U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,111,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Sooner or later U-verse will raise their rates. The cost to distribute (meaning the amount they pay to the channels MTV, ESPN, NFL football) will go up.. do you think they will eat the cost? Heck no.. we will eat it as a consumer. Sooner or later the prices will go up..
Actually...I think AT&T is eatting the cost and will continue for at least the next 5 or so years to build up their customer base and reputation. They have the money do to it, there is no doubt about that. Example...if the NFL network cost so much that time Warner can't pass the cost on to their customer, why does U-verse have it..and their package is cheaper than Time Warner? They are eating the cost right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 625,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Actually...I think AT&T is eatting the cost and will continue for at least the next 5 or so years to build up their customer base and reputation. They have the money do to it, there is no doubt about that. Example...if the NFL network cost so much that time Warner can't pass the cost on to their customer, why does U-verse have it..and their package is cheaper than Time Warner? They are eating the cost right now.
It is not that timewarner cant afford it, it is the NFL that is being unreasonable. THe NFL wants its package in basic cable and to be paid for every home it reaches. This is for 8 extra games over the course of 3 months. This is just not a good deal for TW.

Now since ATT works off IPTV(only what is watched is sent), it would appear very unlikely that nfl could demand payment for every house its channel was subscribed to, but not watched in.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,404,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I signed up for the lock-in thing and ended up getting the 10 mbps upgraded Roadrunner and went from just Texas digital phone to nationwide and still cut over $30 from my bill, so it gets my vote. I wanted to try the new at&t thing, but for some reason they haven't figured out that most of the city is on the very far west side and aren't offering service outside 1604 over here..
The added bonus with the lock-in is you're guaranteed a fixed price for two years and if you go for another two years they can only jack it up $5/month. This goes for up to 6 years, so I have the capability of having service for 6 years and only face a maximum of a $10 monthly increase. That's where the real deal comes in..
BTW, I got this info after I signed up for it and I don't know if they advertise that part of it
It sounds like price-lock would be the way to go with Time Warner. I attempted to sign up for the minimum cost phone/internet/cable bundle offered on their website without price-lock, and it came out to $146.85/mo. + taxes & fees.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:40 AM

2,170 posts, read 4,538,279 times
at&t may eat the cost for now.. but I dont think it will be for the next 5 years. Those rates with U-verse will go up. I am pretty sure that Time Warner can afford the NFL channel.. but the beef is.. why make someone that gives two hoots about the NFL pay for a channel they are not going to watch? So the NFL can get richer and pay those athletes those ridiculous salaries? Time Warner simply wants to put it on a Sports Tier and make those people who want it.. pay for it.. Not make all of San Antonio pay for it. I for one do not care for the NFL never have .. never will, I have better things to do then watch a football game on one of the only days I have off.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,453,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It sounds like price-lock would be the way to go with Time Warner. I attempted to sign up for the minimum cost phone/internet/cable bundle offered on their website without price-lock, and it came out to $146.85/mo. + taxes & fees.
Did you try to do this online yourself? I did, and said forget it and called them and pretty much stood my ground that I wanted the pricelock for internet/cable that they were offering new customers. Locked in the price for 2 years. Now why I couldn't do this online I don't know...but I had to talk to a live person to get it fixed. My bill has gone from $158/month down to $103.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 22,504 times
att uverse i great and cheap...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,466,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Did you try to do this online yourself? I did, and said forget it and called them and pretty much stood my ground that I wanted the pricelock for internet/cable that they were offering new customers. Locked in the price for 2 years. Now why I couldn't do this online I don't know...but I had to talk to a live person to get it fixed. My bill has gone from $158/month down to $103.
Thanks for sharing this!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,556,032 times
I had TW cable and Road Runner for years and switched to U-Verse early last summer. I can only say that I have no regrets. I initially switched for two reasons: 1) I work a lot from home and there were times that the internet connection was so slow, that it was unusable for my work. Regretfully, I had to go to the Flying Saucer and use their free wi-fi! , and 2) I had just gotten an HD TV and TW only had 10 freakin' HD channels.

U-Verse was cheaper, offered way more channels than TW for the price (at the time, 40 HD channels, now even more!) and i got their elite DSL connection which is always consitently fast. I was drinking way too much over-priced warm beer anyway.

Now U-verse isn't perfect. I will say that TW free on demand content was way better than what U-Verse offers, though U-verse has a n immensely wider array of paid-for content, most of it around $2-$3. And after AT&T pushes a patch or update out, sometimes my set top boxes and even my main router are off-line. I have to reboot them, and this can take several minutes. And you have reboot them one at a time, so this can take some time. And the AT&T remote really sucks, you pretty much have to get a Harmony remote to avoid getting frustrated. However, I know that U-verse is still a relatively young product being rolled out, so you have to expect a few techinical difficulites, and it has definitely gotten much better over the 6 months I have had it. At this point, I would not go back to TW.

I would say if you want more content for a lower price, and can accept a few techinical difficulties from time to time, then I would recommend U-Verse. If you are okay recieving significantly less content for a higher price, but don't want to have to deal with a time consuming reboot of your system from time to time, then go with TW.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 AM

5,730 posts, read 8,693,324 times
Bump...after my tack on services with TWC, I guess I need to SERIOUSLY sit down and review this thread.

Ready to chuck TWC...just NEED something as good in internet service. I can live without the phone and TV...but internet is a MUST in this house.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 AM

777 posts, read 1,599,116 times
Just to piggy back on GWHopper a bit... I switched from TWC to UVerse and did have some initial issues with the TV part (mostly related to the stupid remote and occasional freezing-up), but I haven't experienced problems since at least October when they did some sort of upgrade.

On the internet side, I can say without hesitation that my Internet connectivity has NEVER been down since the day it was installed and with TWC, it seemed to be a constant battle to include swapping out modems four or five times.

I'm not here to slam TWC - they provided a service and we enjoyed it, but my wife got sick of Cable Bill Creep. Other than the aforementioned issues from when we first signed up with UVerse, we can't complain at all.

Oh, and yes, we enjoy having the NFL Network and not having to pay extra!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio