U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM

14,627 posts, read 31,214,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You asked if someone should hang for this. Not hang, necessarily, but severe, quick punishment needs to be handed out to the drunk driver that caused this in the first place. She didn't even ask how anybody was doing after she slammed into them head on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Wel, I'm no doctor, but one article said most of her skull was crushed in. I don't see how you survive that. I feel bad for everyone involved, and am saving my judgment for when all of the facts come out.
Agreed, SAFDWife. Thank your husband for me, for being brave enough to do what others won't.

This thread got really ugly. It's so sad that all the focus is on the wrong thing. Drunk driving was the issue, and the drunk driver is to blame. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
very good post SAFD_Wife and that's the same point I've been trying to make. I don't think any of us here are perfect, but most of us are intelligent enough to not drink and drive. I'm glad the scum was indicted, but am still interested in whether or not she received any punishment. I did a google search, but the only mention of her was a brief mention that she was the idiot that caused everything. Of course no article actually worded it that way because they were too busy trying to vilify the wrong people. This still makes me mad and I'm sure this pathetic piece of trash is still hanging around bars and drinking and driving. They never learn and that's why their punishment should be much more severe.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 380,513 times
I see now. Thanks for clearing up the real issue. Not to join in on the drunk driving crusade, but I was seriously enraged to hear that the punishment for a non-injurious, first offense, drunk driving incident is now a misdemeanor. That's like saying, "don't worry about it. Your first one isn't so bad. Get out there are slam back some drinks, you'll only get a slap on the wrist your first time getting caught."

I'm not so self-righteous to pretend I have never driven drunk. And thank the powers that be, that I didn't hurt myself, my passenger, or an innocent bystander. But the fact remains that if we lessen the first offense, that is going to cause an increase in first offense fatalities. No one ever has a few drinks and says, "tonight, I'm going to drive drunk and I'll probably hurt or kill someone." But the more people that are less worried about their first offense, more people that are going to take the serious risk of driving home from the bar intoxicated.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,624,443 times
Moderator cut: copyrighted material

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2008 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Do not post long excerpts of copyrighted material. If you want to share long excerpts, post a link to the original article.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,742,643 times
Well, Jenny Ybarra was sentenced to TWO years prison today. Ten years probation.

Ybarra sentenced to 2 years in prison in drunken driving death | News - Home

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 6,105,232 times
Should have been the other way around....

Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,794 times
Good to see our SA juries been leniant on drunk drivers, makes it ok for some dumb people to do the same thing. I hope those juries and Barrera are able to sleep tonight.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,828,803 times
It is scary that local juries are so leinient on drunk drivers given the extremely high numbers of DUI fatality accidents I have read about in the two years I have been here. The police cannot be everywhere, if you know a friend or family member that drives drunk, intervene and save a life.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM

41 posts, read 73,789 times
I personally feel this verdict is atrocious. The defendant was able to pry on the emotions of the jury and ,basically, get a slap on the wrist. She will be able to live her life after a year or two, enjoy her daughters, and live the rest of her life. Meanwhile a mother must continue life without her only daughter. I know prison time won't bring the victims back, but a lengthy prison term would have showed that justice was done. Apparently the jury didn't see it the same way!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,762,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Well, Jenny Ybarra was sentenced to TWO years prison today. Ten years probation.

Ybarra sentenced to 2 years in prison in drunken driving death | News - Home
No probation , just the two year sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio