U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 AM

159 posts, read 178,271 times

Advertisements

Interesting news today about Rackspace hiring Morgan Stanley to "evaluate a sale or other strategic options."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/...pe=blogs&_r=1&

I've heard that HP is one of the prime candidates... IBM, Amazon, and Google are all sniffing around as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 AM

818 posts, read 981,550 times
Two of those options would be great, and probably let the culture at Rackspace stay what it is. The other two would probably ruin it. That is interesting news.

The levels of corporate greed (and individual greed) in this country never cease to amaze me.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,174,619 times
Google, I can see that. Amazon, could see that too. HP and IBM? Please, Lord, no.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM

366 posts, read 438,352 times
It was only a matter of time before they got squeezed out of the market.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 PM

159 posts, read 178,271 times
Part of me is experiencing a little schadenfreude regarding this news, only because I've interacted with a number of senior executives at Rackspace who completely changed their demeanors after the IPO. All the sudden, their poop didn't stink. After the IPO, they instantly went from scrappy business developers to entitled pricks. Some of these folks actually "bought" their way into many of the private schools here in San Antonio with gifts of RAX stock to endowments.

I think it would be good to have IBM acquire them. IBM acquired Softlayer a few years ago, which is another hosting/cloud provider from Texas (Dallas) and they have let Softlayer operate independently. If that doesn't happen, I'm thinking HP is next in line. Amazon or Google probably wouldn't touch Rackspace just because they sell the cloud as a commodity.

The enterprise players (HP and IBM) are probably the two that are in play for this deal. And only for the new business that opens up from the influx of new customers after the acquisition.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM

7,645 posts, read 8,090,637 times
I dont know anything about the potential sale but I find the timing interesting. Right on the heels of all of the Google fiber talk we hear they may be interested in a business in SA.

Im sure it is totally unrelated. I just found it coincidental.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM

490 posts, read 968,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I dont know anything about the potential sale but I find the timing interesting. Right on the heels of all of the Google fiber talk we hear they may be interested in a business in SA.

Im sure it is totally unrelated. I just found it coincidental.
Totally unrelated.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:21 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post

The levels of corporate greed (and individual greed) in this country never cease to amaze me.

How is it greed. People start businesses to make money. If you reach a point where you can sell your business to make a lot of money, what is the problem?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM

733 posts, read 863,407 times
i used to do contract work for rackspace (cisco work). needless to say, ive been getting a few emails from people there that are worried about ibm or hp taking over..

so glad i dont work for them anymore

Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,335,302 times
I have been hearing rumors of an IBM acquisition for almost a year now. However, I would not be surprised if someone out of the blue came out to buy them, like EMC, who also own VMware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio