Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM

243 posts, read 333,776 times

Advertisements

Working in the offshore oilfields pays even better than working on land plus good benefits and you get 6 months off each year. If you don't mind being gone from home for 14 or 28 day at a time it's a good life and a great living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Are either of these pt jobs he has with with large franchise fast food places? I would write a letter to each of his current employers saying how impressed you were with his customer service skills, attitude and manners. If it's a national organization, I'd send a copy to the district manager and to their home office. It may help him get a manager trainee position and if nothing else show his current employers that he deserves more hours, pay and responsibility.

You may also email or phone someone in local media and tell them something about this young man and ask if they have any ideas. In this day when all you tend to hear about are that kids have a poor attitude, are lazy, foul mouthed and disrespectful, highlighting this lad's strong points might motivate the reporter to speak to this young man and feature his story in an article about positive young people with the right skills and desire to try to improve themselves. Ya never know, there are still some nice people about, even a few in the media. Esteban Solis has that good news feature, he had a troubled youth and surely would respect a kid that was trying to improve himself. He surely knows lots of people and maybe one would give this young man a chance. Just an idea.

I do think it's always best to try to find a job in a field you are interested in. Then even a low level starting job can be more useful due to the skills learned. I just began looking at a few of the city jobs. There is a 911 call taker position, only requires a HS diploma, and 1 year of public contact experience either in person or by phone. If this would interest him, he could put in an application. Even if this job isn't something that would interest him, he should look over the city jobs. It's still a who ya know world and making contacts even say in a temporary position with the city, can pay off in the long run.

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/san...FwddxPacket%3E

Here's a bit about him.
Esteban Solis

Last edited by todd00; 06-03-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 45,438 times
Have him lookup this site, its founded/supported by Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs. Gets people funding, schooling, jobs and training for hard workers. Excellent programs!
mikeroweWORKS

Old 06-03-2014, 08:53 PM

117 posts, read 171,431 times
Can he pee in a cup?

If he's a pothead then oilfield is out. I'd suggest at the least getting a CDL.. but again.. needs to be clean.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 15,214 times
Apply with Security Service FCU. www.ssfcu.org

Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTR View Post
Have him lookup this site, its founded/supported by Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs. Gets people funding, schooling, jobs and training for hard workers. Excellent programs!
mikeroweWORKS
On that note, if he's interested in job training, he probably qualifies for a full Pell Grant, which is more than enough to cover the tuition at the Alamo Community Colleges. There is also Project Quest.
Project QUEST, Inc.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Can he pee in a cup?

If he's a pothead then oilfield is out. I'd suggest at the least getting a CDL.. but again.. needs to be clean.
I hope Paka doesn't print out this reply to show him. Assuming he is a pothead right off the bat is pretty rude.

If I was only half the person that Paka is, then I would be a better person than I am now. It is pretty awesome that she is doing this for him.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 PM

117 posts, read 171,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I hope Paka doesn't print out this reply to show him. Assuming he is a pothead right off the bat is pretty rude.
Get over yourself.

I assumed nothing, only stated simple facts.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

If I was only half the person that Paka is, then I would be a better person than I am now. It is pretty awesome that she is doing this for him.
I did not and he said to tell you all he is MOST grateful for the care and help in trying to make himself a better person! I have printed and given him several different recommendations as ideas to help him better himself/his life.

THANK YOU!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Get over yourself.

I assumed nothing, only stated simple facts.
I did not find Clay1's post offensive in the slightest. I thought your post (Azure110) was rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: