U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,180,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
We have been here 2 years. We purchased for $287,000. Which was a steal at the time. Our appraisal just came in the mail for $320,000 but we are listed for $310,000 started out at $319,000. We have started a contract in Wortham Oaks w/Wall. We are prepared to move to an apartment too if it sells. I don't know how are tax appraisal can be so high, when the houses are selling below market right now for the most part???
I remember when that neighborhood was developed - Wilshire was the builder - right? The community built out quickly as one of the few newer subdivisions in the area. The one drawback to the community that might affect sales is the small lot sizes. We looked in their briefly but couldn't get past how close the houses were for those prices. The asking prices are equal to what we are paying for a new home on a larger lot in the Quarry. Unfortunately - I think you bought at the top of the market. I'm curious as to why you are moving? With gas prices going through the roof moving out to Wortham Oaks adds to the drive significantly. One of the advantages of the Quarry is that it is so centrally located.

Speaking of the Quarry - for those following this thread and the construction of my home - The four sides brick/stone has been completed, the cabinets are in and the interior has been painted. I have been so impressed with my construction manager and sales team on how they have been so careful to see that the product measures up and is high quality. For example - I was shocked to see my back porch being partially taken apart this week. I inquired to my instruction manager and he told me that had they left the support colums as is - the brick would not have been perfectly centered on the beam above and having it perfect was the only acceptable outcome. Folks - we were talking being off by about an inch on a colum that is 12 inches wide - after brick! That is the kind of detail that KB is pouring into this community. I have had that experience at every stage. I know there are KB haters out there - and will be the first to acknowledge that I am building in their best San Antonio community - but if anyone is considering building - they should come out and see the quality that is going into these homes.

Now the only thing I am bothered by is that mortgage rates have risen!! If that is my only problem - I will consider myself blessed.

We are hoping to be in our new house by the end of May or early June at the latest. I don't know how many people have told us that building a house would be very stressful - but we have actually enjoyed this. Now we can't wait to move into our house as soon as possible.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 AM

285 posts, read 608,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I have been so impressed with my construction manager and sales team on how they have been so careful to see that the product measures up and is high quality. For example - I was shocked to see my back porch being partially taken apart this week. I inquired to my instruction manager and he told me that had they left the support colums as is - the brick would not have been perfectly centered on the beam above and having it perfect was the only acceptable outcome. Folks - we were talking being off by about an inch on a colum that is 12 inches wide - after brick! That is the kind of detail that KB is pouring into this community. I have had that experience at every stage. I know there are KB haters out there - and will be the first to acknowledge that I am building in their best San Antonio community - but if anyone is considering building - they should come out and see the quality that is going into these homes.
That IS amazing, Banker! When we had our windows here measured for curtains, a comment was made that they were only 3/4" off centered - not bad! I was not pleased when she told me "industry standards" in our area (northern VA) allow for 2" discrepancy! That was 12 years ago and it has only gotten worse. We purchased our home for $300,000 and it would be $800,000++ to be built today. It wasn't worth the $300,000 (in my opinion) but someone will likely buy it from us for around $700,000 and think they got a deal! (A year ago, we could have sold for over $750K +, but have to live somewhere until we retire to Texas and can't find anything here for under $450K - a townhouse.)

You also mentioned "small lots" in your reply to Ejf1mom. What is the typical lot size in San Antonio? We have 1/3 acre now and really want 1-2 when we build our "forever" house. Is that even possible in San Antonio?

Lori

Last edited by Texan in Virginia; 04-25-2008 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: found error

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,294,909 times
Typical lot sizes run the gamut. A lot of production homes inside 1604 are on lots ranging from .08 acres to about a half acre. There are neighborhoods like Hollywood Park that have lots up to an acre with older homes. Lots of remodeled homes in there. Once you get outside the loop, you can find your typical production homes and you can find lots up to several acres, depending on how much you're looking to spend. We've got a wide variety of home sites and neighborhoods, so I feel sure you can find whatever you're looking for.

And to follow up on "Banker's" posts, I'm helping a client build in the same neighborhood. We just had an inspection come back after framing, and while there were quite a few things that turned up, they seem like they have no problems getting everything remedied quickly, which is nice, as my past experiences with production builders have led to me going to war with them to get things correctly repaired. I'm impressed with the neighborhood so far.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Never heard of a production home. What is that?

Lori

Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Typical lot sizes run the gamut. A lot of production homes inside 1604 are on lots ranging from .08 acres to about a half acre. There are neighborhoods like Hollywood Park that have lots up to an acre with older homes. Lots of remodeled homes in there. Once you get outside the loop, you can find your typical production homes and you can find lots up to several acres, depending on how much you're looking to spend. We've got a wide variety of home sites and neighborhoods, so I feel sure you can find whatever you're looking for.

And to follow up on "Banker's" posts, I'm helping a client build in the same neighborhood. We just had an inspection come back after framing, and while there were quite a few things that turned up, they seem like they have no problems getting everything remedied quickly, which is nice, as my past experiences with production builders have led to me going to war with them to get things correctly repaired. I'm impressed with the neighborhood so far.
I visit my house every single day and have a great relationship with my construction manager and sales staff. There were several things discovered prior to my inspection that they eagerly fixed to avoid them showing up on my inspectors or their inspectors report. My 3rd party inspector found a few items - but all were fixed within a few days. They seem to really take pride in the houses they are building in the Quarry. Every KB hater should go out and just drive through the Quarry and see for themselves what KB is capable of.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Virginia View Post
Never heard of a production home. What is that?

Lori
A production home is a home built by a large national builder. Another term is a tract home or semi custom - depending on the price range. KB, Pulte, Beazer, Toll Brothers, etc are large national production builders.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,772,941 times
Quote:
I visit my house every single day and have a great relationship with my construction manager and sales staff. There were several things discovered prior to my inspection that they eagerly fixed to avoid them showing up on my inspectors or their inspectors report. My 3rd party inspector found a few items - but all were fixed within a few days. They seem to really take pride in the houses they are building in the Quarry. Every KB hater should go out and just drive through the Quarry and see for themselves what KB is capable of.
What is the norm for the builder? I went through a neighborhood under construction... Sundance somethingoranother and the quality appeared to be quite different from what's described here. If I had to guess, it's one of those things that varies widely from place to place?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
A production home is a home built by a large national builder. Another term is a tract home or semi custom - depending on the price range. KB, Pulte, Beazer, Toll Brothers, etc are large national production builders.

Thanks! I'd never heard the term before.

Banker, I've enjoyed reading your updates as your home is built and look forward to hearing more as you settle into your new home.

We'll likely need a custom builder and I'm seaching City Data for info plus, whenever we are in the area, we look at homes to get an idea of what is offered. That is also a reason I check this forum regularly.

The more I look, the more I think we'll be building in a rural area versus the city so we can get more land/house for the price. Our plan is to live in our vacation home until we decide where we want to spend the rest of our lives. As much as we love our vacation home, it is on three levels which will probably not be good as we get older. It is wonderful to not feel rushed in our decision making process.

Lori

Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
What is the norm for the builder? I went through a neighborhood under construction... Sundance somethingoranother and the quality appeared to be quite different from what's described here. If I had to guess, it's one of those things that varies widely from place to place?
Sundance Square is one of their lower line communities - which feature some of their classic and hallmark line houses that lack the detailing seen in the communities listed below. In general all of their newer premium offerings (with the exception of Cobblestone) are located on the North side of town.

A little history:

Well - KB purchased RAYCO back in 1996 and has gone through a big change over the past 12 years. RAYCO had a "build em cheap and fast" business model which was adopted by KB after they initially bought RAYCO. Then it really wasn't until KB current San Antonio president came on board - Craig Westmorlend (SP?) is his name I believe - about five or six years ago that KB really started pushing up market and making big changes in their neighborhoods. One of the things they did was to start developing new floor plans that were not carry overs from RAYCO - which still perpetuate the perception that KB still builds RAYCO crap houses. If you look at the neighborhoods that were developed under his new leadership - they are all significant steps above the former KB business model here in San Antnio. They are Coblestone, The Trails at Herff Ranch, The Quarry, The Woods of Alon, Saddle Mountain and to a slightly lesser degree Fox Grove and Stage Run. These all represent KB's much higher level of architectural interest and construction quality. The houses are night and day different from the previous product and more in line with what KB builds in other parts of the country.

The Quarry was envisioned as their flagship community with large lots - very open large one story floor plans and premium features. Sadly the neighborhood hasn't sold as quickly as KB would have liked and as a result KB recently changed their product offering and it is now no longer offering the large wide single story floor plans. That said - even as it stands today - it is one of the nicest tract home communities in North Central SA. If you value 16" on center framing, standard four sides brick, large lots, three car garages and a near perfect north central location - the Quarry is hard to beat.

All that said - KB is just like any other builder - they offer different product at different price ranges. When I first started looking to build in the $250-325K price range - I didn't consider KB since I thought everything they offered was like Sundance Square. Unfortunately for KB that is what most people think - combined with the misguided perception that KB's quality hasn't changed from their RAYCO days.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,772,941 times
Thanks for the insight. The quality of workmanship over there really had me wondering... I noticed things like trim above the front door on one house that wasn't anywhere near close to being flush with the structure (think: .25 gap on one end, 1 inch gap on the other).

I was just there visiting someone - a new house wasn't on my agenda. But I notice things, and between the one area I visited and the signs all over some parts of the city I got curious. They seem to be a big company and it's probably hard to stay on top of subcontractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio