Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,422 times

Advertisements

Recently relocated here from an upscale, professional area outside of Memphis, TN (Germantown) and the schools and neighborhoods in the 78258 are incredibly good. Cost of living is low compared to New England and Illinois and even lower than TN, while quality of life is definitely as high as New England and better than IL or TN. Never thought I would say this about TX (okay, I admit it, I had some negative, and mistaken, preconceptions) but it is terrific here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
Not sure there's anything "wrong" with it. I just prefer a balance or "mix" of different cultures in general. I guess I was just surprised by the remarks that were inboxed rather than posted to the thread. The example was that my kids, being white boys, would have a hard time making friends in an area like Schertz due to being the minority.
I'd think they'd make friends easily enough given the amount of military that comes and goes through the area. Isn't everyone the "new" kid at some point?
The two main high schools that serve this school district are Clemens and Steele. According to greatschools, both are 45% non-Hispanic White. Clemens is 39% Hispanic, 9% Black. Steele is 31% Hispanic, 16% Black. Schertz and Cibolo both recently made one of those "best place to live in America" lists (sorry, not searching for the link, but they're out there. I take lists like that with a grain of salt but when two towns in the school district make the the list, it has to be worth mentioning). Like many suburbs in Texas, it's predominately new construction, middle (and upper middle) class, and relatively affordable. Race will not be an issue. It's diverse and safe. Yes, in new areas like this, there are many "new kids" coming in all the time.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The two main high schools that serve this school district are Clemens and Steele. According to greatschools, both are 45% non-Hispanic White. Clemens is 39% Hispanic, 9% Black. Steele is 31% Hispanic, 16% Black. Schertz and Cibolo both recently made one of those "best place to live in America" lists (sorry, not searching for the link, but they're out there. I take lists like that with a grain of salt but when two towns in the school district make the the list, it has to be worth mentioning). Like many suburbs in Texas, it's predominately new construction, middle (and upper middle) class, and relatively affordable. Race will not be an issue. It's diverse and safe. Yes, in new areas like this, there are many "new kids" coming in all the time.
It looks like the people inboxing the OP don't know what they're talking about. It can even be verified on the district's website that non-Hispanic whites have a plurality.
District Facts

Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It looks like the people inboxing the OP don't know what they're talking about.
Not unlike the folks who say anything downtown or inside loop 410 is crime infested slums. If I based my description only on my immediate neighborhood, I'd have to say SA is full of uber-educated (PhD, MD, JD level) professionals from Ivy Leagues.... or military medical professionals (colonels who are in health care).

Most are biased.

OP: My experience with that area is limited, but what I have seen is reasonably diverse. Surely there are pockets of concern, but overall, if you like it, live there! I'd suggest renting before buying so you're sure it's where you want to stay, but what harm is there in starting off there?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
My current familiarity with an area inside 410 is mostly in the Harry Wurzbach area. I find that area to be quite pleasant and don't understand when people think it's sketchy. It used to be that way, but it's improved a lot over the past few years. I used to regularly shop at the Walmart on Austin Hwy at night and didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable even though I'm female. I think some people start freaking out when they see too many working class people or too many people of a certain color. Even if the group of a certain color is a minority in the area, their paranoid minds will exaggerate their numbers.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM

326 posts, read 681,720 times
Thanks everyone! I love all the positive feedback.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 8,266 times
Schertz is nice as well as Cibolo.
You may want to check out New Braunfels area as well.
Good Catholic Schools in Selma - Our Lady of Perpetual Help - PreK - 8
in New Braunfels- Sts. Peter & Paul - PreK - 8

Really good Catholic High School in area - St. John Paul II Catholic High School 9-12
www.johnpaul2chs.org

Old 06-05-2014, 06:29 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
have lived in Schertz since 1971.District yhas always been mainly a mix of whites and mexicans. There are more blacks here now since katerina,plus military retirees and of course all the push for busniesses to come to Texas. Everyone here seems to get along for the most part a lot of problems found in other places we don't seem to have.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 AM

326 posts, read 681,720 times
Thanks Fritos! That's nice to hear as well.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
oh,your welcome Rapp5.Sure you have problems like everywhere,but the Schertz -Cibolo area out here is far from being another Newark or Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio