U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:00 PM
 
129 posts, read 142,547 times
Reputation: 317

Advertisements

Odd request, I know, but I'm looking for a carniceria/meat market that sells cabeza de cabrito (goat head). I've tried Culebra Meat Market and La Michoacana, but no dice. My terminally ill mom has this on her bucket list (when, if you read it, comes out looking more like a buffet list). I would love to fulfill this wish for her. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Mid South Central TX
3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
Reputation: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
Odd request, I know, but I'm looking for a carniceria/meat market that sells cabeza de cabrito (goat head). I've tried Culebra Meat Market and La Michoacana, but no dice. My terminally ill mom has this on her bucket list (when, if you read it, comes out looking more like a buffet list). I would love to fulfill this wish for her. Any suggestions?
Have you tried HEB? When we lived in McAllen, they were sold in the meat department. Imagine my Northerner SHOCK when I peeked into the meat case to see HEADS looking at me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 05:03 PM
 
129 posts, read 142,547 times
Reputation: 317
I've checked the HEB's in my area and none had them. I've seen cow and pig heads, but no goat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,410,017 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Where?

Where do you, a northerner, hail from Pobre? I do not know where to get cabeza either.
I can , yes , imagine your "Northerner Shock" I have seen a few Yanks disbelief over what is eaten around here. To some Yanks even Catfish is inedible.
I, myself have never eaten Tripitas nor head cheese nor blood sausage. Admit to liking Braunschweiger (pork liver sausage). Too unhealthy however.
I was once told by a worker in a slaughterhouse not to eat Potted Meat. Absolutely everything, all leftover animal parts, goes into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Have you tried HEB? When we lived in McAllen, they were sold in the meat department. Imagine my Northerner SHOCK when I peeked into the meat case to see HEADS looking at me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM
 
129 posts, read 142,547 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I, myself have never eaten Tripitas nor head cheese nor blood sausage.
Mmmmm....tripas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times
Reputation: 3308
Check Bolner's. If they don't have it, maybe they could get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Mid South Central TX
3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
Reputation: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
I've checked the HEB's in my area and none had them. I've seen cow and pig heads, but no goat.
Ask the meat manager if they can order it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Where do you, a northerner, hail from Pobre? I do not know where to get cabeza either.
I can , yes , imagine your "Northerner Shock" I have seen a few Yanks disbelief over what is eaten around here. To some Yanks even Catfish is inedible.
Boston area. Trust me, I spent many a summer in Georgia with my Southern grandma, but I had never seen/heard of people eating HEADS! My husband (who grew up in Mexico) is not a fan, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
467 posts, read 910,786 times
Reputation: 234
Al Madina Meat Market

OPEN
Today: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Tomorrow: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm

9218 Wurzbach Rd,
San Antonio, TX 78240
(210) 949-0430


He says he has none now,..but he can get one upon request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
37,725 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Reputation: 89159
Check with AliBaba meat department. They get whole goats. I didn't see the heads on sale, but they must be doing with them something...
9307 Wurzbach Rd, San Antonio, TX 78240
(210) 691-1111
Instead of calling, go there and talk with the butchers.
Good luck!!
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,269,339 times
Reputation: 22342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
I've checked the HEB's in my area and none had them. I've seen cow and pig heads, but no goat.
I can't help you find that goat head, but I just wanted to comment how lucky you are not to live in Missouri. They won't even carry lamb here.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top