U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM

905 posts, read 1,354,899 times

Advertisements

This very topic is on AM 550 now on the Adam McManus show. At times I listen live while on my computer.

KTSA.com - Homepage - News Talk 550

Take A Stand with Adam McManus - Talk Radio with Guts!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM

673 posts, read 575,632 times
Default Newbies and back to the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
DandiDay, I'd tell you not to take it personally, but the issue you're experiencing is personal. Some members here give members with a low post count a hard time, and assume that they're here to troll when they ask about controversial subjects. You have just 20 posts and a few days as a member of City-Data, so the people that think that way have you on a short leash and they assume the worst about your intentions.

It's not fair. It's not right. But that's the way some folks on this board operate. Try not to take it personally anyway.
Thanks so much, Bo. I am very sensitive and thin-skinned, and did take it personally...my mistake. (I'm at a disadvantage right now, as I'm seriously ill and have a lot of personal stressors going on.) Perhaps this is not the place for me.
I was going to comment on the handicapped parking issues in S.A., but having been "bitten" here in this thread, probably won't. I don't take nasty people well. I'll probably back off, and just watch and learn.

Entropy, it wasn't "clinical" (I don't think...). But yes, it was just carefully worded so I wouldn't sound biased or jaded, and so I wouldn't "inflame" or lead the discussion in one direction, and so I wouldn't appear "trolling". I even worried about whether to use the PC "illegal immigrant" or "undocumented immigrant" vs. "illegal alien" so as not to offend. (in the end, I decided not to be forced into the PC kool-aid).
This all seems to be a no-win situation. I wish there was a better way to handle "newbies", as this whole thing really was a negative experience.

-I tried to keep my opener as neutral as possible...I thought I was doing the right thing. I wish you all could have given me the benefit of the doubt, or at least not have been so snide.

Maybe if you look at my other posts first, you could see more of what I'm about. Especially the thread recently started by Paka;
A HARD worker looking to better himself.....

Oh well, I did try to be neutral and nice...

Anyway, back to the topic. With us being formerly from SA and wondering (still!) if we should move back, I honestly wanted to know about the impact on our future home there from every angle. SA is already groaning under the weight of both people moving into the area, urban sprawl, as well as illegals. This issue is a negative for the city, in my book (all other things aside regarding those poor children.)

I know about this struggle in S.A. for a fact; the facility where I used to work, handled a huge number of these illegals (we were instructed not to say anything to the public). I saw our tax dollars poured into care for the illegals (in EVERY sector...housing, medical, school, and on) to the detriment and exclusion of our own legal citizens in need! I saw, first hand, our own people on wait-lists for a variety of assistance, only to be wait-listed or excluded because these funds or access to care were diverted to a newly-arrived illegal alien!

This is a huge problem we have right now, from the city on up to the national level, and there's no easy answer. I would love to help these children, along with every other person in need on this earth...but that's not possible.

Regarding these children, the immediate, short, simple answer is to send them all back to an agency back in Mexico or Cent. Am. and let them sort it out from there.

Another option would be to put these children up for adoption here. If an American parent relinquished their child like this, or put their children in danger (with or without the parent there), you bet that CPS would take away parental rights and place them up for adoption (this happened to an acquaintance of mine, and I've seen countless other cases personally).

We need to secure and close our borders to everyone right now, for our own very survival - especially because of terrorism and our own economic woes. For heaven's sake, we can't even take care of our own people at this juncture! I'm sure each and every one of you has a friend or acquaintance who could use some help. Many people I know are either out of a job, living paycheck -to-paycheck, have lost their home, or have to choose between buying food or medications.

For those of you who think we should allow amnesty for these illegals, or otherwise welcome these "undocumented immigrants" into our country and Texas for whatever reason, I ask you these questions;

-When does it end?
-Is there a limit on the number of people we take in?
-Is it ONLY from the Mexican and Central-American countries?
-Why aren't we helping the women and children from the Middle East and Africa, whose lives are threatened on a daily basis? Living under worse conditions than these recent illegal immigrants who just crossed our border?

***So, why should this apply to only those desperate/poor people adjacent to America? There are hundreds of thousands of desperate women and children in Iraq, Syria, and other middle-Eastern countries who have absolutely nothing, and are running for their very lives every day from terrorists and war! The women, especially, are nothing more than chattel or slaves...worse off than the Mexicans across the border. I'd rather help them at this point, over and above anyone else.

So, if we go along with the premise of accepting poor Mexicans or those from Cent. Am. under the guise of helping those less fortunate or escaping the cartel or gang violence, then why don't we get airplanes and ships to gather up these Middle-Eastern women and children, along with others from poor or war-torn countries (in Africa, too)???? Isn't that "fair"???

***In other words, take every disadvantaged, poor, or threatened person on this earth, and bring them to the USA to give them a chance, too?!

*It won't work, folks. Our country (and even San Antonio) is struggling trying to keep afloat. If we keep on allowing more into our country, we will sink!
*We must close our borders immediately, send these children and others back, and figure out a better short and long-term solution.
-thanks for listening, DD

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
This very topic is on AM 550 now on the Adam McManus show. At times I listen live while on my computer.

KTSA.com - Homepage - News Talk 550

Take A Stand with Adam McManus - Talk Radio with Guts!

Thanks! I'll try to get it...DD

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

270 posts, read 843,327 times
This topic is very politically charged. It should be moved to the "Political/Controversies" Forum.
While the immigrant children are here now at Lackland, it is likely to be a temporary situation (maybe a few months). They will likely be housed and processed while they try to investigate where there might be other family members in the States to whom they can be released to. As it is now, Federal money is being used to deal with this problem.
If the OP is so concerned and worried about the influx of new people coming into SA, taxing our weak infrastructure and social services programs, maybe she should seriously reconsider moving here and adding to the tenuous state of our local economy.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 AM

270 posts, read 843,327 times
Since the OP is a self-professed "newbie", she would probably be happy to know that if she scrolls down to the US Forum, there is a whole thread on "Illegal Immigration". I imagine this would be a wonderland of sorts for her to spend her time in!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM

733 posts, read 863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Hi folks -

Just wondering what you are seeing in San Antonio and surrounding areas as a result of the Illegal Alien children crossing over the Texas borders? Are any local gov't agencies involved? Social Services?
How about private groups? Doctors? Local Hospitals?

Are any facilities being used to house them? If so, are they being bussed or flown in?

If San Antonio is becoming involved, what seems to be the general opinion of this entire incident? How will it impact S.A. short or long-term?

If S.A. IS involved, how do you, sitting in the Heart of Texas, feel about this? What should or should not be done? -Thanks, D.
one thing is for sure. the lack of involvement in expansion of government healthcare plans ISNT helping. thanks perry.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
While this is a national topic, I think the impact of this crisis on the city itself is a good topic to discuss. Based on my understanding (and from talking to people at St. PJ's) the goal is to reunite many of these children with family that they were originally coming to find, initially. Then, after in a secure location to move forward with any legal issues. The influx of children should not have a direct effect on most every day experiences and way of life, from my point of view. It may if you have children and are concerned about ELL and ESL children and how they will effect your child's school. But otherwise I don't see how it would have any effect on the average San Antonian.

And in regard to this quote
Quote:
***In other words, take every disadvantaged, poor, or threatened person on this earth, and bring them to the USA to give them a chance, too?!

San Antonio has vibrant refugee community. All are here legally and with the help of the UN and refugee services. I sure hope running into someone from Vietnam or Sudan who is escaping genocide doesn't offend you (side note, I was pained to see a Cambodian refugee trying to get his driver's permit at the DMV earlier this week. He could barely understand anything anyone was saying and it was hard for the social worker in me not to jump in and try to help).

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Oh GOOD GRIEF!!!
- Here we go again. Snide remarks, sarcasm, and assumptions:

"If the OP is so concerned and worried about the influx of new people coming into SA, taxing our weak infrastructure and social services programs, maybe she should seriously reconsider moving here and adding to the tenuous state of our local economy."
and:
" Since the OP is a self-professed "newbie", she would probably be happy to know that if she scrolls down to the US Forum, there is a whole thread on "Illegal Immigration". I imagine this would be a wonderland of sorts for her to spend her time in!"- flourpower

Really, now. Is this necessary????

Why on earth would you say something like this? Does it make you feel good? Proud?

Why can't some of you negative posters get off of this line of attacks and stick more to the topic at hand??? If you didn't have something to add to the conversation that was productive, why post at all???

Can't anyone start an honest, straightforward, neutral, unbiased question (I explained how I tried to be as neutral and non-inflammatory as possible in my other post) without unfounded, snide, or sarcastic extrapolations?

And, what's wrong, honestly, with being "worried" or "concerned"? Is that against the law? A sin?

And yes, the more comments that are posted like this one, would prompt more reasonable people to avoid SA. Believe me, I've already, for these reasons, considered NOT returning to SA! Who needs comments or people like this and the other posters? For heaven's sake!!!

My very first thread asked about changes to SA while we were gone (serving our country in the military)...I can see the obvious changes which are not necessarily for the better. Too bad, as my DH and I would have tried to effect positive change to the city, and not add to its burden, as flourpower intimated above...We would have significantly added to the tax revenues and worked hard to add to the improvement of SA.

Isn't that something SA and you would welcome???

A different forum? Absolutely NOT. Did you even take the time to read my last post??? This relates to San Antonio as well, as it's DIRECTLY AFFECTED and local agencies ARE involved, both government and private.

Did you even read the reference of my own personal experience in this city with illegals? This is definitely a LOCAL issue as well, as SA IS affected AND having local ramifications - now, and in the future. (BTW, are we banned from discussing politically charged topics? If so, then please accept my apologies.)

But, thank you, Flour, for your helpful advice. I WILL also check out the US Forum as well.

Bo, in your experience and observation, is this what the SA people are now all about? Do these types of negative and inflammatory posts continue? If so, then why should honest, concerned people even bother?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Thumbs up helping those little ones...

Hi Ash,
No, I would not be offended at all or in any way by your example, and those already here. My heart goes out to them. I wish there was some way to help on this level...

I even thought about trying to foster one of the children already in the Lackland facility...is there anything going on (that you know of) to try to find temporary homes for the ones here without parents or guardians??? I would love to help out in any way possible, especially to give stability and love to the little ones who are the true innocents in all of this.

Ditto for any of the Middle-Eastern kids who I think are the ultimate victims in the strife affecting our world right now. Perhaps they deserve our attention and help even more.

It's possible that if we as Americans stepped in, especially with the Mid. East children, we can eventually affect an entire generation, and mitigate the potential for further propagating the anti-West sentiment and future terrorists. Right now, they have no other influence or anything to look forward to.

As I said, there's no easy answer...at all. But for now, we have to secure our borders, and try to figure out how to proceed. - thanks, D

Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,409 times
DD, I find this an interesting and important topic. Although I haven't formed an opinion yet, I wanted to say that you seem to be playing the victim a bit much. Threats of you not moving here and how much you would have contributed if you had don't really add to the conversation and really just play into the hands of the people who are trying to distract you from the topic.

I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience, and in my opinion it's an unfortunate reality that all online communities are this way to a great extent. It says nothing about SA specifically as the anonymity of the internet seems to many times make people think it's ok to say things they wouldn't dare say to someone in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or