U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,756,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Sounds like to me somebody got hiney rash from not being invited to a party at the Perrys home. What they do in their home is their business. Same for who they have over to their house. Thinks it's not a watch hunt?

Sure looks like a railroad job to me. But there's great news here. The man obviously has learned some very good management skills. He and his wife will do extremely well in the private sector. They might just be the next billionaires. Without a doubt they are going to make great strides in their future. Besides, our current leaders are not looking for outstanding, go beyond the call folks. They just want the losers that follow orders blindly and do just enough to say they did the job. Everything is normal with our Gov't.
This is exactly what i got from this. Despite all the major flaws in our other government functions, we have had a military that we trusted. It seems that PC and the "all are the same", no exceptionalism cancer has spread to the military.

When the men and women entrusted with training our basic trainees have to fear an adverse end of course critique, we have let the inmates run another jail.

When I was at OTS, we did not have a "Time Out" card to play when we were being molded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 AM

19,954 posts, read 11,084,390 times
I don't see any hint that the wing commander ever pulled him in for counseling to tell him to cool it. Newbie commanders get supervisory counselling too, usually.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:56 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,823,507 times
The whole article reads like someone made a complaint of favoritism, and the USAF leadership at Lackland, which is very aware of their status as a subject of media scrutiny following the sexual assault/sexual harassment cases, made a snap decision to make this whole thing go away quickly versus a prolonged investigation. Agree with previous posts that it reads like a small group of people were butt hurt about not getting invited to a function at the Perry's home and instead of discussing this with the Commander, they exercised the nuclear option.

Unfortunate when reactionary, duck and cover leadership is the norm, but that is usually case following high profile incidents.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,417,290 times
Seems like someone higher up didn't really like him and used whatever came his/her way to unseat him.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM

229 posts, read 398,770 times
It's pretty simple...the Air Force LOVES managers and really doesn't have leaders anymore. Perry was obviously a leader and not a manager...so, he's been fired. I am sure this is GREAT for morale in the squadron. This is a horrible time for the Air Force...

Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
It's pretty simple...the Air Force LOVES managers and really doesn't have leaders anymore. Perry was obviously a leader and not a manager...so, he's been fired. I am sure this is GREAT for morale in the squadron. This is a horrible time for the Air Force...
This is not a brand new thing, unfortunately.

War Story:

As I was nearing retirement in the late 90s, there in STRATCOM (Offutt AFB) we superintendents and division chiefs attended a monthly JAG-JOR meeting with the headquarters squadron commander.

The purpose of the JAG-JOR was to review the cases of troops who had gotten themselves into trouble. Essentially, the JAG rep presented the "case for prosecution" to the commander. We division chiefs and superintendents (sometimes with the 1st Sergeant) would essentially present a "case for the defense" if the young troop deserved it.

The JAG-JOR was where were we got a chance to make the distinction between a good troop who screwed up and a bad troop who was just a screw-up.

On one occasion, we had two airmen (a man and a woman) who had gotten into trouble for underaged drinking. The pair had been at a local house party and were returning to base in a taxi. The SP at the gate smelled alcohol on their breaths and took a second look at their IDs to determine their ages. The man was a few months legal, the woman was four months under age. The man admitted having given drinks to the woman. Both were arrested.

So at the JAG-JOR, their division chief (a female colonel) argued passionately that these were just the kind of great young troops that the Air Force needed. They had outstanding records, had won various honors before while stationed there.

The current HQ squadron commander, however, was hardass (I discovered that even the other colonels thought so, referring to him as "his highness"). He was "a law is a law, and these are criminals" all the way. So he decided they would get letters of reprimand, which would essentially bar them in the Air Force from re-enlisting.

Their division chief, defeated, looked disgustedly around the table at all of us and said, "Is there anybody at this table who didn't have a drink before age 21?"

That was, I think, the first moment I thought it was time for me to retire.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:50 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,351,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Seems like someone higher up didn't really like him and used whatever came his/her way to unseat him.
Things that make you go "hummmmmmm".......
Loss of Confidence: Did Lackland Trade Recruit Abuse for Toxic Leadership? : John Q. Public

Old 06-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
this is the point I made earlier:

Quote:
But
lastly, a commander can fall short of maintaining the confidence of his
superiors by failing to respond to feedback. Command is a dynamic role, and
first-time command is replete with opportunities to step on unseen landmines.
Mistakes are not only bound to happen, they are inevitable. This is expected
and essential to the growth of a commander, and it’s the very reason commanders
are selected in part for their ability to receive and act on feedback. Someone
who believes s/he has all the answers is unlikely to process feedback in the
right way, and is a poor candidate for leadership at any level. But in this
case, Lt. Col. Perry never received unfavorable feedback from his immediate
superior, Group Commander Colonel Deborah Liddick, or anyone else for that
matter. Liddick provided her expectations three weeks into Perry’s command tour
and he did his best to abide faithfully by them. His first clue that he was
doing anything wrong was his placement under investigation, followed swiftly by
his relief from command. This is a telltale sign that something isn’t quite
right about Perry’s firing; such an occurrence should never come as a surprise,
because every leader at every level is entitled to notice s/he is falling short
and the opportunity to correct.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,756,910 times
The more I read about Co. Liddick, the more vomit I taste.

I saw her predecessors many times during my Air Force stint.

Good people under her command wasted by her oppressive management style and senior leadership unwilling to have their own careers stymied by such autocratic "leaders". No one stops their rise through the ranks regardless of the cost.

Last edited by WilGar; 06-02-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 AM

890 posts, read 1,528,062 times
This makes me so glad I retired and don't have to deal with it anymore. Civilian employment has its challenges too, but the Air Force continues to confuse political correctness, leadership and management to a point where no matter what you do, it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or