Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 AM

107 posts, read 412,741 times

Advertisements

I don't think comparisons to other cities is going to get us very far, whether that leaves you thinking we "way cooler" or "way lamer" than others. I love our town because of its history and the people that built the buildings and made the food and started the traditions that we hold so dear. If we look back 50 years from now, as we do with the riverwalk today, will we admire The Rim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM

74 posts, read 239,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops View Post
I don't think comparisons to other cities is going to get us very far, whether that leaves you thinking we "way cooler" or "way lamer" than others. I love our town because of its history and the people that built the buildings and made the food and started the traditions that we hold so dear. If we look back 50 years from now, as we do with the riverwalk today, will we admire The Rim?
Very interesting point. Same goes for La Cantera and The Quarry for that matter! And who can forget about the boots at North Star Mall...

Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter1869 View Post
Very interesting point. Same goes for La Cantera and The Quarry for that matter! And who can forget about the boots at North Star Mall...

Cooter: I'm not sure I understand your point. From my perspective, the North Star boots (not the mall, just the boots!) are iconic - something uniquely identified with San Antonio that has had and will continue to have significance throughout the years... similar to the Riverwalk. On the other hand, I believe tops point was that 50 years from now no one is going to look at The Rim, The Quarry or La Cantera as anything more than run-of-the mill shopping centers with little historic or sentimental value. In fact, it's quite likely that those shopping centers will be remodeled or repurposed (a la Central Park and Windsor Park).

IMHO - we should value what's unique and timeless and truly beautiful about San Antonio, rather than glorifying the latest concrete homage to homogenized consumerism. (oops, I think I walked out the door in my tie-dye and birkenstocks today )

Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 AM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
When considering the number of "visitors" to San Antonio, one should note that a huge number of these are conference attendees who are FORCED to come here on business. It's not like they are true tourists. I wonder if the article's authors made the distinction between tourists and business travelers, who comprise the bulk of Riverwalk activity from what I've witnessed.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
When considering the number of "visitors" to San Antonio, one should note that a huge number of these are conference attendees who are FORCED to come here on business. It's not like they are true tourists. I wonder if the article's authors made the distinction between tourists and business travelers, who comprise the bulk of Riverwalk activity from what I've witnessed.
Forced to come here? Most get a vote on where they want to have their conferences. San Antonio is a very appealing city to visitors and has something like a mid 90's% return rate for visitors.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post

I think this would apply for all cities. When you consider all the major sporting events, S.A. holds, like the Final Four, time and time again. You seem to get the picture that it is a well liked place.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times
I do know that tons of associations have their conferences in SA and that attendees have a very good experience.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
San Antonio overall is steps above Austin, how bias can one magazine gets. Austinites must be very jealous of San Antonio because they never say anything god about the city while the reverse is true for San Antonians

Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Its funny, I read that article, it was all in the past tense, it said SA used to be like that, its not anymore. I read it that we are growing, we are doing more as a boomtown.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,529 times
Quote:
They got it right. While yes the trend has always been towards two San Antonios, it has quickened recently to the point where we're becoming one of those "boom towns" along with all of their traffic, commute distances, and lack of identity. Furthermore, the mass construction on the far northside is destroying the identity of the hill country. It's one thing to want to live outside a dense city and be surrounded by nature, it's another to clear a hill side, pave it all, give it a earthy name like Stone Oak, and spend the majority of your free time staring at the back of someone's bumper on your way to happy hour at Applebee's.

By no means do I think it's too late to save what we have, as the inner barrios are fixing up and filling in, but I am constantly wondering if progress is the right term for the 281/1604 interchange.
I have to agree with this. Although I am from central Texas, I've spent much time in SA and have noticed the huge growth (both there and everywhere, unfortunately). I am so tired of be green this, and be green that...if you want to BE GREEN -- RECYCLE homes and neighborhoods and quit building new homes and strip malls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio