Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 PM

117 posts, read 171,322 times

Advertisements

There is a big empty field next to the creek between Fest and W Lachappelle. I didn't realize one of the rail bridges over Nagalitos was not active at first. Looking at the satellite view, I thought it might be an old rail yard. Found an old map that shows it was were the MK and T(Katy) rail made a 90 degree bend heading up to the depot where the hotel is now.

Does anyone know anything more about this site(the field)? Plans for development? When they tore the tracks out(or are they just grown over). I found it interesting you can still clearly see where the tracks ran in the satellite view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM

265 posts, read 534,177 times
Check this post and read on for additional.... the second picture I linked is what I believe to be the last track still on the ground. Oddly enough, there was construction equipment working on the area immediately adjacent, and possibly including this lot. This *may* be the end of the road for those tracks.

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II

Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM

This is the map that shows the ROW

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/arc/maps/images/map1052a.jpg

As you can see the line came in from the East across town, past the brewery and then makes a sharp right North to where the depot was(present Springhill Suites).

The former ROW could make a good connector to the river, except for where it meets up with the still active tracks at Blue Star

Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Took me a while to figure out exactly which field you were talking about but if it's the one off of the expressway in the area of Cevallos, at one time it was an MKT rail yard and then became a railroad museum....kinda. They had old rail cars there, old Trolleys from when I was a kid, and a steam locomotive in there. I say kinda because it was rarely open. They moved everything out to Wetmore Road and it was called the San Antonio Railroad Museum. As things go and money shortage, it's now the Texas Transportation Musuem. I haven't been out there in years so I have no clue if the old railcars are still out there. As far as the lot/field, it's quite likely it is in a flood plain and whoever owns it can't get any financing or insurance on it so hence, no building. All of that changed years back when they put all of the "new" drainage for downtown in and widened the San Pedro creek there. I have a friend with a piece of property just around the corner from it and he was going to tear down the old place and build new. Only problem was no building permits due to the flood plain and no financing. He can remodel but not remove and replace- crazy but that's our San Antonio!
FWIW, that area was an MKT spur. If you had a car of materials coming into San Antonio but had no rail siding at your business, you could have the car delivered to a rail spur close to the job or business. You then unloaded the car there and trucked the goods to where you needed them. We used several across town back in the day.Some even had elevated ramps for that new fangled thing called a forklift for unloading. Yeah, I'm gettin' old.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks! Know of any pictures of it?

And am I reading the flood plain viewer incorrectly?

I figured if it wasn't blue it was not in the flood plain?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Found out this was known as the MKT Sloan Yard

Old 05-09-2014, 08:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I don't have any pics but Google is yer friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mkt+...QEwAA#imgdii=_

Hopefully all of that comes out for a linky for you. Otherwise, search MKT Sloan Yard San Antonio Pics and it should come up. In regards to the flood plain. I see that SA says it's not in the flood plain but along side of it. The flood plains are usually set by The Army Corp of Engineers and may be different, I really don't know. Then again, if the UP still owns it, they will want and arm and two legs for it before selling it. Considering the crime in the area, it's worthless in my book. My buds place, FWIW, is about 100 yds from it and his is shown just outside of the flood plain but he couldn't rebuild because of it.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:31 PM

I did manage to find some pics as well as a series of old aerial photos

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

The tracks disappear between 86 and 04.

What street is his place on or a nearby st if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Best one I found so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrige...y/12469125755/

Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 PM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
Look here:

Texas Transportation Museum

That rail yard you mentioned was closed ~1988 when Union Pacific purchased the MKT railroad. It belonged to the MKT RR and was no longer needed. The MKT passenger station was located at Durango and S. Flores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio