U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
461 posts, read 350,898 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

There's a program called "the show" which airs at 4pm on ticket 760 am. They will talk about MLS in San Antonio today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:29 AM
 
424 posts, read 511,171 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
haha. I am a MAJOR soccer/football fanatic, but this cracks me up.

I used to think MLS would do great here, but the Scorpions are struggling for fans. It's growing, but still has a long way to go. I think people would slowly come around to MLS, but it will take time. It'd help if seats were even cheaper. While season tickets for Scorpions' games are better than for Spurs, you can get cheap individual tickets for less for Spurs games than for Scorpions games.
Struggling for fans? The Scorpions have the second best attendance on the NASL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,382,051 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Struggling for fans? The Scorpions have the second best attendance on the NASL.
Then maybe the NASL is struggling. I just know that when I've been at matches, there are many empty seats. They've been doing as well as can be expected, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
1,074 posts, read 1,587,689 times
Reputation: 683
Is this dude for real? Give up socializing to support soccer??? Sorry but this request will not happen in the near future. People would be more likely to support an MLB or NFL team before soccer. Plus people only like soccer when it comes around every 4 years in the World Cup. Now that America is out of the contest how many bars, news channels, etc. are even talking about soccer other than ESPN and the lil tidbit on local news channels? But keep dreaming.....soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 AM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,179,121 times
Reputation: 1330
NASL isn't the highest tier league, so you're not going to get every soccer fan to those games because not every soccer fan follows NASL.

My family watches a lot of soccer, but for various reasons we've never been to a Scorpions game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,382,051 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
NASL isn't the highest tier league, so you're not going to get every soccer fan to those games because not every soccer fan follows NASL.

My family watches a lot of soccer, but for various reasons we've never been to a Scorpions game.
In countries where soccer is the main sport, there are multiple tiers and nearly every town has a team (Level 1 or level 4....). Often the lower tiers are amateurs who have regular professions, and honestly these are often the most fun to watch. In such places, locals usually support their local team, regardless of level.

I'm thrilled we have the scorpions, and it's great for our kids to be able to watch live soccer on that level, but I doubt attendance would be a whole lot different if it was MLS. We just don't have that kind of tradition, the tradition that embraces a local soccer team at any level. I'm not sure soccer will ever be as popular as the NBA or NFL or MLB in this country, but that's ok. I kind of like being the underdog in the World Cup. And plenty of us still watch as many matches as possible, even when it's not the USA playing.

ps - I'd be very happy to be wrong and see it take off like wildfire, but I've been waiting 20 years for that to happen. It's definitely gained in popularity, but we just don't have the tradition of it and you can't change 200 years of history.

All that said, one reason I love soccer above all else is, despite what the youth leagues make you think, it's free. Anyone can play it, you don't even need a ball. A bunch of rags tied in string and a couple of empty cans for a goal work well enough for most kids around the world .

Last edited by Chaka; 07-07-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM
 
1,175 posts, read 1,179,121 times
Reputation: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
In countries where soccer is the main sport, there are multiple tiers and nearly every town has a team (Level 1 or level 4....). Often the lower tiers are amateurs who have regular professions, and honestly these are often the most fun to watch. In such places, locals usually support their local team, regardless of level.
Of course they do, it's usually been an existing team for decades. I watched another team for the last decade plus and the Scorpions tend to play at the same time, so I tend to watch the team I've followed for awhile. It's much easier to sit at home and watch "my team" on the TV, then go to the stadium 30 minutes away and watch another game, wondering how my team is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm thrilled we have the scorpions, and it's great for our kids to be able to watch live soccer on that level,
As am I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
but I doubt attendance would be a whole lot different if it was MLS. We just don't have that kind of tradition, the tradition that embraces a local soccer team at any level.
That's possible, but MLS could do a lot worse IMO. Like the new team in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm not sure soccer will ever be as popular as the NBA or NFL or MLB in this country, but that's ok. I kind of like being the underdog in the World Cup. And plenty of us still watch as many matches as possible, even when it's not the USA playing.
I don't know that it will ever be either, and really I don't care. I love soccer, and at the same time I don't understand people's fascination with basketball, but I don't worry about it. People can follow the sport, or sports they like. I don't feel the need to convert people to soccer, they either understand or they don't. Just like I don't understand basketball, lots of people don't understand soccer.
Honestly, as far as the USMNT goes, I'm tired of us being the underdog and being ok with it. I truly think we under performed this World Cup despite having a more talented roster, but that's a discussion for another forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
ps - I'd be very happy to be wrong and see it take off like wildfire, but I've been waiting 20 years for that to happen. It's definitely gained in popularity, but we just don't have the tradition of it and you can't change 200 years of history.
I think the growth rate of the sport in the USA is just fine. If you take MLS as an example, there are many more teams than there was when they started, the salaries are starting to get competitive with other countries and the fans are coming with both of those. I still don't think it needs to be one of the big three for it to be successful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
All that said, one reason I love soccer above all else is, despite what the youth leagues make you think, it's free. Anyone can play it, you don't even need a ball. A bunch of rags tied in string and a couple of empty cans for a goal work well enough for most kids around the world .
This is why I think it will be successful in the long run. Lots of kids play soccer, and as soccer grows in this country, more kids are going to stick with it, instead of switching to other more popular sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM
 
5,632 posts, read 6,446,757 times
Reputation: 3608
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Now that America is out of the contest how many bars, news channels, etc. are even talking about soccer other than ESPN and the lil tidbit on local news channels? But keep dreaming.....soccer
Support for soccer hasn't seemed to change much even with America out of the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
135 posts, read 184,947 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
NASL isn't the highest tier league, so you're not going to get every soccer fan to those games because not every soccer fan follows NASL.

My family watches a lot of soccer, but for various reasons we've never been to a Scorpions game.
I agree 100%. Just because it's soccer doesn't mean every soccer fan will flock to it. I've been to one Scorpions game and that's probably it for me. The quality is lacking IMO and that makes it unappealing for me. If it were to become MLS, I would definitely give it another chance as I'm sure the team would get new talent. Until then, I'll stick to watching top flight soccer on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
1,074 posts, read 1,587,689 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Support for soccer hasn't seemed to change much even with America out of the picture.

What are you basing this on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top