U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,449,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I laughed. They're stereotypes, not the truth. I especially liked the arbitrary speeding tickets around Leon Valley, Selma, etc.
I laughed too. Those areas are very much stereotyped for speeding tickets from what I hear from others BUT I have never personally gotten a ticket myself in any of those areas you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM

818 posts, read 986,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
It's not.

Unless that "someone" has a corresponding racist and judgmental mindset as that map.

The map is about as truthful and helpful as a 24/7 cable news channel.
It is helpful and it is mostly accurate. There is a reason people laugh when they read it and there is a reason a stereotype is a stereotype.

It's certainly not politically correct but, in spite of some of the hyperbole, it is a pretty accurate picture of the city.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 AM

3,931 posts, read 4,705,308 times
Good but a LOT was left out of that map!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM

447 posts, read 580,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I laughed too. Those areas are very much stereotyped for speeding tickets from what I hear from others BUT I have never personally gotten a ticket myself in any of those areas you mentioned.
Neither have I! But that's cause I'm careful there. I've got a friend that lived in Leon Valley for several years. Nightmare-ish enforcement. Example: One of his room mates seriously got a parking ticket in front of his own house for being 8 inches (instead of 6) away from the curb. I've never had a problem with it, but a lot of my friends did when visiting my house in Schertz 10 years ago or so. Speed traps with cops waiting for you to go 2 or 3 miles over down hill, etc. in Schertz, Selma, Garden Ridge, etc.

It's not a huge problem, you just gotta keep a really close eye on the speedometer when going through those places.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,874,024 times
Some of the map is WAY off.

In the "low paying office jobs" section near 410 actually has some of the highest payed people in all of San Antonio.

The are included the headquarters for Broadway Bank, Frost Brokerage, regional headquarters for Taco Cabana, an Energy Company headquarters, and NISD administration offices.

AND

"Boring gay" should be moved about 3 miles south....

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM

6,194 posts, read 8,663,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Some of the map is WAY off.

In the "low paying office jobs" section near 410 actually has some of the highest payed people in all of San Antonio.

The are included the headquarters for Broadway Bank, Frost Brokerage, regional headquarters for Taco Cabana, an Energy Company headquarters, and NISD administration offices.
Do you mean NEISD? NISD offices are in Leon valley.

Also this map makes my chuckle every time I see it. It's so dead on, although I feel like the SE side needs to be labeled, maybe like super rural? Or like oil field? I don't know.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,874,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Do you mean NEISD? NISD offices are in Leon valley.

Also this map makes my chuckle every time I see it. It's so dead on, although I feel like the SE side needs to be labeled, maybe like super rural? Or like oil field? I don't know.
Yes I meant NEISD and pointed out many times the map half accurate.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,226,435 times
If you believe there is a grain of truth in these descriptions and would like to look at SA zip codes as marketers view them, without the snark, check out

Esri - Tapestry Segmentation We are a nation of ZIP Codes and neighborhoods. See how the next generation of Tapestry describes yours.

I've looked up my zip code and the zip codes next to mine on that site and the descriptions are uncanny.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 AM

4,182 posts, read 4,164,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Good but a LOT was left out of that map!
Do you mean it could have been more judgemental or it should have included the entire 1604 loop?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 AM

816 posts, read 1,479,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you believe there is a grain of truth in these descriptions and would like to look at SA zip codes as marketers view them, without the snark, check out

Esri - Tapestry Segmentation We are a nation of ZIP Codes and neighborhoods. See how the next generation of Tapestry describes yours.

I've looked up my zip code and the zip codes next to mine on that site and the descriptions are uncanny.
The problem with looking at areas at the zip code level is that (especially for areas inside 410) it generalizes way too much. I much prefer the marketing/ demographic charts that are based on census tracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio