Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,758,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It is not fair to make any accusations based on media reports. I am sure the EMT and family are both suffering because of this news, please let's allow the responsible agencies investigate and trust them to take the appropriate actions if necessary.

Cheers! M2

Yes, I second that....
And, as someone else pointed out, it was NOT the SAPD that made the call; they don't do that. The EMS is the only one at the scene considered qualified to make that determination.

What a horrendous, grievous scene. And what a shame for just every single person involved. I'm sure the person or persons who made the call is/are just devastated at their mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I'm just speculating here since I have no real experience in this area but I would imagine that when the emergency team comes upon a terrible accident such as this one that many decisions need to be made very quickly. First aid must be given to those that are obviously alive but may die on the scene if not treated immediatly. I'm sure every effort is taken to treat the victims in the right order. I heard somewhere that this has happened in our area three times in 20 years. Is there room for improvement? Of course, no process is perfect. Should someone hang for this? No, I don't think so.
You asked if someone should hang for this. Not hang, necessarily, but severe, quick punishment needs to be handed out to the drunk driver that caused this in the first place. She didn't even ask how anybody was doing after she slammed into them head on.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Well, majormad, looks like we totally agree on this one! I can't stand a drunk driver. It's the most avoidable tragedy on the road, and it really angers me when people blow it off like it's nothing.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:06 PM

cut & pasted:::
My condolences go out to the family and the victims. I hope if it is proven that the driver of the car that hit them was drunk that she burns in hell! I have no mercy for anyone who drinks so much that they drive the wrong way on a major road like Loop 410 and causes such an accident. Life in jail would still not be enough justice if she is found guilty.

Cheers! M2

and::::

Quote:
If anyone is to blame, it is the alleged drunk driver...

There is no punishment cruel enough for people who drink and drive. There are too many options for people to safely get home if they have been drinking.

Toss the guilty in jail and throw away the key. They are not fit to live in today's society.

M2
Wow, M2, has no one ever told you that alcoholism is a disease? I have more than one friend that has caused major devastation in the lives of
others - yes, including death - that now no longer drink....

There are few situations in life that equal the havoc wreaked on loved ones and others around them, than that of the still-practicing alcoholic....

and you'd probably be surprised to discover you have some within your circle of acquaintances......

I am NOT suggesting that we merely let drunk drivers go on their merry way; in fact, they need to pay their debt immediately and fully....
I'm just saying that a proposed death sentence is not the solution. For every drunk driver that dies, there is a new one coming up in every ten births (an estimate from the National Council on Alcoholism).

Peace and glad tidings..... PGR

Old 12-18-2007, 06:33 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
This thread pretty much follows the same path the media followed on this tragedy, except I'm still waiting for the media to figure out someone actually killed an innocent person.. Sensationalize a small story and completely ignore the real story. Shame on all of them!
I'm quite a few notches above MMM on what I would like done to drunk drivers, so I'll leave that for another section. Something MUCH harsher needs to be done with them though, especially here in San Antonio. I'm probably going to be working a night shift pretty soon which means I'll be one of the few sober people on the road. This city and state seriously needs to work on that; they have a huge problem with it and it's nearly completely ignored..

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM

778 posts, read 2,493,071 times
Tragic situation. Like others here, I don't want to jump to any conclusions based on what we are hearing from the media.

But I did hear the Chief of the Fire Department say that there was no apology needed since the paramedics weren't the ones driving the car that hit the lady. Hello? Granted, he said this before they knew she had died (the second time).

His comments might almost be forgivable (based on everyone's disgust for drunk drivers), however, it is now being reported that one of the SAPD officers at the scene allegedly told an EMT that the lady was breathing. The EMT allegedly responded that she would be dead in a few minutes.

I have no way of telling if this was true and my speculation is no better than anyone else's who was not there. But seriously, regardless of who caused the wreck, regardless of whether or not it was DUI, if it was a multi-injury accident don't we want better than to have something like this be "okay"?

Yeesh! I hope that it turns out that in light of this sad result, that no SAPD officer attempted to alert the EMT's to the fact that the lady was breathing. I hope that is the case.

I hope that the report is false, and want to give them the benefit of the doubt. But a critically injured person sat under a plastic sheet in the cold as a drunk lady complaining of back pains was taken to the hospital for blood tests. That much we know is true. And that is wrong.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Wow, M2, has no one ever told you that alcoholism is a disease? I have more than one friend that has caused major devastation in the lives of others - yes, including death - that now no longer drink....

There are few situations in life that equal the havoc wreaked on loved ones and others around them, than that of the still-practicing alcoholic....

and you'd probably be surprised to discover you have some within your circle of acquaintances......

I am NOT suggesting that we merely let drunk drivers go on their merry way; in fact, they need to pay their debt immediately and fully....
I'm just saying that a proposed death sentence is not the solution. For every drunk driver that dies, there is a new one coming up in every ten births (an estimate from the National Council on Alcoholism).

Peace and glad tidings..... PGR
PGR

Sorry, can't agree with you that it is a "disease." Cancer is a disease. Alcoholism is a problem, but I don't subscribe to the cop-out that it is a "disease." I've had to deal with it between both close family members and friends, and after 25 years in the military I saw my fair share of drunks. My best friend from high school was an alcoholic and it killed him. He was driving drunk (again) and he slammed into the back of a broken down RV and ruptured the propane tank. Needless to say that only increased my hatred of drunk drivers. By claiming it is a disease, people try to generate sympathy for alcoholics. You won't get any from me. It is a personal problem and anyone who has it or knows someone who does needs to get help with it just like any other personality disorder. But no matter how you categorize it, anyone who gets behind the wheel drunk is committing premeditated murder in my book, and should pay the consequences just as they would had they taken a gun and shot an innocent person dead. Just my opinion, of course; but if society wants to really stop incidents like this one from re-occurring, it must take a tough stance on the criminals that commit the crime.

Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to you and yours!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
PGR

Sorry, can't agree with you that it is a "disease." Cancer is a disease. Alcoholism is a problem, but I don't subscribe to the cop-out that it is a "disease." I've had to deal with it between both close family members and friends, and after 25 years in the military I saw my fair share of drunks. My best friend from high school was an alcoholic and it killed him. He was driving drunk (again) and he slammed into the back of a broken down RV and ruptured the propane tank. Needless to say that only increased my hatred of drunk drivers. By claiming it is a disease, people try to generate sympathy for alcoholics. You won't get any from me. It is a personal problem and anyone who has it or knows someone who does needs to get help with it just like any other personality disorder. But no matter how you categorize it, anyone who gets behind the wheel drunk is committing premeditated murder in my book, and should pay the consequences just as they would had they taken a gun and shot an innocent person dead. Just my opinion, of course; but if society wants to really stop incidents like this one from re-occurring, it must take a tough stance on the criminals that commit the crime.

Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Year to you and yours!

Cheers! M2
And to you and your family as well....
but it is not I who classify alcoholism as a disease.
It is the AMA and the National Council on Alcoholism.
But please, you have misunderstood much of my post: You say:

<quote:> "But no matter how you categorize it, anyone who gets behind the wheel drunk is committing premeditated murder in my book, and should pay the consequences just as they would had they taken a gun and shot an innocent person dead. Just my opinion, of course; but if society wants to really stop incidents like this one from re-occurring, it must take a tough stance on the criminals that commit the crime. <end quote>

and you say it as though taking a tough stance and acknowledging the diagnosis by the AMA and the NCA are mutually exclusive. DEFINITELY not so!!!
The legal limit for impairment has been lowered significantly in the last several years, judges are imposing SIGNIFICANTLY longer jail terms than in the past, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY ordering attendance at AA meetings.

Believe me when I say, a drunk that gets behind the wheel and meets the legal definition of intoxication has no more control and decision-making power than a toddler or child.

But don't take my word for it.....
Here is an excerpt from the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence:
http://www.addictiondata.org/whatisalcoholism.html

ETA:::: Oh, and I almost forgot.... the laws have changed a great deal over the last decade or so. Cities, counties and states take drunk driving offenses quite seriously, and impose stiffer fines, longer jail sentences, with longer subsequent probabtionary times. It will be interesting to see what happens to this young woman when she is charged and goes to trial. I am guessing they will charge her with vehicular homicide and she will NOT have an opportunity to plead out with a lesser offense. She will likely serve some time in prison, though it's difficult to say how long. My guess is that she will be released early due to overcrowding, budgets, etc. In that case, expect to see a fairly long probationary period for her. Mandatory counseling and mandatory attendance at AA meetings will accompany her release, whether she is released early, or she serves her entire sentence.

But no, they will not lock her up and throw away the key, nor should they.

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 12-18-2007 at 11:41 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 AM

370 posts, read 878,132 times
Is this the reporting from the same media who just the other day said, (about the raging estranged husband in a divorce case who killed his two young daughters and then himself that...) "this was caused by a bitter divorce." Um, no, the divorce and this were both caused by the fact that he was a raging power-control freak, not the other way around.

When I heard the reporter say that the murder of the two girls was caused because of a bitter divorce I was stunned. Talk about sending the wrong message to abused women!! Talk about giving more power to the power control freaks who already threaten their abused partners with "if you leave me I'll...whatever horrendous thing they can think of." Grrrn, freakin' media!

Gen

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

2,437 posts, read 6,990,928 times
It is a terrible tragedy. It was the EMTs who misdiagnosed the woman that died. It is terrible that it happened. I agree with M2, as we are pointing our fingers towards the EMTs for the misdiagnosis.. we should be looking at the drunk driver who actually caused this tragedy. What is going to happen to them? Locked up for 20 years? Probation? We have a grieving family who will never see their daughter and this individual will not pay as much for this accident as the grieving family will. A life is very costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio