 twice during the past 2 weeks and the heat continues usually until October sometime.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
I would think he'd be able to find work down in the Eagle Ford as a driver.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Well,I'm not sure.There are various complexes and it also depends on which part of town as well. Does he plan to drive for the Eagle Ford Shale? Some men work it but live in San Antonio and commute.Also,what company is he with? If it's a company like Exxon,Shell or such he might try to request a transfer to this area.
You might want to google Eagle Ford Shale jobs. You can also google apartments for rent or apartment complexes in San Antonio.
Before you move I'd want dear hubby lined up with a job first.Know they want guys for the fields south of San Antonio.
Also,do you work? If you teach school or nurse you probably wouldn't have a hard time getting a job here. If you work in insurance or even for some retailers like TJMAXX,Target,etc. you might be able to get a transfer to here from the company.
There are some apartments in the Universal City area like the Gold Talon that run about $450.00 or so a month.And there are other apartments out here.Universal City is east of San Antonio near Randolph Airforce Base.
You can google the Randolph Area Chamber of Commerce, or Universal City or Schertz .They have visitor and relocation info.You can also google the City of San Antonio too as they have a visitor info as well.
In San Antonio they do have public transpertation in San Antonio that's VIA. Grocery stores are mainly H.E.B. and Walmart with Culebra Meat Market and a few others thrown in .We also have Trader Joes and Whole Foods in the Alamo Quarry Market place.Apartments in this area probably run like 800 bucks a month.Alamo Heights is a very wealthy suburb of San Antonio.There are nice places of course throughout town not so pricey.
Out here in the Live Oak-Universal City- Schertz area,there's the Golden Talon, PepperMill,Palisades and a few others.You will need a car to get around here though.
There are various malls in the area. We have Six Flags Fiesta Texas,SSea World San Antonio, plus various parks, museums,etc. A lot of people like to drive east of here to New Braunfels and go tubing down the Guadalupe River or to the famous waterpark, Schlitterbahn.It means Slippery Road in German. They also have Wurstfest in the fall. We have the Spurs Basketball team, soccer,hocky and even the San Antonio Talons,if your husband is into sports.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkocal View Post
Hi me and my husband are looking to relocate to San antonio we are in our 50's hes a gasoline truck driver and hes now looking for jobs! I am looking to move out of Ny in Nov! and looking for a nice Apartment complex clean area and local shopping in the area! its me and my husband! does anyone know of nice apartments not too expensive 2bedrms places for me to look! I have never been to texas before and need Apartments to search thats clean with friendly people!
Avoid the southside completely. Alamo Heights is a nice for a Long Islander.There is a rental townhouse complex on treeline park that is a bit pricey but nice. Do NOT consider the other rental communities on treeline park, they're garbage.
Stone Oak is nice and built up like the island, but the traffic is really bad. It's even comparable to LI! If you're willing to put up with it, the Montecristo is nice and not too pricey.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
I lived in Long Island for a year, anywhere in San Antonio will be nicer and affordable than anywhere in Long Island. Even the traffic will be milder than Long Island and yes I commuted from Setauket to Hauppauge daily!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio