U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
 
24 posts, read 57,888 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Is your preschool close to your work or where you live? We are thinking about moving to Schertz/Cibolo or maybe even New Braunfels, as my husband has an office in Wimberley and I will be working in downtown S.A., and we are trying to be someone equidistant. I'm unsure of whether to try to put my son in preschool close to work (which would be hard on days I don't go in) or close to home, which is scary in terms of my ability to pick him up on time if I get caught in traffic. My husband can help, but he'll have a 30 minute drive on most days. We've even thought about putting him in preschool in Wimberley, which would be wonderful in terms of my husband's ability to take and pick him up .... except on those days if he has to go out of town on training, etc...

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences? All would be welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
 
380 posts, read 1,166,142 times
Reputation: 126
IMHO, I'd say one of you choose to stay home. You live in a city where a one family income can make it, unless your choose to live like the Jones.

Sorry, I know not what you wanted to hear but just thought I'd throw it out and maybe you might think about it. The benefit to your child is enormous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,695,602 times
Reputation: 1541
I'll have to second that. One of you stay home and take care of Junior. My wife stays at home (wasn't even a second though...she's never worked) with our son and , of course, does a wonderful job. Our pediatrician recognized that our child had a full time mom right away.He could tell that our son was strong, healthy and well loved. He said that there are dead give away signs of children that are in daycare (one of them is diaper rash...there are others. When put together, he can tell they are day care kids).
Do yourself (and your child) a favor and stay home. The benefits are indeed enormous.
It's affordable here in SA...even for those of you not making decent money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM
 
454 posts, read 371,032 times
Reputation: 52
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend staying home for the sake of the kid, but for the commute hassles!

DD is not yet in preschool, but in daycare. DH commutes about 15 mins to the westside and I commute about 30 mins to medical, depending on traffic. We live downtown. DD is in daycare on the southside, about 15 mins each way in the opposite direction of where i go and almost opposite for DH. It's very near where I used to work. We looked for a daycare closer to home and weren't happy with the options, and realized that there were enough days when I wasn't in the office at the start or end of the day, and traffic getting to Medical is hell at rush hour, so it wasn't worth moving her close to my work. For other reasons, it wasn't practical to move her closer to DH's work. So she's still a bit out of the way for us, but it's also a reasonable trip....

I hate commuting, I hate driving and wish I could walk to work, but my office is where it is... DD thrives in her in-home daycare (no diaper rash!), she's happy as can be.

Choosing to stay at home vs. work is a personal decision (and maybe a financial one - it is for us, not working is not a financial option if I want to pay off student loans before I'm 65). I only recommend not working because it sounds like trying to have two careers in one place isn't working for you, and the commute is going to be hell for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 PM
 
454 posts, read 371,032 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggiejd View Post
Is your preschool close to your work or where you live? We are thinking about moving to Schertz/Cibolo or maybe even New Braunfels, as my husband has an office in Wimberley and I will be working in downtown S.A., and we are trying to be someone equidistant. I'm unsure of whether to try to put my son in preschool close to work (which would be hard on days I don't go in) or close to home, which is scary in terms of my ability to pick him up on time if I get caught in traffic. My husband can help, but he'll have a 30 minute drive on most days. We've even thought about putting him in preschool in Wimberley, which would be wonderful in terms of my husband's ability to take and pick him up .... except on those days if he has to go out of town on training, etc...

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences? All would be welcome!!
One more thought for you - if you choose a preschool near your home (that would be my real suggestion), do you know anyone in the area? If not, get to know your neighbors well soon. I realize you're not likely to do this immediately, but overtime it'll help. My neighbor is a WAHM, and has agreed to be my 'emergency' pick up if for some reason DH or I can not get to the daycare in a reasonable amount of time - i.e., if one of us has an accident or something, otherwise we just call the babysitter and say we'll be late, which has only happened 2x when DH was out of town, however that works ok as it's an in-home provider. I'm not so sure how a school would handle it.

In any case, our neighbor is our backup pickup. FWIW - we're reasonably new to the area with no family around, but have lived here for a couple of years, which has helped to make good friends with our neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
 
2,896 posts, read 6,018,618 times
Reputation: 5022
please stay on topic and see if we can't give the OP some help with their initial query...thoughts and opinions are welcome but let's be civil towards one another

(yes I know you can't see all of the off topic posts that had to be removed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
 
24 posts, read 57,888 times
Reputation: 10
Default I'm just asking for suggestions...

I didn't want to start this type of conversation -- that wasn't my intent. Financially, we can't afford for one of us to stay home and even if we could, I don't feel like anyone should have to justify their own personal reasons for working or staying at home. Each person has to do what works best for them, and as the child of 2 working parents, I don't feel like I was deprived in any way.

Right now, this is the situation that we are in, and we are trying to do the best we can for our child, which means picking a preschool that #1) we feel provides for him in a loving, positive environment and #2) that we can afford and #3) in the area that best works for him and us.

So, in that spirit, can anyone please tell me of their experiences or have any suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 AM
 
454 posts, read 371,032 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggiejd View Post
I didn't want to start this type of conversation -- that wasn't my intent. Financially, we can't afford for one of us to stay home and even if we could, I don't feel like anyone should have to justify their own personal reasons for working or staying at home. Each person has to do what works best for them, and as the child of 2 working parents, I don't feel like I was deprived in any way.

Right now, this is the situation that we are in, and we are trying to do the best we can for our child, which means picking a preschool that #1) we feel provides for him in a loving, positive environment and #2) that we can afford and #3) in the area that best works for him and us.

So, in that spirit, can anyone please tell me of their experiences or have any suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Are you set on the location for your home? I realize you want to pick a half way point, but IMO, I think that may not work so well once kids are involved. If at all possible, I'd consider who is more likely to do the pick up/drop off and live closer to that person's work. I'm guessing that's you. That would mean your husband has a longer commute, but it's against traffic, which could help. it's a sacrifice for him I feel would be balanced out by you doing all the pick up/drop offs.

However, if you're likely to be at your office 99% of the time, and your son doesn't mind the car, then you're better off finding a preschool close to your work, to minimize the time he'll be there and the risk of not getting there on time. If that's less likely, and you'll be away from your office a lot, and/or your husband will be doing 1/2 the pick up/drop off, then you're better off finding a place close to your home, which is easy access for both and just have a backup if you can't make it.

For awhile DD was within a 5 minute walk of my work and that was *wonderful*. However I also worked close to home and DH could get her if needed. now that I have to commute the opposite direction it's more effort, but it's still reasonably close to home so that DH does his part. All that said, the pre-K we've chosen because we have specific issues, and it's located in a not so convenient direction, but also not so inconvenient as to be problematic.

Basically, only you can decide. My vote is to move closer to one person's work, and keep the child nearer to there unless you don't spend much time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 10:34 PM
 
138 posts, read 381,611 times
Reputation: 51
I am older than a family needing childcare, and never used it for my daughter, but had friends that the mom worked. I was under the impression that commercial daycare had entended hours? Aren't they open until the average person gets home from work? Why not find a company who has its own daycare? That way you would be on the same premises, could see the child at lunchtime, and be right there when work was done to pick him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 AM
 
454 posts, read 371,032 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmd View Post
Why not find a company who has its own daycare? That way you would be on the same premises, could see the child at lunchtime, and be right there when work was done to pick him up.
There are precious few of these in San Antonio, and it's not so easy to 'pick a company' - it kind of has to be in your field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top