U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

I live in a subdivision off Wetmore, but just outside it is a single house with a little land. Every time it rains, as soon as it clears up the owner starts burning his trash and it gets so bad we have to close our door and windows. No problem in the summer, but other times of the year I'd like to leave them open and get some fresh air. Right now it's so bad I'm getting a headache. Who can I call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
311 or 207-sapd

Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,083,584 times
Or SAFD Hqs. 210.207.8400

Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 PM

240 posts, read 247,115 times
I would in addition to the above, see if you can get a video of it and send it to the Homeowner's Association.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,985,070 times
The folks in the house burning trash live outside the subdivision. They can likely burn legally, but you could check w/the city (IF they're in city limits) or county. Have a feeling, though, that you're going to find that they can legally do it.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The folks in the house burning trash live outside the subdivision. They can likely burn legally, but you could check w/the city (IF they're in city limits) or county. Have a feeling, though, that you're going to find that they can legally do it.
Except of course the county is under a burn ban.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,840,748 times
^^^ depends on how he burns the trash

http://gov.bexar.org/fm/BBVFD_FirePitSafety.pdf

Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,685,191 times
http://www.wecf.eu/cms/download/2004...g_plastics.pdf

Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM

265 posts, read 411,533 times
I *used* to be an authority on this matter. Here is what I scraped up from my old archives.

If you are in the City of San Antonio, burning is allowed with the proper city permit, inspection from the City Fire Marshal and approval from TCEQ:

The Fire Code does not permit unauthorized burning. Anyone wishing to burn must obtain a
burning permit or the permission of the Fire Department when using an incinerator or other
container approved by the Fire Department. Section 1101.3.1 of the Uniform Fire Code
Amendments applies to burning. Information on this Fire code section can be found at the
following web address – CITY OF SAN ANTONIO
The permit fee is $225.00. Burning can only be conducted from one hour after sunrise to one
hour before sunset.

Before a permit is issued an investigation of the area will allow the Fire Inspector to determine
if there is a fire hazard or danger to adjoining or nearby property, or a violation of air pollution
standards.

IF YOU ARE IN UNINCORPORATED BEXAR COUNTY:

BEXAR COUNTY IS UNDER A BURN BAN UNTIL JUNE 9, 2014. OTHERWISE:

Control Burn Coordination is available free of charge from the Bexar County Fire Marshal's Office. Those wishing to conduct a control burn may call the Bexar County Fire Marshal's Office at 210-335-0300, from 8:AM and 5:PM daily for coordination. Coordination of a control burn is done on a day-to-day basis, seven days a week, if weather and other environmental conditions are favorable for safe burning. THE CONDITIONS ARE EVALUATED DAILY BY THE BEXAR COUNTY FIRE MARSHAL'S OFFICE TO ENSURE FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR BURNING.

Some rules for outdoor burning are:

1. The burning of domestic waste at a property designated for and used exclusively as a private residence, housing not more than three families, when collection of domestic waste is not provided or authorized by the local governmental entity having jurisdiction, and when the waste is generated ONLY from that property. Things that are not considered domestic waste are Tires, Construction debris, Furniture, Carpet, Electric Wire, Pallets, and Appliances.

2. Campfires and fires used solely for recreational or ceremonial purposes, or in the non- commercial preparation of food, or used exclusively for the purpose of supplying warmth during cold weather. Such burning shall be subject to the requirements of section 111.105(7) of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules relating to General Requirements for allowable outdoor burning.

3. The burning of a diseased animal when such burning is the most effective means of controlling the spread of disease.

4. Rural area on-site burning of trees, brush, grass and other dry plant growth when no practical alternative to burning exists for right-of-way maintenance, land clearing operations, and for those forest, crop, and range management purposes not specifically governed by orders issued pursuant to rules established by the TCEQ.

5. Burning must be conducted downwind of, or at least 300 feet from any structure containing sensitive receptors, i.e., Residences, Businesses, Containments of livestock, and Housing of vegetation, located on adjacent properties unless PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL is obtained from the adjacent occupant with possessory control. A copy of the written permission must be submitted to the Bexar County Fire Marshal's Office, located at 622 Dolorosa San Antonio, Tx 78207; or fax a copy to 210-335-0330.

6. COORDINATION OF A CONTROL BURN DOES NOT EXEMPT OR EXCUSE ANY PERSON RESPONSIBLE FROM THE CONSEQUENCES, DAMAGES, OR INJURIES RESULTING FROM THE CONTROL BURN AND DOES NOT EXEMPT OR EXCUSE ANYONE FROM COMPLYING WITH ALL OTHER APPLICABLE LAWS OR ORDINANCES, REGULATIONS, AND ORDERS OF GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES HAVING JURISDICTION, EVEN THOUGH THE CONTROL BURN IS OTHERWISE CONDUCTED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THESE PROVISIONS.

7. IN ORDER TO COMPLY WITH TCEQ RULES, OUTDOOR BURNING MUST NOT BEGIN EARLIER THAN ONE HOUR AFTER SUNRISE AND MUST BE COMPLETELY EXTINGUISHED ONE HOUR BEFORE SUNSET.

8. COORDINATION OF OUTDOOR BURNING WILL NOT BE CONDUCTED WHILE UNDER A HEALTH ALERT OR OZONE ACTION DAY.

When a County-wide Burn Ban has been issued, the Bexar County Fire Marshal's Office may issue permit numbers, on a daily basis, for each control burn coordination for as long as the County-wide burn ban is in effect.
The person responsible for the control burn must be willing to provide access and/or transportation to the burn site upon request of the County Fire Marshal or the Fire Department. The person responsible for the control burn or their designee must be present during the entire duration of the burn. Emergency and after hours contact numbers must be supplied.

I am under the impression that the person you are writing about is off of Wetmore Rd (Inside of Loop 1604 and in the City of San Antonio) I highly doubt he/she has obtained a permit. You can call SAFD non-emergency 210 207-7744 to report suspected unauthorized burning or request smoke investigation. Also, be aware that there is a city-operated brush "recycling" center just west of Wetmore Rd, on Bitters near Wurzbach parkway (just north of San Antonio International Airport), and there have been fires at this location.

I hope this information helps!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,303,717 times
Who do I call for someone burning trash?

TrashBusters?
Attached Thumbnails
Who do I call for someone burning trash?-trashbusters.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio