Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 PM

671 posts, read 687,049 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
We are beginning our "semi-retirement" search, and thought we'd start with the GREAT state of Texas! We do have a bunch of questions, if y'all don't mind.

We're thinking of moving back to the San Antonio area after being gone for 6 years of AF assignments; previously lived in Silver Creek, Stone Oak, and Fair Oaks Ranch back in early 2000's. My DH will still work for a few more years after retirement from the AF next year, hopefully in the medical center area. I've seen a few posts on where to retire in and around San Antonio, but I'm looking for more specifics, and for the opinions of older couples, the semi-retired, and retirees who live in various communities now in 2014.

Of course, we'd prefer what most would want...pretty surroundings (some trees and hills), safety, and with community-based activities, like volunteering, golf, and perhaps a club or community center. I realize that each community has its plusses and minuses, and understand that most areas have their respective traffic situations and long commutes. However, I would still like to hear from the semi-retired and retirees who are living in each of the communities about the specifics, and the "nature" and friendliness of their neighborhoods.

Just as further info to find a good "match" with a community and its people, we are basically "homebodies"; we like to garden, swim, do home-hobbies, but my DH also loves to golf and fish. My DH loves to be around active-duty and retired military, and those in the medical profession, small business owners, etc. Kids are out of the nest, so school districts aren't that important to us now.

Having said that, we DO love an active community, and do get involved with our neighbors and community. As far as house prices go, we can afford up to around 550-600K, but of course, would love it to be lower, especially because of the property taxes. We're trying to avoid seeing a "sea" of houses, and subdivision after subdivision.

Areas that we liked in the past or want to investigate include (but not limited to): Fair Oaks Ranch, Cordillera, WaterStone, Boerne areas, and Helotes areas. We'd like to avoid San Antonio city taxes. Most likely, we'll stick to just under an acre or so, but haven't ruled out lots as large as 5 acres (possible chickens and goats!). We're hopeful in looking for houses built after 2000-2004, between 2200-4000 sq ft (kids returning to the nest...)

So, I'm wondering where y'all live, what drew you to that community, the retirement "quality of life" of where you live, and maybe most importantly, what you currently like/don't like about where you live.

Finally, if you were granted a "magic fairy wish" and given another semi retirement/retirement choice (in or out of Texas), exactly where would you reasonably choose to live right now, all aspects of your retirement situations being equal?

We're not that familiar anymore with community, neighborhood, or little town specifics, along with changes that may have gone on through the past 6 years, so anything you could offer would help us make this decision. ~Thank you all so very much! ~ Dandi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Does anybody have thoughts about any surrounding places?
thanks, D.

Last edited by DandiDay; 06-14-2014 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 AM

584 posts, read 1,188,120 times
Del Webb is the only retirement community that I know of in San Antonio. They have a great recreation building and swimming pools, trails, etc. Very nice.

Hill Country Retreat | Active Adult Community San Antonio TX | Del Webb homes

Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM

I appreciate the info and links, Penguin927. Will check into it.

What about just regular areas around San Antonio outskirts, that have professional couples in their 40's, 50's, and even 60's with larger lots, a "community" feel, and perhaps golf? - Anybody like Cordillera, or is that too far and isolated? WaterStone? Fair Oaks Ranch? Helotes? Or are they mostly younger families now?

Perhaps I'm either asking the wrong questions, or perhaps the SA area is not the place to search. Does anybody have any other ideas? In Texas? Parents or friends who found a good, safe, fun "SEMI" retirement spot (with retirement, say, 6-10 years down the road)? Maybe Austin? The Coast? NE Texas? Something where DH can get a medical professional position.
Thanks!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM

705 posts, read 1,753,268 times
As I'm sure you know, Fair Oaks Ranch has a large retirement community and fits what you are looking for. Although we are not retirement age, we've been happy here.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Hello 88txaggie,

Yes, we loved Fair Oaks Ranch for every reason possible! Just wondering about changes, if it's still a great place to retire. Just was wondering if there's a "new" Fair Oaks Ranch somewhere else nearby? (like Cordillera? or heading out towards Comfort and more of the Hill Country?)

When we were there, the demographics were changing more towards younger families with children, seeking out a great school district.
Is it still a haven, though, for older couples whose children, for the most part, have launched? Military and semi- and fully-retired?
What about the growth out that way? Is it becoming too overcrowded by imposing subdivisions? We saw the explosion out past Stone Oak, and tried to escape that by moving to Fair Oaks Ranch, initially.

One of the unique things about Fair Oaks is that besides being a beautiful and safe area, it's an incorporated city with its own services. I appreciated that fact, and that it was so independent of San Antonio. At that time, SA subdivisions were all competing for the same over-burdened services.
The golf course and club are there, too, which my DH likes. Also, some homes do have more acreage, if we desire to go that route.

Maybe I'm "over" thinking this. We were just wondering, too, if it still had the same charm and community "feel", I guess.

So,what do you see going on there? Do you plan on staying? Why do you like it there, specifically? Especially over other areas I've mentioned? I hope you don't mind...
Thanks a lot!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
If you want new and military families around you, you'll want to be in the Alamo Ranch or further out in that direction towards Castroville. It may not be as rural as the Fair Oaks area but you'll be in the right area to find the types of people you want to be around.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
If you want new and military families around you, you'll want to be in the Alamo Ranch or further out in that direction towards Castroville. It may not be as rural as the Fair Oaks area but you'll be in the right area to find the types of people you want to be around.
Hi Ashbeeigh,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out your recommendations.

I think we want to stay NW or N of the city, more towards the Hill Country. We mentioned areas like Cordillera, Waterstone, in addition to Fair Oaks and Helotes. Basically, we want to hear, if possible, from people living within the various communities to determine the "feel" and changes over the past several years from within.

I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean by the "types of people you want to be around." We just wanted some contact with military (older, semi, and fully retired, not "in" a military community), and not just communities with young families and children. That's all...
thanks!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Hi Ashbeeigh,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out your recommendations.

I think we want to stay NW or N of the city, more towards the Hill Country. We mentioned areas like Cordillera, Waterstone, in addition to Fair Oaks and Helotes. Basically, we want to hear, if possible, from people living within the various communities to determine the "feel" and changes over the past several years from within.
!
It really depends on who you talk to. The Alamo Ranch area is 78253. Some may call it "Far" west while others lump into the Northwest area you are looking into.

As far the community I mentioned, it's very military driven in that area. That's why I suggested it/. Both retired and active duty. It's very close to Lackland too.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:45 PM

318 posts, read 566,563 times
Fair Oaks would fit you very well. There are many retired couples in the more established areas of Fair Oaks. The newer areas such as Deer Meadow Estates, Stone Creek Ranch and Frontgate are heavily young families but still some retired people as well. With two golf courses and a very inexpensive country club (the price continues to drop it seems), this would be a great location for you.

Cordillera has a lot of families with young children and most homes are out of the price range you described; most new homes are $1M to $3M. There are a few in the $600's to $800's but it didn't sound like that was appealing to you.

As far as I'm concerned, anything near Boerne and Fair Oaks would be great for you. Search realtor.com in your price range in zip codes 78015 and 78006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio