Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,606 times

Advertisements

We are looking at getting a swimming pool soon and are having difficulty deciding between gunite and fiberglass. We are also having a difficult time choosing a contractor. So far we have talked to Gary's pools and patio for fiberglass and blue haven is coming this week for gunite. Also thinking about leisure, Stephen korbar, and Tim the pool man. Does anyone have recommendations for San Antonio pool contractors? Seems like reviews are either really good or really bad and it makes it hard to trust who is good for such a big investment.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Speaking personally, I'd never go with an in-ground fiberglass pool. Look at some old fiberglass boats some time, and you'll see why. Lots of folks will spout out about the "better/different/space age" stuff used on pools....but just sayin', it ain't sumthin' I'd do!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Speaking personally, I'd never go with an in-ground fiberglass pool. Look at some old fiberglass boats some time, and you'll see why. Lots of folks will spout out about the "better/different/space age" stuff used on pools....but just sayin', it ain't sumthin' I'd do!
Yeah, I've never seen a fiberglass pool in the ground that looks like it held up well.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
A swimming pool is not a thing you want to cheap out. Get a good one from an installer that has been in the business at least 10 years. If you have any issues they'll be there to take care of the problem. There are a LOT of pools that are covered over in San Antonio from folks installing them that have no clue what they are doing. The home owner is usually the one that takes the hit in the wallet to fill it along with the initial cost of the pool. This can be a $50,000. mistake so make sure the folks you hire are qualified. Considering you've already gotten quotes from 2 of the best in town, pick one and either go with it or forget it.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,606 times
We haven't received quotes yet. We just talked to Gary's and BlueHaven is coming on Wed. However, Gary's has really bad reviews on Angie's list as does leisure pools. On Angie's list, Blue Haven, Stephen korbar, and Tim the pool man, all had good reviews but I believe they are all gunite only. I'm asking for any advice suggestions because it is a very large investment. People seem to either love or hate fiberglass. I don't believe everything I read, but it does seem reasonable that they are less maintenance.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:19 PM

358 posts, read 577,640 times
Gary's Pool and Patio and Gary's Pools are totally different companies.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,339 times
We are considering a pool too. We are trying to decide between Anthony & Sylvan Pools and Blue Haven Pools. Did you end up picking anyone? Do you have any final input after talking to other companies.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
I would never buy a house that has a fiberglass pool. Period, end of story.

There may be others that would, but not me.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM

25 posts, read 70,022 times
We are currently building with Pool Concepts. They are finishing excavation today. So far everything has been wonderful. I will let you know how things turn out.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,962 times
I'd definitely like to hear how Pool Concepts works out for you. They are on my list for a quote as well...seemed like nice folks when I dropped by there.

Already talked to Bluehaven about a quote and visited Keith Zars showroom.
Also planning to look at Stephen Korbar as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio