U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM

470 posts, read 1,789,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Well, but see, this is the problem with jailing drunk drivers....
YES, they are right where they should be...
God, I'm treading very lightly here, because .... well, you know... this thread is an old one and this topic came up before.....

BUT... the REALITY is, whether we like it or not, because they are not considered the most violent of criminals, and the prisons are FAR over capacity....

these are the ones that will get parole first.... before the ones who have done uglier, more savage, CONSCIOUS, not in an altered state....

Soooo.... if we know they're going to get back out onto the streets.... we've got to have some programs going on inside the prisons.... AA, NA, whatever other programs/treatments are used and available ...

Sure, we could lock them up forever - and I realize some think they should be locked up forever regardless of the state of the prison systems...
but the reality is.....
they won't be....
so, have them back on the street drinking again... OR...
have the prison system make some GENUINE effort at rehabilitation....
because you know and I know that they WILL BE BACK ON THE STREETS, and sooner than we would like to think.....
Drunk drivers scare the bejesus out of me too.... but they are in an altered state... more often than not they don't even have any recollection of even driving at all, let alone an accident.... not like someone who decides to come in and rob your house or who decides to go on a shooting spree or ... whatever else..... and they drive in blackouts too.... a blackout is very common in people who drink alcoholically.. they won't even remember where they were the night before..... big chunks of time and memory missing....
I AM NOT CONDONING WHAT THEY DO; I'M JUST STATING REALITY
This certainly brings up the issues regarding moral and legal responsibility of individuals who are under the influence of __________________ [INSERT SUBSTANCE].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Every single injury and death caused by drunk driving is totally preventable.

I don't recall this young woman saying she is an alcoholic, or blaming this accident on alcoholism. No, she says that she was stressed out (like who hasn't been?) and decided to leave her young infant at home and go out and get her drink on. This choice she freely and soberly made led to the death of the other girl. Yes, we all make bad choices sometimes, and I guess there but for the grace of God go I.

She made a very bad choice. Someone is dead. She and the other drunk driver are to blame.

There is no BUT, as far as I'm concerned. She better hope I'm not called for jury duty any time soon.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,654 times
Alcoholics don't have to declare themselves alcholic in order to BE alcoholic...

I've seen other posters state, here and elsewhere, that they use a designated driver OR they make a conscious decision beforehand to NOT have more than one or two drinks, or whatever their limit seems to be...

Historically, 'normal' drinkers don't have these kinds of accidents and, if they're involved in an accident, they don't typically test as 'legally intoxicated'.

Of course, there is a possibility that this young woman isn't an alcoholic; but what the h***, she was over the legal limit when she killed someone, so while she's in prison, why not introduce her to the possibility of having her consider whether or not her drinking that night led to these horrible horrible circumstances...... ????

My money's on her being an alcoholic....
But NEVER, EVER, EVER, have I subscribed to any belief that alcoholics, because the AMA has classified alcoholism a disease, should get a free pass... never, and you won't ever hear me doing it either.... They kill someone, they need to pay the price...
But for MY TAX MONEY... you damn well better be rehabilitating him/her while she's in there.....

Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Every single injury and death caused by drunk driving is totally preventable.

I don't recall this young woman saying she is an alcoholic, or blaming this accident on alcoholism. No, she says that she was stressed out (like who hasn't been?) and decided to leave her young infant at home and go out and get her drink on. This choice she freely and soberly made led to the death of the other girl. Yes, we all make bad choices sometimes, and I guess there but for the grace of God go I.

She made a very bad choice. Someone is dead. She and the other drunk driver are to blame.

There is no BUT, as far as I'm concerned. She better hope I'm not called for jury duty any time soon.
See, that is EXACTLY my point... "Every single injury and death caused by drunk driving is totally preventable."
and if I am called for jury duty, I too, will take a very tough stance. I have no pity for her or any other person that endangers or harms others, by whatever the means. But, these things don't happen by accident. Non-alcoholics don't just - whoops, go to jail..... for driving under the influence and killing someone. Normal drinkers either get a designated driver, or know their limits and have the ability to say 'no' .....
And, of COURSE, this young woman is not going to state she is an alcoholic. No one will do that until the very bottom of bottom-most pit is reached. And maybe she isn't alcoholic, but she was legally intoxicated and got behind the wheel of a car. I'm guessing it wasn't the first time, either. Normal drinkers don't typically face these kinds of 'problems' when they wake up in the morning... in fact, normal drinkers DO 'wake up' and alcoholics 'come to' in the morning....
It was laughable to see a video clip where she stood in front of a judge and said she had 'been under a lot of stress'... Yeah, you and millions of other people, honey... and it was amazing to know that her attorney let her stand there and make such a lame, laughable statement....
She needed to own up to the devastating damage that she caused by making the choices she made that night. TRULY devastating, irreversible damage... instead, "I was under a lot of stress...."

Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinocowboy View Post
This certainly brings up the issues regarding moral and legal responsibility of individuals who are under the influence of __________________ [INSERT SUBSTANCE].
Yep, you're absolutely right.....
There was a time when it was primarily alcohol, because it was a legal substance... but now... even though many drugs remain illegal, it could be any number of substances. YOU COULD EVEN BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANGER and have horrific consequences.....

I'm always surprised that alcoholism is still so misunderstood... and no, I'm NOT saying ALCOHOLICS are misunderstood ... I'm saying the disease of ALCOHOLISM is so misunderstood.... it amazes me, in the 21st century and with the AMA classifying it as a disease nearly fifty years ago.. amazing....

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 02-18-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,352,302 times
Update:

AP is reporting that 3 paramedics have had their certification suspended for 6 months by the Texas Department of State Health Services in relation to this accident.

Medics disciplined over untreated victim who later died | Top stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
what happened to the stupid drunk that caused the accident? Probably didn't get jack, like the rest of the drunks in this city

Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,601,712 times
Jenny Ann Ybarra, Ybarra was indicted in June on charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 AM

45 posts, read 380,296 times
I admit I didn't read all the posts, but I would like to ask one question. Isn't it the job of medical professionals to pronounce death? I mean. In the event of any injurious accident, whether minor or major, the paramedics are supposed to be called. I'm not fan of the SAPD, but I don't think you can blame them. Unless of course they took it upon themselves to pronounce death and called off the paramedics. In either event I'm interested in what came of all of this.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 AM

288 posts, read 829,586 times
As I was reading through the posts in this thread, for the most part I was happy to see that many people did not immediately point fingers at the paramedics. It doesn't take a person with much intelligence to see there was/is more to this story than was initially reported. The article on ksat.com this week that gave the news of the disciplinary action decision against the paramedics was the first I have read since the accident that says Erica Smith's brain was exposed. The media completely blew the wrong aspects of this story into a sensationalized fury. No media outlet ever reported that not only was Smith's skull crushed in, but her brain was exposed and also splattered onto the dashboard. Why would the media leave this out? Because they loved the idea of making it seem like SAFD paramedics killed a young innocent women by not treating her appropriately. Should they have found her pulse, sure, but only to follow protocol, because in this case having found her pulse and rushing her to the hospital would not have saved her life. So for those who think the paramedics didn't serve a harsh enough punishment, remember they need only be disciplined for failing to follow protocol, which in this case they knew wouldn't help the victim. Like other posters said, the media should continually be posting Ybarra's name and picture all over T.V. every time they run another part of this story. She is the cause for this loss of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio