U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,718,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Regardless of builder...this home is nearly 2,800 square feet on one level, three car garage, Cardell (sp?) Cabinets, granite countertops, 1/3 acre and in a very nice community with a great location. You would be hard pressed to find a one story home with these features on this large of a lot surrounded by very nice homes...for this price. And if the bidding starts at $200M - then it will go for more. But still - $100.00/foot would be $280,000 - which is a good price for this type of home. A new A/C unit would be $10,000, $10,000 for high end stainless appliances and then spend another $15,000 on carpeting and fixtures...that is $35,000 for a three year old home that is now basically brand new!!! If you could get it for $245,000 I doubt you could get anything of this quality in Stone Oak and have the features described...again...a one story home...not the box on box jobs you see in most Stone Oak communities.

Just curious...have you driven through the Quarry? Have you seen it relative to other product you could get for this similary discounted pricing? I know when my family decided to build a house 18 months ago...there weren't very many builders that were offering large one story floor plans on large lots with three car garages. It is a unique feature in this price range.

I would ask the same question you did...Realtors, correct me if I am wrong. And if I am wrong...please provide the builder and community in the general area where you can get a large one story home with a three car garage on a 1/3 acre lot for less than $300,000. 18 months ago...this didn't exist in Stone Oak....things may have changed - so if I am wrong please update me.

Thanks.
I've personally been through a lot of high end subdivisions. Up until one year ago I was staging houses that were $500K and up. The short sale on this house would be very disturbing to me if I were a buyer. With the former tenants abusing that house, there is no telling what they may have done beyond just stealing fixtures, appliances, AC units and neglecting the landscaping. Isn't the landscaping part of the "package" in that area? We're talking SHORT SALE....so the fantasy of having all those "little" things taken care of in a snap is not realistic. My guess is an investor will buy it....because they will be the only ones who already have an accurate laundry list of what all those repairs/replacements/labor will cost.

Not that you're asking for suggestions, but you sound too defensive about this one foreclosure hurting your neighborhood. Welcome to the economy. It is a buyers market right now....and for every neighborhood you don't live in, they are also dealing with foreclosures across the city. Just check out the Bexar County Clerks web site for the latest list.

It's really not about your neighborhood, per se....we all are suffering in this together. Just hang tight and we'll all ride this wave together. Sleep good!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,187,430 times
Agreed - foreclosures are in just about every community. And it will impact our community - no doubt. My point was that for this type of house - it is a heck of a deal. Even with the repairs needed.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 PM

226 posts, read 820,754 times
Default KB Lies

Well I must say the KB Lies website is pretty impressive. I believe they have done a good job presenting their portrayal of KB. However, their portrayal of KB could be substituted for just about any mass production builder.

I will say on KB's behalf that they have gone along ways to fix the foundation problems that have plagued many San Antonio homes. They do a geotechnical survey on every lot and engineer the foundation to the soil present - at least I can attest to this in my subdivision Springtree. When I shopped around many builders to include 300K+ builders only sample their subdivisions, and don't test every lot.

Additionally, although KB has downgraded their offerings in many communities and thereby brought down the home prices in the subdivision, they haven't done so in their Springtree and Stage Run subdivisions. Everyone I know in Springtree is happy with their home. The city inspector told me before I bought that the KB Supt was doing a superb job when compared to other builders in the city.

I feel bad for those in Fox Grove who paid 20K more for the same home I bought from KB in Cibolo. It sucks that KB has lowered the price point.

With that said, I don't have too much pity of people who don't read the paperwork provided to them when they purchase a home. Everyone should read the fine print...KB just like most builders can change the homes being built in a community. How much effort does it take to also go talk to city officials about any future development plans? The reason big companies can push the little guy around is because the little guy doesn't take the time to read the important stuff. More time is spent picking out tile colors than talking to the engineer that did the geotechnical study.

I am very happy with my KB home. No complaints. I am very happy because I did my due diligence and spent 30 days in the home during construction to make sure it was built exceeding the minimum code standards, talked to the geotechnical engineer, got a copy of my soil report, hired a structural engineer during construction, paid to test the concrete, etc.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Well I must say the KB Lies website is pretty impressive. I believe they have done a good job presenting their portrayal of KB. However, their portrayal of KB could be substituted for just about any mass production builder.
I could write a book about all the sensationalized and inaccurate items on the KBLies website. It is well put together...but very misleading. The first thing that should tip anyone off about the problems with their site - as far as their agenda is concerned - is the fact that they haven't given KB any credit for the new higher end line that has been brought into the community. Their biggest complaint is the continued downgrading of the product...but now that KB has reversed their course...no mention of it anywhere.

I suspect one of the reasons they don't mention the very nice new higher end product is because they know they had little to do with it. They launched their very messy smear campaign in January 2009...after the new product (which they don't mention) was announced. Myself and a few other home owners had been working on a different campaign since last fall for the product that the Quarry now sells. We worked toward a compromise that is best for all involved...the KBLies crowd wants their homes bought back with a 20% premium!!!

That...and their very well put together website manages only to show the very top of the line estate series homes and present that as if every estate home looks like that. Fact is...they only show pictures of the houses that were optioned to the hilt...and not at all a fair representation of the average house in the Quarry.

But anyway...

Happy Easter everyone.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:56 AM

226 posts, read 820,754 times
Default Framing Studs

The website makes a claim that the new homes in the Quarry don't have 16" on center studs for non load bearing walls. Is this true? I remember this was one of the touting points that KB Quarry homes were better than other KB homes.

How often do they blast at the Quarry? Website states once a week.

Is KB using GULAMS above their windows and doors for their new product line?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,718,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I could write a book .......
After 50 pages on the Quarry at Iron Mountain....it looks like you're well on your way!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
The website makes a claim that the new homes in the Quarry don't have 16" on center studs for non load bearing walls. Is this true? I remember this was one of the touting points that KB Quarry homes were better than other KB homes.

How often do they blast at the Quarry? Website states once a week.

Is KB using GULAMS above their windows and doors for their new product line?
Actually the website faslely makes the following claim:

"24 vs. 16 on center studs on load bearing walls" See link below to find the quote.

Trails and Empire Series - Third and Fourth Downgraded Collections (http://kblies.com/history-quarry-iron-mountain/trails-empire-series.html - broken link)

The Original Estate and Liberty homes did have 16" on center studs on all walls...the current Liberty and the now discontinued Trails/Empire had 16" on center studs on all load bearing walls and 24" on center on non load bearing walls. In addition - KB uses metal cross bracing on both interior and exterior walls. The framing is more than sufficient - even with the 24" on center studs on the non load bearing walls.

As for the blasting...my wife stays at home and she hears the blasting maybe once per month. They disclosed to us when we built that they blasted every Monday at 4:00 PM. This is no longer the case. It is always at 4:00 PM but not on Mondays...and like I said...maybe one to two times per month. It is barely noticeable. It is a distant rumble like thunder...but no vibrations of any kind felt at our house.

What are gulams? The new series of homes is the nicest KB builds anywhere in South Texas...and they use very elaborate brick/stone detailing...so I would assume they use these gulams...but I am not familiar with the term.

Have you been to the community to see the new model?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,756,198 times
I believe the word is glulam.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 PM

487 posts, read 979,022 times
We live north of the quarry and they blast weekly, everything shakes for a second, and the dogs go crazy. It is not pleasant. You're fortunate it doesn't bother your neighborhood.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
We live north of the quarry and they blast weekly, everything shakes for a second, and the dogs go crazy. It is not pleasant. You're fortunate it doesn't bother your neighborhood.
I do know that the active part of the quarry has grown over time toward the north side. I suspect that when my neighborhood was new they had regular blasting toward the southern end - which would have been more of an issue. But it was a nice surprise that we don't feel it since it was disclosed to us during the buying process...we were expecting it to bother us. The good thing is that the quarry is very mature. I suspect that within the next few years it will be sold off as a commercial development since it fronts 281. At that point the dust and blasting will no longer be an issue. San Antonio has a good track record of converting old quarries to productive and very nice commercial space.

Do you have problems with air quality? While the blasting doesn't bother us...we find that things are very very dusty outside as a result of the aggregate manufacturing that goes on in the southern area of the quarry property. You can see the huge piles of gravel from our house!!! Anyway - the dust is terrible! We look forward to the day when they are done in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio