U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM

461 posts, read 349,338 times

Advertisements

Keith Olbermann explained his 7 ways soccer can work in the US on his program on ESPN, now i explain my 7 ways MLS succeeding in SA. before i explain my seven ways, i want to say this; Soccer is a great and interesting sport, and america's interest in the sport is on an all-time high during this World Cup season. so here it goes from 7 to 1. read real sharp!

7. KNOW the HISTORY; its great to know the history of the game, so know it. the more you know, the more youll love soccer.

6. SHARE SOCCER POSTINGs and TALK ABOUT IT at dinner table, break room, birthday party. print flyers, share soccer related postings on FB, twitter, etc. no sharing about "going to the club", or "having a few beers talking about ga-ga." or "watching the big boxing match". call a friend, convince them about a major soccer event on TV or near your area. get them hooked. it can be a major topic of discussion, better that talking about "a purse you saw at Old Navy."

5. PLAY SOCCER VIDEO GAMES: buy your kids some EA Sports FIFA soccer games, theyre so fun and exciting.

4. SKIP or GIVE UP WATCHING BORING SPORTS: Boxing, NBA basketball games(not involving the Spurs), NFL games(not involving the Cowboys and Texans)<----addicting sports every sports fan gets too addicted in SA; you have to give them up. I love my Cowboys and Spurs, but whenever the Cowboys, Texans or Spurs are not playing that day, and if our US team, Scorpions, or any major soccer game is happening that day, watch that soccer game.

3. ALSO WATCH OLYMPIC SOCCER, cause soccer is part of the Olympics and the Olympics is a big event like the Super Bowl.

2. SKIP THE NIGHTLIFE, SOCCER IS BETTER THAN NIGHTLIFE SOCIALIZING. one of the main distraction that cause people to forget about the beautiful game. "no going to nightclubs"(that hasnt have TVs airing soccer games), "no more listening to techno music" in the mornings or evenings, and "no concerts" on days of a world cup game, US national team game, your local pro soccer team game(MLS, NASL, etc).

1. CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE SCORPIONS: Gordon Hartman build Toyota Field for a purpose, to not only bring pro soccer which we have now, but to help Promote the Scorpions to MLS in the near future.

Last edited by DGarcia879; 07-06-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM

243 posts, read 282,827 times
You have got to be kidding.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
You have got to be kidding.
if you can see, America's interests in Soccer during the World Cup season is at an all-time high. almost everywhere you go, you see a guy wearing a US national team shirt, or this woman wearing an Argentine national team jersey or even the little boy wearing a FC Barcelona jersey. its such a great sport. one way to really put SA on the map is by having the Scorpions as a MLS franchise.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,436,928 times
How can a Spurs fan give up watching the NBA just because the Spurs are not playing? That is like saying don't watch MLS, World Cup, Olympic Soccer, Champions League, Euro Championships, etc... just because there are no Scorpion players in the field.

I will say there are some very attractive women at Scorpion games, but people cannot plan there social life around a minor league sporting event.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
How can a Spurs fan give up watching the NBA just because the Spurs are not playing? That is like saying don't watch MLS, World Cup, Olympic Soccer, Champions League, Euro Championships, etc... just because there are no Scorpion players in the field.

I will say there are some very attractive women at Scorpion games, but people cannot plan there social life around a minor league sporting event.
well for one thing, the game of soccer is "interesting and unique"(except for mostly the college level). we outta try something different for the most part. it helps us see the world more.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,308,551 times
So we are supposed to give up things we love doing, in order to support your obsession with soccer?

Craziest thread ever!
Give up our "boring" sports because soccer is so much better? Give up our nightlife to support soccer? Give up listening to whatever music we enjoy, so we can listen to a soccer match??
I think you are a little overboard here.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
So we are supposed to give up things we love doing, in order to support your obsession with soccer?

Craziest thread ever!
Give up our "boring" sports because soccer is so much better? Give up our nightlife to support soccer? Give up listening to whatever music we enjoy, so we can listen to a soccer match??
I think you are a little overboard here.
thats the only way an MLS team can do extremely well in SA. it needs fans, lots of fans. unless theres a good reason to miss the scorpions or any major soccer game(jury duty, death in family, kid's sporting event, overtime at work, etc)

Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 PM

4,149 posts, read 4,711,766 times
From a marketing standpoint, I actually think MLS would work here in SA. We are the seventh largest city, and we have a large Hispanic population over South Texas that would pay to see it.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 AM

424 posts, read 508,984 times
This thread... is this real life?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,361,462 times
haha. I am a MAJOR soccer/football fanatic, but this cracks me up.

I used to think MLS would do great here, but the Scorpions are struggling for fans. It's growing, but still has a long way to go. I think people would slowly come around to MLS, but it will take time. It'd help if seats were even cheaper. While season tickets for Scorpions' games are better than for Spurs, you can get cheap individual tickets for less for Spurs games than for Scorpions games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio