U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM

5,629 posts, read 6,439,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
What are you basing this on?
Well like your statement, it is an opinion. My own opinion. It seems like support for soccer is pretty strong here. Maybe I am wrong. Look at all the US news about the Germany and Brazil game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:01 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,586,902 times
The die hards will always watch soccer regardless of the time of year. World Cup, MLS and other leagues for sure. For the casual fan, which seems to be the majority in Texas, soccer has no weight here. Texas has their roots deep in football. Friday night lights, college, and the NFL are extremely prevalent here and will continue to be in the future. Think about it...what do you see more of around town. Cowboys/Texans gear or Scorpions gear? The only 2 reasons the Germany game made headlines was because it was the semifinals and the score of that match. The country's intrigue about soccer dwindled when the US lost to Belgium. The only ones who are most likely still interested in these matches are the die hard soccer fans and Vegas. Oh, and the OP who thinks we should be playing soccer video games and not interacting with society unless it is about soccer.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
Quote:
The only 2 reasons the Germany game made headlines was because it was the semifinals and the score of that match. The country's intrigue about soccer dwindled when the US lost to Belgium. The only ones who are most likely still interested in these matches are the die hard soccer fans and Vegas. Oh, and the OP who thinks we should be playing soccer video games and not interacting with society unless it is about soccer.
My Facebook feed has been constant with WC updates from locals, and tons of locals are watching the matches live. These are people who are also dedicated Spurs fans, and some Cowboys fans. So fandom need not be mutually exclusive.

and the NYT page devoted to World Cup 2014 is still quite active.

Last edited by Chaka; 07-09-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM

461 posts, read 350,582 times
its official, Germany vs Argentina for the Championship this sunday. let's all make the day like Super Sunday and NBA finals night. bring friends over, set up the bbq pit, bring your snacks. pass the world to friends and family.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM

818 posts, read 985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
its official, Germany vs Argentina for the Championship this sunday. let's all make the day like Super Sunday and NBA finals night. bring friends over, set up the bbq pit, bring your snacks. pass the world to friends and family.
No thanks. I am afraid all my friends would be inspired to start flopping around on the floor if I ask them to pass the chips or something harmless like that.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,178,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
No thanks. I am afraid all my friends would be inspired to start flopping around on the floor if I ask them to pass the chips or something harmless like that.
LOL, you obviously haven't been watching, but I don't blame you for saying that, it's the typical response from people who are afraid of the sport in this country.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:37 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,378,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
LOL, you obviously haven't been watching, but I don't blame you for saying that, it's the typical response from people who are afraid of the sport in this country.
Or he saw this Exaggerated Soccer Injuries Look Ridiculous Off the Field

No one loves the sport more than I, but the diving is out of control. I know drawing a foul is a tactical move, but it's one element of the game I just don't like.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:46 AM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I am torn between BBQ and going to the pub. Interest here hasnt dwindled a whole lot since the US got out, many still watch and have been going to bars.

If theyre NFL fans why would they start now ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-JYSXDp9k

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,586,902 times
Just remember everyone. No socializing or listening to techno music on Sunday. Wake up, talk only about soccer, you might be able to snack on some soccer-related items, and remeber to play those video games! But seriously, perhaps they need to fine players like the NBA does. They get fined for every flop they do. Usually when these primadonnas get hit in the pocketbook they wake up. Usually is used loosely there.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 AM

7,549 posts, read 16,383,531 times
Quote:
Just remember everyone. No socializing or listening to techno music on Sunday. Wake up, talk only about soccer, you might be able to snack on some soccer-related items, and remeber to play those video games! But seriously, perhaps they need to fine players like the NBA does. They get fined for every flop they do. Usually when these primadonnas get hit in the pocketbook they wake up. Usually is used loosely there.
FIFA wont fine, but some leagues already do. FIFA is an OLD organisation based on corrupt people running it. Does NFL fine people for dives ? Cheating is a bad part of every sport, to deny its in whatever X sport is your favourite is blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio